PDA

View Full Version : Unbelievable APA local rule

Wally_in_Cincy
12-05-2002, 01:48 PM
Apparently local APA LO's have some latitude to institute local by-laws. I was talking to a friend just southeast of Pittsburgh who told me a new rule in their league:

<font color="red"> If you are short a player on any given night one of your players can play twice </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Anybody ever heard that one?

breaknrun1
12-05-2002, 02:39 PM
Wally,

I have heard of this rule before. If I remember correctly, the other team decides which of the four players plays twice.

I can guarantee you it doesn't happen in Southwestern Ohio (Lynn Vreenland or Ken McCoy's area)

ChrisW
12-05-2002, 02:49 PM
We have a rule like that here.
If one team is short players they can ask the other team to allow them to play a player twice. That is as far as the rule goes.
Sometimes the other team will decide who plays twice if they let them at all. Usually they do, but around playoff time the short team may lose that point.
Most people may think that nobody will let a team play twice if they don't have to but actually it is not very often that it is denied.
Chris

Wally_in_Cincy
12-05-2002, 03:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote breaknrun1:</font><hr> Wally,

I have heard of this rule before. If I remember correctly, the other team decides which of the four players plays twice.

I can guarantee you it doesn't happen in Southwestern Ohio (Lynn Vreenland or Ken McCoy's area) <hr /></blockquote>

Our LO is Larry Barnes. Just north of Cincy. Butler County.

stickman
12-05-2002, 05:08 PM
Here, a three or a four may play twice, if you are short a person. Fives or better no. The short team picks the player. This applies only to local play. When you go to regionals, you must field a full team or forfeit a match.

jjinfla
12-05-2002, 05:35 PM
For non playoff play I personally think it is a great rule. Remember that the APA is basically a social group composed of average players who want to play. If a team comes up short a man (women are never late or miss a date) then the other team still has to pay their dues for the 5th game and the player who showed up to play the 5th game does not get to play and is stuck with the $7.00 fee. Unless the team captain wants to pay it. Or the rest of the team wants to pay it. This way the 5th player pays it and gets to play. And you have the advantage because you put him up against someone he thinks he can beat. Jake

SPetty
12-05-2002, 05:44 PM
It's been a long time since I played APA, but that was definitely the rule here when I played. The opposing team got to choose who the repeating player would be. I remember one night when only two out of eight of us showed up. I got to play twice (lost both matches). I don't recall that I had to pay twice, so I don't know what happens there. But it also means that the players that are there must hang around to the end in order for the opposing team to choose their choice.

9 Ball Girl
12-05-2002, 09:44 PM
Are you kidding me?! We've been short about 2 times and I've asked my Captain to put me up again. I even offered to go outside and come back wearing a mustache or something! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wendy~~never got to play twice /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

=k=
12-06-2002, 07:33 AM
here we can play one person twice, the team with all players gets to choose which player gets to play twice,on the player short team,( usually the poorer player). we have one team with only 4 players.. their lowest player is a four. k

hustlefinger
12-06-2002, 09:55 AM
Heck ya! Down here in the swamp at the Gator Farm &amp; Bar if'n you show up league night with all five players your ten fingers and a few toes, you're darn lucky. We only have 2's and 3's mostly none live long to be 5's. And we always look'n for new players.

We be need'n this rule.

Rick

Wally_in_Cincy
12-06-2002, 10:27 AM
I was down your way in April. Went to Rum Runners, Tip-a-Few Tavern, and that cool fish place/bar near Port Canaveral and the charter boats but I can't remember the name. Nice beach, nice town, great seafood.

hustlefinger
12-09-2002, 06:04 AM
Hey Wally,

Sorry I didn't reply sooner but this weekend was busy. I'm familiar with Tip-a-Few Tavern but not Rum Runners and there are lots of seafood/Bar places in Port Canaveral. I play at Chalkies on Merritt Island for the most part and if you get a chance the next time you're down e-mail me and we can knock'em around.

Rick
hustlefinger@yahoo.com