PDA

View Full Version : What's your Highest Straight Pool Run ?

bigbro6060
12-07-2002, 08:51 AM
wondering if we have any decent straight pool players here /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

12-07-2002, 09:21 AM
Like I was saying in a different post, I recently started playing a bit more straight pool, and my highest so far is 75. And a good friend in a wheelchair recently ran 199. Hope one day I can play as good as him!!

Tom_In_Cincy
12-07-2002, 09:32 AM
High run is 42.. but that was in the 80s.. recently I had a 35.. but that was about 3 years ago.

I only play the game about 2 or 3 times a month now.. I am planning to rejoin the Cincinnati Straight Pool League next year. Maybe I will get more playing time doing that.. I still think 14.1 and One Pocket are my favorite games.

9 Ball Girl
12-07-2002, 10:37 AM
My high run is 48. I was in a deep zone. And I mean deep. I wish I could reach down and be deep like that again. I don't know if it was because it was a new table or what, but I can only do about 11-18 balls at a time now.

Wendy~~should try meditation? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
12-07-2002, 11:56 AM
Well like I told d0wnt0wn one time I've never lied about my game and I'm not gonna start now.

High runs: 24, 24, 20 , 18, 18, 14 a few times. Obviously the second break shot is my Achille's heel.

In 3 years I've probably played about 90 matches and practiced 14.1 maybe 40 hours total. Guess I better practice more or play more /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

nAz
12-07-2002, 12:12 PM
Hi run of 14 in straight /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif and 3 1/2 racks nine ball /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TomBrooklyn
12-07-2002, 01:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> should try meditation? <hr /></blockquote>Perhaps omphaloskepsis would be helpful for those desiring to get in the zone for better potting, at least for those with an inny.

eg8r
12-07-2002, 02:02 PM
I have to say straight pool is my favorite game. I have only played the game once in the last few years but it sparked my interest again. My high run is 23 and I did this while in the 9th grade in high school. I have never beaten it since. While in high school I was able to rattle off at least the rack if I was left with a shot but could never put more than one together at a time. Once I hit college and quit practicing my game went down with it. I played a couple weeks ago against a really good player and lost 150 - 22. A pretty humbling experience especially after missing so many simple shots. The one thing that I have not lost was the ability to play a pretty good safety if I do not have a shot.

eg8r &lt;~~~Hopes OPC and Richard will play some more straight pool

Hopster
12-07-2002, 02:34 PM
Highest run was 30 balls on June 27,1994. Hows That for recall ?? lol
Tons in the 20+ area but i could just never achieve greatness.

Popcorn
12-07-2002, 02:39 PM
If you play a lot of straight pool running balls is kind of a trick. Although many here may not have posted any what they would consider high runs, it is solely due to not playing the game and not knowing how to run balls. When it was very popular years ago, in the city everyone could run balls. There was a hundred ball runner in every poolroom. Not because they played better, they know the game, today few do. My high run is around 200 within a few balls because who was counting. You did not pay attention in practice till you got up there a little and sometimes had lost the exact count. Practice runs don't count though, because you may do something that continues the run, you would not do in a match. When I was a complete straight pool nut, I would go over a hundred on a daily basis. I need to add one more thing though, the table has a lot to do with it. On an easy fast table with clean balls that break up nicely, running balls is nothing. On a slow tight table, 50 might be almost impossible. The results of the answers here will not really tell you much about the real speed of the player here. Like I said, the game has some tricks to it. I was practicing along side Joe Balsas at the US open one year in Chicago and he showed me a few things that increased my runs by maybe 20%. He showed me different ways to keep key shots based on my speed as a player. In other words because I am no world beater, I need to design a style of play that will get the most out of me. I was keeping key shots that did not give me much room for error. He show me how to play so even an idiot could run balls. It was amazing what a difference it made. The way some of these kids play 9-ball today, if they played straight pool and knew how, they would run hundreds easy.

Mike H
12-07-2002, 06:00 PM
Ran off a 131 earlier this year in practice. Followed with a 45. Still pi$$ed about that damn 12-ball. LOL I'll get it right someday........

SpiderMan
12-07-2002, 06:28 PM
Popcorn,

That's some interesting commentary. I consider myself a pretty good recreational player, and have recently started playing straight pool, but my high run is only 30 balls. Yes, that was in a game on a tight table, but still 30 is a pretty low number.

If it's a matter of familiarity with the game and some basic understanding, can you recommend some study material that might be useful?

