PDA

View Full Version : newbie needs a cheap but decent cue stick!

12-05-2002, 10:22 PM
Hello! I just started playing pool about a month ago, and i play about 3 times a week. I am looking for a cheap but good cue stick. I dont want to spend more then 50 dollers. I was going to buy this Mali at my local pool hall for 100 dollers, but i dont want to spend that much. I want a cue stick that slides good and doesnt warp. I was looking at a titanium one. I prefer one with a wrapped handle, linen or foam. Please help!

Tom_In_Cincy
12-05-2002, 10:35 PM
You might be able to get a used cue for that price.. but you will need to spend over a hundred for the quality you are looking for..

Cuetec Cues are good starter cues.. they start out at $130 but you might find a good deal somewhere on the web.

12-05-2002, 10:44 PM
argh...darnet. are mali cues any good tho?

and does anyone know where i can get them cheap?

Ludba
12-06-2002, 05:00 AM
If you started a month ago, your objective should be to learn and improve. A $300 cue won't help any more in that pursuit than a cheapo. Save your money, get a $50 two-piece brunswick cue or some other generic brand. All you need is some stroke consistency until you get good enough to realize the difference between a $100 cue and a $600 cue. In some cases, the only difference is appearance (inlays, special woods, etc.). The thing you should be trying to avoid is having to use a house cue, which is already warped and mushroom-tipped.

So you get a $50 cheapo cue. If the tip falls off, big deal. You shell out another $10 bucks for a good tip, like Le Pro. Or you go all out and spend $20 buck on a layered tip. The tip is the most important part of the cue anyway. You've spent AT MOST $70 for a stick that will probably last you a year.

In the meantime, you get into a weekly pool league. The best kind, IMO, is a pick-a-prize league. You play once a week for 16 weeks. Each week you pay in $10-$16. At the end of the session you get a pool cue. I paid $16 a week and got a J. Pechauer, which retailed at $340. $16 times 16 weeks equals $256. $84 off retail, plus I got to play in a league every week to improve my skills. We also have a thing with my league where you get two hours of free pool every week. So I'm saving money on practice time.

So you can beat the hell out of the cheapo cue for four months. Then use it as a break cue, when you get your new one. I sold my Brunwick to a friend for real cheap and used my new one for breaking once I put on the layered tip. He's still using el cheapo.

Perk
12-06-2002, 07:21 AM
I can suggest two things based on what you have said.

1. Dont buy a cue. When you practise, "rent" a cue from the pool hall you are playing at. Most of the time its a per session charge around 1.50/2.00. Some places waive this cost if you play there alot. And the cues are usually a step up from the normal 2pc cues you would buy at your cost factor. This will allow you to work on your game and get the feel from a different variety of cues, allowing you to decide what you will look for in a cue.

2. Find a local weekend tourney somewhere close to you where they bring in the tables/equipment. Alot of the times, the booths that sell cues/cases/tips/etc will have really good deals. For instance, at a recent one here in Michigan, on sunday, the day he was closing his booth, he was getting rid of cue/case combos for 89.00. They were Players cues and another brand which i cant recall. Good deal for the price. Also, they normally sell "hustler" style cues for around 60 - 80 dollars. If you arent familiar, they are two piece cues, that look like a bar stick. Yea, they are plain jane, but with a good tip, you got a good cue to learn to take care of and work on your game. These cues have a pretty good feel to them.

I like the idea of the league "pick a price" that was mentioned, but here in the sticks (michigan) I have yet to find one. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Let us know what happens...Just my two sense.

jjinfla
12-06-2002, 07:23 AM
I think Lubda gave some pretty good advice. Why don't you just ask around at the pool hall when there is League play if anyone has a cue they want to sell cheap. You will probably find just about everybody there has a cue at home that they haven't used in a long time and might be willing to sell. Hit a few balls with it and if it feels good buy it. That way if in a few months you lose the pool urge you won't be out a bunch of money. And keep in mind if you can't make a simple 3 foot straight in shot it aint the cue. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Jake

Fred Agnir
12-06-2002, 08:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CBarryNJ:</font><hr> argh...darnet. are mali cues any good tho?

and does anyone know where i can get them cheap? <hr /></blockquote>

I think the lowest price Adam cue is in the $60 range. A Dufferin Sneaky Pete should be in that range as well.

Fred

Sid_Vicious
12-06-2002, 09:25 AM
I have your answer, no joke. Cuetec makes cues within your price range and they shoot damn well, plus they are laminated so warpage should minimal if at all. It would also be great for a utility stick after you grew into wanting something fancy is almost non exixtent(if you did, that is. I don't think you can go wrong, just shop the web for a good price. That's what I'd send you for...sid

Wally_in_Cincy
12-06-2002, 10:10 AM
well you want cheap :

http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cues/jj/jj_page_2.htm

I needed a cheap breaking cue and I bought # 2529. It's not too bad for the money. There's no wrap but a wrap will add considerably to the cost.

stickman
12-06-2002, 10:39 AM
The Action line of cues may do what you want. I can't vouch for how they play, but I do see some people using them in league, and they are in the price range you're seeking. I'm sure one would be better than using a different house cue every time you played.

http://www.cuesforless.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&amp;Store_Code=C&amp;Category_Code =ActionCues

Ludba
12-06-2002, 04:44 PM
I didn't know renting a cue was an option. I haven't heard of that here in austin, tx. That option could wind up being more expensive. 1.50 x 3 days a week x 16 weeks...

But the real issue is "does renting cues improve a newbie's playing skills better than owning a cheap stick?" Some instructors recommend playing with a variety of sticks, but I would suggest that when someone is first getting serious about pool, having the same stick for at least the first several months better promotes stroke consistency and a knowledge of how the cue reacts under different situations. Different cues/tips may skew the information your brain/arm is receiving.

Renting a variety of cues WILL give you a good idea of what kind of cue to buy, but you could probably just as easily try stroking a few times with others' cues. People are usually pretty good about letting you hold their cue out of vanity. All you have to do is get the 'feel' of it.

The other thing is if you own a cue, you can take it and play it anywhere and anytime. A small advantage, but a surprisingly important one.

Finding deals at booths is a great idea. But you should know what you're doing, i.e. gain some knowledge of what to look for in a cue.

stickman
12-06-2002, 06:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stickman:</font><hr> The Action line of cues may do what you want. I can't vouch for how they play, but I do see some people using them in league, and they are in the price range you're seeking. I'm sure one would be better than using a different house cue every time you played.

http://www.cuesforless.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&amp;Store_Code=C&amp;Category_Code =ActionCues <hr /></blockquote>

At the same site, Stealth also has some inexpensive cues. I've never shot with one, but I do have a Stealth jumper, and I'm pleased with it.

TomBrooklyn
12-06-2002, 08:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr>Cuetec<hr /></blockquote>Aren't Cuetec shafts laminated in fiberglass or something? I would stay away from that. But then again he was willing to play with titanium, so fiberglass might not bother him.

<font color="green"> Titanium? Whats the purpose of playing with titanium? Sounds like it might be good for playing pool on the space shuttle.</font color>

TomBrooklyn
12-06-2002, 08:27 PM
Get a sneaky pete from Main-E-Ack. Tell him Tom sent you and he'll throw in a free piece of Master's Chaulk.