PDA

View Full Version : Cue Care

12-05-2002, 09:37 PM
As a really new player I'm still trying to figure out how to best care for my new cue. My wife and I bought a couple of Viking cues to start out with. From some books and the manufacturers web site I have read to never lean your cue against the wall, yet I see players at the pool hall doing it all the time. If you shouldn't, what do you do with your playing cue if your not using it to break, or when your racking balls? If you lean it against the wall so it is almost completely vertical (very little side force exerted that way) and only for a few minutes here and there is that ok or not? I konw these are probably stupid questions to most of you, but I would appreciate your help. Thanks.

Troy
12-05-2002, 10:08 PM
Leaning your cue against a wall for an extended period can cause it to warp. If you leaning your cue while racking, it could get damaged if bumped. Some players put their cue on the table while racking. While breaking you could put your play cue on the floor under the table.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote slide13:</font><hr> As a really new player I'm still trying to figure out how to best care for my new cue. My wife and I bought a couple of Viking cues to start out with. From some books and the manufacturers web site I have read to never lean your cue against the wall, yet I see players at the pool hall doing it all the time. If you shouldn't, what do you do with your playing cue if your not using it to break, or when your racking balls? If you lean it against the wall so it is almost completely vertical (very little side force exerted that way) and only for a few minutes here and there is that ok or not? I konw these are probably stupid questions to most of you, but I would appreciate your help. Thanks. <hr /></blockquote>

stickman
12-06-2002, 12:08 AM
Hey, I shoot with a Viking too, and love it. I break with my cue, so the only time I'm not holding it is when I'm racking. I try not to get too good at racking, but when I must, I lay my cue on the table. Leaning a cue in a bar is a good way to have it knocked to the floor. This is probably a bigger danger than warping. When I'm not holding my cue or laying it on the table, it's in my case. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Perk
12-06-2002, 07:48 AM
When racking, I think the best place for your cue is on the table. A couple reasons: One, its in front of you, and no one can accidentally knock it down. Two, you don't have to question the leaning vs warping issue. And three, it allows you to get the rack in the holder, grab your cue and get out of the way before a person slams the break. Ever had someone waiting very patiently while you get a good rack, then blast them as you are still right there? This eliminates that possibility.

Another way I like, which you may not be able to do yet if ya don't have one, is to use a 2 butt 2 shaft case. When you are temporarily parking your cue away from the table for what ever reason, a lot of people slide it into there case butt first. Then it is vertical with no pressure on the shaft. Never leave your cue when you leave the area. In between matches/games we usually just break down the cues and put them back into a case.

Since its your first cue, my advice/suggestions would be:

1. Never leave your cue in the car.
2. Transport the cue with you like it's a child.
3. If ya go to hotels for tourneys, keep your cue with you or under the bed in the room, so a cleaning person doesn't get a chance at nabbing it or your accessories.
4. Keep your hands clean as much as possible, and wipe down your cue after each session to rid the shaft of dirt/chalk/sweat/etc
5. Don't think that shaving the shaft is the way to go to keep the smooth feeling.
6. Which ever type of case you have, dictates how you are allowed to store your cue at home.
7. If you care for your cue, you wont allow others to use it (aside from maybe hitting a ball or two to see if they like it). More often than not, someone else will not even think or care if they accidentally put a nick or two in it.

Well, good luck in your venture with your new cue. I didn't appreciate my first couple cues, and it cost me some money. But I have learned my lessons. Just my thoughts!!!
/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
12-06-2002, 11:11 AM
You might want to try one of these:

http://www.hawleys.com/supplies/gripper.htm

I have something similar and it works great. BTW Hawleys is a good web source for any billiard supplies.

SPetty
12-06-2002, 12:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Perk:</font><hr> When racking, I think the best place for your cue is on the table. ... Ever had someone waiting very patiently while you get a good rack, then blast them as you are still right there? This eliminates that possibility.<hr /></blockquote>Hi Perk,

I have also learned to put my cue on the table catty-corner rather than along the rail. I had put my cue along the rail like you "normally" see people do it while racking, and while I was bending over to put up the rack, my bastard opponent blasted the rack, just as you describe. The problem was, however, that my cue was still on the table! From that day on I always lay my cue across the table in front of the rack so that the breaker realizes that it IS still on the table!

SPetty~~~Sorry about the bastard word, but dammit... /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

stickman
12-06-2002, 12:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> Hi Perk,

I have also learned to put my cue on the table catty-corner rather than along the rail. I had put my cue along the rail like you "normally" see people do it while racking, and while I was bending over to put up the rack, my bastard opponent blasted the rack, just as you describe. The problem was, however, that my cue was still on the table! From that day on I always lay my cue across the table in front of the rack so that the breaker realizes that it IS still on the table!

SPetty~~~Sorry about the bastard word, but dammit... /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif
<hr /></blockquote>

I'd probably have a few choice words to say too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif