PDA

View Full Version : What's been your Best and Favourite WIN ?

bigbro6060
12-06-2002, 05:05 PM
Mine was in this pub 8 ball tournament a few months ago. For a pub tournament, this particular night it had a field of 32 with some good players. The matches were only best of 1 rack so anything could happen. a Toss of the coin usually decided who had the choice of breaking in the rack. In the semis my opponent wanted me to break, obviously hoping i'd come up dry and he'd have a nice open table. I broke and run ! Then in the final i broke and run again, this time it was very stylishly, was a hard runout, well for me anyway

stickman
12-06-2002, 07:08 PM
They're all my favorites! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I've had a lot of wins that were special to me, usually playing tougher opponents, but if I had to pick one, it would be my very first APA match. We were playing 8ball. I won the first match, but even though I called the pocket, I forgot to mark it. One of the guys on the other team that I knew well, told me, "You forgot to mark the pocket." I thought he was being nice and simply reminding me, and said thanks. The opponent racked and I broke the next rack. I won this one, but this time I remembered to mark the pocket. The next game was close but my opponent won. The fourth game was close again, but won by my opponent. At the end of this game, they announced that that was it. It was a race to three. I was confused, and surprised. They then proceeded to tell me that I had lost the game that I failed to mark the pocket on. I shook my opponents hand and dejectedly went to sit down. I was bummed out about loosing that way. My coach had spent very little time explaining the rules to me, and was at the other end of the hall playing for money, during my match. I was disappointed and decided to go home and make a short night of it. On the way home, I kept thinking about it, and thought "If I lost, why did they let me break the next rack?" I didn't know much about the rules, but thought this was wrong. When I got home, I called the pool hall and talked to the LO. I asked him about it, and he told me to come back up and finish the match. If they let me break the next rack, the game was mine. When I returned, I was out for blood! LOL The last game was very lop-sided with me winning. I've never forgot to mark a pocket since. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

sack316
12-06-2002, 09:22 PM
I wouldn't call it my best, but for sure my favorite. Both team from my home bar were matched up that night in 9 ball, and me and my bartender Brian had agreed to play each other cuz he wanted revenge from the first match. Well, the very first rack everyone was all excited about it and me and Brian decided to play for shots on the racks. Well, it would up taking 20 minutes before I got to break because the entire bar decided to get in on the action and everybody had side bets going on our first rack. Well suddenly a fun game had some pressure because of all the people that bet on me. So I decided every semi-decent chance I got I would go for the combo to get it out of the way. I missed an easy combo on the 9, but next shot I made a very hard combo that I should not have even tried for, and my people went crazy and many beers and shots went around. I also would up winning the overall match as well. It was just a great night where we all had fun, and for sure got too wasted to worry about the team match (I don't even remember who won!)

Ludba
12-06-2002, 10:15 PM
I've had three big wins all very recently. My favorite was against a seemingly much better player. He's a 7 in APA eight-ball, and I'm a 5. We played in a BCA tournament a few weeks ago. It was a race to two, and I had already won my previous two matches.

I won the first game against him fairly easily. The second game was more difficult initially, but he fouled and left me a four-ball run. I sank the first, second, and third balls. It should have been an easy position play to get downtable to put the eight in the corner, but I came up three feet shy of my target area. Now the best option was to do the long bank and leave the cue ball near the side rail so he had no shot on his remaining ball in case I missed the bank. I stroked through and was so focused on the cue ball, which came to rest perfectly on the rail, that I barely noticed the 'plop' the eight made in the corner.

I was playing some amazing pool that night, and that win was the icing on the cake.

12-07-2002, 08:47 AM
I beat Dino Nair at the 2001 WPC-he only won one match out of seven and it was only one rack but it meant a lot to me.

cheesemouse
12-07-2002, 10:47 AM
My last one /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
12-07-2002, 12:11 PM
<font color="blue"> This is culled from an old post of mine. Stop me if you've heard this one </font color>

"Bear with me. The good part is at the end.

We got a team of ballbangers together just for fun this summer for APA 8-ball. We knew we would not win much but that was ok.

