PDA

View Full Version : help

bucktoothbandit
03-10-2002, 09:42 AM
how do you tell when you have already read a post?

MaineEAck
03-10-2002, 09:45 AM
I think the little icon next to the title turns yellow...

Q-guy
03-10-2002, 10:38 AM
I don't think that is right. Mine are different colors and I don't read all that many posts. I keep my preference set for the last day only that helps. It seems if you read in the flat setting the posts don't get highlighted. That can cause a problem. Can I ask you something, and don't take this personal. Why don't you use a spell check? This may not seem important but you are now working on cues. A cuemaker is a person who considers attention to detail important. I think it does not reflect well on you the way you write. Something to think about.

JimS
03-10-2002, 10:43 AM
When I read a post the title in the list changes color and the post title is underlined.????
But what is up with the icons changing color? I've not figured that out yet.....after weeks!
Regards, JimS

MaineEAck
03-10-2002, 10:45 AM
huh? what did I spell wrong? Sorry, I usually run it through word, but when I copy past it, it comes out all messed up! with random letter in weird places

MaineEAck
03-10-2002, 10:48 AM
maybe it's the way I have my settings, but when I read a message the icon changes from orange to yellow! maybe I am just lucky? /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

TomBrooklyn
03-10-2002, 12:21 PM
Hi Bandit,

There are a number of ways to view the board which work differently. I haven't experimented with it much since I am satisfied with how I have it now. The way I have it set up, it is immediately clear which posts I haven't read. This is how it appears to me:

The icon in the left column is yellow if no new posts have been made since I last opened the thread, and orange if a new post has been made since I last opened the thread.

In the reply column, there is one number if I have read all the posts, and two numbers if I haven't. The main number is the total number of replies made, and the second number (in parenthesis) is how many replies have been made since I last opened the thread. After I open the thread, the pararenthesis' will disappear until someone makes at least one new post in that thread, when the number in parenthesis will then reappear as (1) and increase with every added post until I open the thread again.

Also, every time someone posts in a thread, that thread goes to the top of the board. So all the posts I haven't read are at the top of the first page, I need not look any further.

When I open the thread, it doesn't tell show me which posts I haven't read, but if the parenthesis number was (3), I know it's the last three posts in the list that opened.

You might get more info from the FAQs. Click on FAQ on the menu on the bottom.

While your there, check out "Why Is A Post's Subject So Important". It will probably help you get better awnsers to your questions. /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

-------------------------------------------------------------
I have my setting set as follows: =You can adjust your settings in "My Home" from the top menu.=

When you login do you want to go to your My Home or the main index? Main Index

Default aged threads to be displayed: Active in the last week

Default sort order: Descending

Default display mode: Flat Mode

Default view: Collapsed Threads

Total parent posts to show per page: 75

Total posts to show on one page when viewing a post in flat mode: 25

Post Format ( top = Post headers on top : side = Post headers on the left):Side

Do you want the preview post screen off or on? On

View other user's pictures in their profile? Yes

View user's pictures with their posts? Yes

Do you want to view other user's signatures with their posts: Yes

CarolNYC
03-10-2002, 08:40 PM
Hi there,
It should be underlined!
carol

SPetty
03-11-2002, 12:20 PM
Hi Tom,

Mine seems to work like yours, but for the fact that if I come and see the board but don't get around to reading all the new ones that I haven't read yet, then the next time I'm at the board, they no longer show up as a number in parentheses, so I don't know that I haven't read them! Have you noticed that as well, or are your numbers staying even if you don't read the posts?

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TomBrooklyn:</font><hr>
The icon in the left column is yellow if no new posts have been made since I last opened the thread, and orange if a new post has been made since I last opened the thread.

In the reply column, there is one number if I have read all the posts, and two numbers if I haven't. The main number is the total number of replies made, and the second number (in parenthesis) is how many replies have been made since I last opened the thread. After I open the thread, the pararenthesis' will disappear until someone makes at least one new post in that thread, when the number in parenthesis will then reappear as (1) and increase with every added post until I open the thread again.
<hr></blockquote>

cheesemouse
03-11-2002, 01:48 PM
I'm not sure about this but I understand if you have your security levels are set too high in your p/c the cookies that are required to keep track of your preferences may act somewhat fickle and may cause random things to happen in reguards to your viewing of the board.

TomBrooklyn
03-11-2002, 04:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: SPetty:</font><hr>Hi Tom, Mine seems to work like yours, but for the fact that if I come and see the board but don't get around to reading all the new ones that I haven't read yet, then the next time I'm at the board, they no longer show up as a number in parentheses, so I don't know that I haven't read them! Have you noticed that as well, or are your numbers staying even if you don't read the posts? <hr></blockquote>SP, That doesn't happen to me if I close the board and reopen while still maintaining the same dial-up connection. But, I just tried disconnecting and reconnecting to the internet and sure enough, all the parenthesis numbers and orange colors were gone. However, I cleaned my temp internet files about an hour ago which probably wiped out my CCB cookie. As cheesemouse said elsewhere, your terminal has to communicate with the board via cookies for it to know what you've read or not.

Generally I think I can disconnect and reconnect and still find the unread threads orange and parenthesized. I'm going to check it in the upcoming days. On the other hand, I think, though I'm not sure, that if I don't read a thread for several days eventually the parenthesis number goes away on thier own. I haven't paid that close of attention to it because usually if I don't read a thread for several days, it's not one of the threads I'm particularly interested in, or I may figure on catching up with it later.