PDA

View Full Version : Need help on a question!

Eric.
12-06-2002, 10:10 AM
I have a problem with sweaty hands(never trust someone with sweaty palms!) and sometimes it affects my grip on my break cue. I have a Predator BK with no wrap. Sometimes, I swear my hands sweat more than Bill Clinton getting caught in another lie, and I cannot get a decent grip on the cue. I've tried the rubber sleeve, wiping the cue/hands down, a batting glove(!). The batting glove worked good, but I couldn't stand the Michael Jackson jokes from my understanding buddies. I was thinking about using "Stick Em", you know, the stuff Baseball players use, to make it more tacky. Any ideas?

Eric

9 Ball Girl
12-06-2002, 10:14 AM
Eric, as wacky as this may sound, and I've posted this here before 'cause someone else posted it, how about rubbing some antiperspirant on your hands. It's suppose to work. And hey, you won't offend your opponents! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wendy~~never let 'em see you sweat /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Perk
12-06-2002, 10:16 AM
Dont put anything on that cue that is sticky...IMO....That would only hurt the butt..and take a chance of getting it on your shaft? NO WAY....The Predator BK is awesome, I would hate to here of your next post...subj: Anyone want a damaged PBK?

Probably the only thing ya can do is keep a towel with ya similiar to a bowler...maybe use a rosen bag for your break hand...while your at it get a slip and slide bag for your shaft hand...j/k

<---thinking about which bag he is holding before he breaks? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Scott Lee
12-06-2002, 11:18 AM
Eric...I have the perfect answer to your problem. There is a new product out, invented by Tom Walker of Chicago, and just picked up by J/S Sales (Cuetec) for their catalog. It is a thin flexible plastic sleeve that slides over the shaft. It is about 6 inches long, and expands and contracts to move extremely easily over the shaft. You merely slide the sleeve on, and it works in your hand on the area where the cue slides through your bridge...works well with open or closed bridges...even an open palm bridge like Luther Lassiter used to use for awkward reach shots! Email me, and I can get one to you. Not sure of the price, but I'm CERTAIN is under $10! A POOL (not baseball) glove is still a great alternative to sweating hands, but this product is sensational! Tom showed it to me right after he invented it almost 8 years ago. He has just sold a bunch to J/S Sales.

Scott Lee

MikeM
12-06-2002, 02:23 PM
Eric,

There actually was a segment on the Today show this morning about this topic. A woman had just had surgery to disconnect her "sympathetic nerve". Here's a link to the story.

MM

Eric.
12-06-2002, 03:30 PM
As always, you guys are the best!

Wendy- I've actually tried that! Unfortunately, the stuff wears off after a short while (keeps you smelling shower fresh, though)

Perk- I've been thinking Rosin Bag too. Hell, I'll give it a try.

Scott- Appreciate the tip, but I don't think the "Snug Bug" is for me.

Mike- What the HELL is that blackbird icon next to your name?!(Did you defect?)

Chris Cass
12-06-2002, 03:41 PM
Hi Eric,

I always keep a damp towel with me and did so in Vegas, with towels from the mens room every match. Now, a little powder isn't bad either but, it may be as simple as you might be gripping the cue too tightly.

Anyway, it seems that when a match is important enough the hands might sweat. Also, if the play is long. My hands don't actually sweat but they will heat up quite a bit. Keep them clean and if you do use the rosin or powder remember a little is better, than a lot. I rarely use the stuff but when I do. I'll take and touch the tips of two fingers and rub it on. Then, I'll wipe it off with a dry towel. JAT

Regards,

C.C.

smfsrca
12-06-2002, 03:42 PM
I am not sure why you don't just use a billiard glove other than your thin skin. The hell with what others think. When you are kicking their a**es they won't have much to say.
I have a friend of mine who is a semi-pro level player that wears a glove on each hand because he is an opposite hand shooter when it is required. We still joke with him about it but he still wins all the moola. The fact that he wears glove in no way diminishes our respect for him as a player.

Eric.
12-06-2002, 04:16 PM
Hi Steve,

You're right about being thin skinned, although that's usually not me!
I may go back to a batting glove on my grip hand in the future.

Eric

Eric.
12-06-2002, 04:20 PM
Hey Chris,

I do the damp paper towel with a little handsoap in it routine too. Actually, that's my gig up to now, was hoping there was a better way.

Eric >have you looked into a Holistic diet?

Vapros
12-06-2002, 04:20 PM
I get the impression that your complaint is that you have trouble gripping the cue with the back hand. If that's the case, you should benefit from this hint, which is a relic of my days as a bowler. Use a lightweight cloth towel and wet one end of it. Wring the water out of it, leaving it damp. Carry it in your hand between shots and you should get good results. It not only leaves your skin a bit tacky and ready for a good grip, but I believe that after a while you may stop sweating. A tacky grip is no good on your bridge hand, but you might find that if you put down the towel a little sooner, and perhaps blow on the hand, it may work there also.

Not only that, but you will have the means to wipe down the cue now and then, and have the dry end of the towel to take up any moisture left behind, and to buff the shaft. Good luck.

Scott Lee
12-06-2002, 10:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> As always, you guys are the best!

Scott- Appreciate the tip, but I don't think the "Snug Bug" is for me.<hr /></blockquote>

Eric...I have NO idea what the "snug bug" is, but it is NOT
the product I am talking about! However, if you aren't even interested in trying it out...well then, OK! This product was developed SPECIFICALLY for hyperhydrosis (which is what your problem is)!

After reading Vagabond's post, I had not read into it what he did. If you bridge hand is the problem, we've given you answers. If the butt hand is a problem, now you know what to do with that too! BTW, I saw the same program this morning on TV about cutting the sympthetic nerve...sounded like a very easy, in-office procedure. She was home after two hours!

Chris Cass
12-06-2002, 11:34 PM
Hi Eric,

The pitfall of that is it will eventually, dry your hands out. I have a friend that hands sweat so much when he shakes your hand you have to wipe it off. Something else. This is a tough one. His shaft doesn't shine and the wrap is literally soaked. I think I'll check into this with my nurse tomorrow. Maybe there's a hand treatment for this. Your not alone in this. It may be as easy as a lotion. I do think it has to do with a slight adrenaline surge.

Regards,

C.C.