We had:
a bad 2
a bad 3
another bad 3
a good 3
a good 4 (Kathy)
a decent 5 (me)

About 2 weeks into the session my friend Dave calls (a good 5) and wants to play with us. I said "sure".

We ended up in next-to-last place out of 12 teams but we got a "wild card" spot in the playoffs. In APA the first place team at the end of a session gets trophies and a berth in the annual regional tourney. The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place teams plus a "wild card" team (drawn out of a hat) play 2 rounds of playoffs. The playoff winner also gets trophies and a tourney berth.

Last week we beat the 2nd place team in their house. They were not happy campers.

Last night:
My good 3 lost
Kathy won
Dave won
My bad 3 lost

So it's down to me and their best player (he's a 6). I absolutely annihilated him 4-0 in 6 innings. It was the best pool I've played in months.

Now the good part:
I shook his hand and turned to shake my teammates hands and behind me I heard "5 my a$$" then the unmistakeable sound of a Predator sneaky pete being smashed against the corner of a Valley Dynamo. I wanted to laugh so bad I couldn't stand it."

<font color="blue">We grabbed our trophies and got the heck outta there. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

silverbullet
12-07-2002, 01:03 PM
Something the way losers accuse their opponents of sandbagging, especially when beat by a lower sl hardi har.
Great playing Wally.

Laura

Scott Lee
12-08-2002, 12:43 PM
My first pro tournament...Oct. 1975, Burlington, IA! EVERYBODY was there! McCready was 17, I was 22! He had lost out early in the tournament at the civic center, but had a strong backer and was beating all comers in the "green room" at the hotel. I had just picked up my FIRST custom cue, that I had ordered from Bill Stroud 6 months earlier...and I hadn't missed a ball in two days!! It was a matter of being in the right place at the right time. As Keith's most recent opponent was walking away, the kid says, "I'll give ANYBODY the last 3 and the break, for $300 a rack!" I stepped up and said, "I'll try ya some!" I had only two barrels in my pocket ($600), but with that kind of weight, and the way I was playing, I HAD to step up! LOL Since we were paying by the game, no $$$ was posted, but I had seen Keith's BR...a roll of $100's that would choke a horse! I stepped up, broke, and made the 9 on the break! LOL UP $300...but he didn't pay! He just stepped up and angrily reracked! I broke again, made two balls and ran out! Now I was up $600, and still had my own $600! But Keith STILL didn't pay! He swore, and racked em up again! Now, normally I would not play without being paid on the spot. However, I had a few friends there watching, and we agreed privately that we could TAKE the money, if that became necessary! So, without making an issue, I broke again! Made a ball, ran two, and combo'd the 9 in! LMAO! Now Keith is starting to get hot under the collar! He is stuck $900 and hasn't even got to the table yet...except to RACK! LOL With him literally throwing balls down into the rack, I broke, made another 9 on the break and ran two more racks off the break, before he got really pissed and quit. Funny thing is, he acted EXACTLY like the character he played in the Color of Money! Obviously he wasn't acting!...just playing himself! Anyway, he THROWS his cue down on the table, takes out this huge wad of money, and quickly counts off 18 C-notes, leaving them on the rail! He picks up his cue and storms off, fuming, with a black cloud over his head! I walked up, picked up the money, put it into my pocket, and said "THANKS Keith!", as he left the room! BTW, this all took place in less than 20 minutes! LOL Definitely my FAVORITE win!

Scott Lee

12-08-2002, 02:00 PM
Sounds like your Rabbitts foot was working overtime that day!

Rod
12-08-2002, 03:05 PM
I have a lot of favorites but one that sticks out is a game of golf. Played a guy in the Denver area years ago. The bet was high to begin with and I had him stuck almost 2 grand. The last game we played was for a grand and 50 a hickie which I won by running the last 4 holes. I liked that game!

My partner at the time and I stopped in a bar in Gardina Calif one sat night. Everybody in the joint liked side bets. I played and my bud took the bets. We won over 2K the first night. The next weekend we went back and still won near 1500. The next weekend a little lower etc. After about 6 times it went down to 5 or 6 hundred then the action died. Lots more to the story but I liked those games to!

