PDA

View Full Version : Best books and videos

12-06-2002, 01:53 AM
Which do you think are the best pool instructional books and videos and why?

I think that the best instructional video is Byrne's Volume II. Great graphics.

I think the best book is Play Your Best Pool. Very detailed.

Ludba
12-06-2002, 02:48 AM
I love anything by Phil Capelle. He writes pool books like I think they should be written. His books have some spelling and grammar mistakes, but everything else is top notch.

Byrne's standard and advanced books are good as well. George Fels' Advanced Pool and How would you play this are required reading. Kanov and Stauch's Precision Pool have great diagrams and some good advice, but it's written poorly.

Bert Kinister's 60-minute pool workout video is focused and furious. I didn't dig Byrne's pool workout: the video production was top notch and the general advice was good, but it lacked the focus on drills that Kinister's tape mastered.

Again I refer everyone to Phil Capelle's DVD/book combo "Capelle on Nine-ball: Archer vs. Reyes." Or if you are so blatantly behind the times, you can get the vhs/book combo of the same thing. DVD is better, since you can skip from part to part easily, especially good for watching over and over again. Either way, buy it, watch it, learn from it, love it. www.billiardspress.com (http://www.billiardspress.com)

Fred Agnir
12-06-2002, 08:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SneakyPete:</font><hr> Which do you think are the best pool instructional books and videos and why?<hr /></blockquote>
I think Accu-stats videos of pros playing one-pocket are the best instructional tapes (if you can call them that) you can buy, if one-pocket is your thing. So many patterns, ideas, strategies, not previously so readily available.

Fred

The Rhino Chaser
12-06-2002, 01:32 PM
Play Your Best 9 ball is a great book. As far as video's I learn more from watching matches from Accu-Stats than anything else. The best match I have seen is Evgeny Stalev vs. Charlie Williams from the 2000 DCC.

Mike H
12-06-2002, 01:48 PM
For books, anything by Capelle or George Fels. They're both detailed and simple to understand. Videos are a tougher one to call, there's so much out there. I own the 1st 44 Bert Kinister videos, they're all quality instruction. Grady's kicking and one-pocket videos are good, as are Jimmy Rempe's 14.1 instructionals. For Accu-Stats matches, I really couldn't say buy one and it'll be the Holy Grail for your game. I own about 250 matches and I've learned at least a little something from each and every one (even if it's what NOT to do). My recommendation would be buy a few, learn from them, and trade with other people, or become an addict like me and keep buying LOL Remember, the learning process in this game never ends....so there's always SOMETHING out there for you to pick up.

Regards,
Mike

02-08-2003, 11:06 PM
My two favorites are Mastering pool by George Fels and The Green Felt Jungle by G. Hubler