Silver City, New Mexico. Seems like an unlikely place. Boy did those guy like to bet! This is one hell of a long story but to keep it short we won a few thousand in a very short time and had to get the hell out of there! It was split three ways and nothing was underhanded, just straight up games of pool. People just don't like loosing when it's all said and done.

You asked for 1 and I told three, there are lots more but that is gambling.

My favorite game had to be when I played Joe Balsis in an exibition. Joe had 6 to his credit and I had 13 and left a safe. He kicked at a ball near a pocket, (something he would not normally do and missed). I was on a run of 81 with no sign of anything going wrong. Well it did, I made the worst possible mistake, either miss a ball or scratch. I scratched, how the hell did that happen? I really got a bad roll but that can happen if there is anything left to chance. I didn't feel there was any thing chancy to this break out shot, but I figured wrong. Joe stepped up and run 119 and out, end of match. I really enjoyed that game plus another one of my all time favorites Jimmy Moore was there to watch.

Popcorn
12-08-2002, 04:16 PM
I think I was at that tournament. Didn't Bill Stegall(sp?) run it? It was big at the time, drew over a hundred players. Did you ever go to any of the tournaments at Joe Burn's place in Dayton. Major action.

Ludba
12-08-2002, 06:14 PM
Another one of my recent three favorite wins:

The best part of the win was that my opponents were complete pricks. Their captain Rene started off by rushing my BCA team into playing. I had only shot two times since I’d gotten to the pool hall, so I told him to hold on.

In my first game, I played Vince, who has some serious anger management issues anyway. He racked, and I saw that the head ball had come loose from the second row, so I asked him to re-rack.

He was obviously not pleased and asked loudly, “What?”

I raised my voice, “The two-ball is not touching the second row.”

He walked over and re-racked. I examined the rack and broke. I beat him, though he had a good run on his first inning.

I played Rene in my second game. I knew he would make me re-rack, so I was prepared when he pointed out the gap between the head ball and the second row. I re-racked without comment, and he pointed to the third row, “The one-ball isn’t touching the eight.” I re-racked again, as he walked over to Vince to confide his 'clever' sharking tactic.

I interrupted him in mid-sentence, “Hey, Rene! Come check this rack.” He inspected for several seconds, found no gaps whatsoever, and said, “I can live with that.” I had to keep from laughing.

So he broke and sank nothing. As I grabbed my cue and headed to the table, I couldn’t help but gloat, “All that racking for nothing.” We proceeded to play a fairly good game. My shot on the eight was basically a short spot shot. I was going to send the eight into the right corner, but I had two problems. It looked like an easy scratch into the left corner, and even if I avoided the scratch and missed the eight, I would leave him a short rail shot for his last ball and probably an eight ball hanger. I wanted to use follow to leave the cue ball near the end rail in case I missed the eight, so he would be left with a difficult long rail shot.

Unfortunately, the left corner pocket loomed large enough to swallow even a follow shot. So I shot the eight ever so soft with center-ball. The eight fell straight in, and the cue ball drifted just inside the jaws of the corner pocket. It was a beautiful shot. Rene shook my hand and said, “That was a good shot. Good game.”

PoolChick02
12-08-2002, 08:04 PM
My win was just a few months ago in October when I won my first college tournament! It was an 8-ball, single elimination tournament. I was the only girl in the tournament and with a field of 40 players, it was pretty tough, but very exciting. All of my matches were great, but the final was the best. Everyone was there to watch as I was to face the defending champion! I was pretty nervous, but I overcame it because before I knew it I was running out for the win!

PoolChick02~ I will never forget this one!

Scott Lee
12-08-2002, 10:57 PM
Popcorn...Not sure if Bill Stegall ran it or just who it was. Bill Incardona CLAIMS he was the promoter. LOL However, my recollection is that the promoter ran off with the prize $$$! Do you recall it that way? I wanted to go to that tournament SO bad, I hitchiked there and back, from Colorado! LOL Never played in any of Joe Burns Dayton tournaments.

Scott

bigbro6060
12-08-2002, 11:08 PM
Classic stuff Scott ! classic stuff!

good on ya

1800 in 20 mins, that's an earning rate of 5400/hour !