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> If you play a lot of straight pool running balls is kind of a trick. Although many here may not have posted any what they would consider high runs, it is solely due to not playing the game and not knowing how to run balls. When it was very popular years ago, in the city everyone could run balls. There was a hundred ball runner in every poolroom. Not because they played better, they know the game, today few do. My high run is around 200 within a few balls because who was counting. You did not pay attention in practice till you got up there a little and sometimes had lost the exact count. Practice runs don't count though, because you may do something that continues the run, you would not do in a match. When I was a complete straight pool nut, I would go over a hundred on a daily basis. I need to add one more thing though, the table has a lot to do with it. On an easy fast table with clean balls that break up nicely, running balls is nothing. On a slow tight table, 50 might be almost impossible. The results of the answers here will not really tell you much about the real speed of the player here. Like I said, the game has some tricks to it. I was practicing along side Joe Balsas at the US open one year in Chicago and he showed me a few things that increased my runs by maybe 20%. He showed me different ways to keep key shots based on my speed as a player. In other words because I am no world beater, I need to design a style of play that will get the most out of me. I was keeping key shots that did not give me much room for error. He show me how to play so even an idiot could run balls. It was amazing what a difference it made. They way some of these kids play 9-ball today, if they played straight pool and knew how, they would run hundreds easy. <hr /></blockquote>

silverbullet
12-07-2002, 06:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> should try meditation? <hr /></blockquote>Perhaps omphaloskepsis would be a particularly helpful meditation where better potting was the desired result, at least for those with an inny. <hr /></blockquote>

hey Tom, did ya make that word up? /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

TomBrooklyn
12-07-2002, 08:37 PM
No. Mystics over the centuries have practiced omphaloskepsis, believing that it would help them achieve divine realization, enlightenment, and awareness of other dimensions. However, the actual english word omphaloskepsis did not come about until the twentieth century when someone combined the Greek words ompahlos and skepsis.

Omphalos is Greek for navel.
Skepsis is Greek for examination.

The two words were combined to become omphaloskepsis which means to meditate on one's navel. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

In Greek mythology, Zeus charged two eagles to find the center of the earth. He released one from the east and one from the west. They met at Delphi, which indicated that was the center of the earth. It became an oracle or a place where oracles resided, capable of forcasting the future. A decorated stone was placed to mark the spot, and the stone was named Omphalos because it was the middle or 'navel' of the earth.

So thats how it came to be. <font color="purple"> Look it up in your Funk and Wagnalls. </font color> <font color="orange"> You can bet your sweet bippy on it.</font color> http://timvp.com/laughin3.jpg

Popcorn
12-07-2002, 09:35 PM
George Fels wrote some books that centered on straight pool some time back. The problem with books though are, (I am not referring to Mr. Fels book, just books in general). They show you what a pro with more skill then the average player will ever have says to do. For example the key shot you always see shown is a stop shot into the side. If the average player keeps a key ball there the chances are they will end up with some kind of an angle and screw it up and have no break shot. There are better key shots that guarantee you will have some kind of break. With a little luck you find yourself into you in the forth or fifth rack. One of the things that keeps players from running balls is they don't clear the table correctly. Near the end of the rack they have balls all over the table. The table should be cleared a section at a time. The last balls should be close to each other where you can easily finish the rack with position on the break shot. Try to never paint yourself into a corner, you should have an alternate shot should something go wrong or you just change your mind. You have to be creative also. You can't get some thought in your head that won't let you see other possibilities. I would disagree with people who try to paint straight pool as the game of the masters. It is a very forgiving game, it is just a matter of knowing how to play it just like any other game. It requires no more skill then any other game. Actually every game has it's own challenges and they should not be compared. Straight pool is a good game to play if you like onepocket. It has a lot of close up stuff and small movements that come that will aid your one pocket. All the good straight pool players were also good one pocket players. Once in line they seem to go out like it is nothing. Maybe some others will have more to add. These are just some disconnected thoughts. There is a lot to it, but it is not brain surgery

cueball1950
12-08-2002, 12:14 AM
i believe i have a few runs over 70 a few years back. most recently. gotta be in the high 60"s. no time to play anymore. such a shame. but i know some one on here that has a high run of about 326 balls. but i won't give his name away.......lol.......................mike

Chris Cass
12-08-2002, 02:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cueball1950:</font><hr> but i know some one on here that has a high run of about 326 balls. but i won't give his name away.......lol.......................mike <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Mike,

It must be Steve Lipski or Kato. Kato? Well, I don't doubt it. LOL I wish it was me but my high run when I played it was 168. I was 17 at the time. I know one guy that'll play it but he's not around a lot. Lately, I've been so taken with one hole. Can't wait to play some.

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif wishes just to play one pocket tourneys. Well, really wishes he didn't have to wait 6 mths to play. again.

12-08-2002, 02:45 AM
126 in 1979, since then I've hit 80+ a bunch of times but never able to hit the magic 100 barrier yet. I guess if there were more serious straight pool players around it would be easier to hit high runs often...like sparring for a boxing match, it's hard to do a serious run if you're not playing someone. I find it easier to get close to 100 if the person I'm playing doesn't rattle me...of course, if I'm playing Steve Lipsky or Danny Barouti, my high run is around 1 rack. :/

PoolMouse, NYC

Chris Cass
12-08-2002, 03:03 AM
Hi Ya Poolmouse,

I sure like Steve. Wonder what he's up to lately. I'm sure he's playing but still wished he post something once in awhile. Wonder what happened to Jason too?

Regards,

C.C.~~wondering..

9 Ball Girl
12-08-2002, 03:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> Hi run of 14 in straight /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif<hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Fred Agnir
12-08-2002, 09:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigbro6060:</font><hr> wondering if we have any decent straight pool players here /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Although straight pool was the first game I learned to play, there simply isn't any being played in my area of Massachusetts. Odd.

I've practiced 14.1 twice in the past 4 years, whereas 10 years ago, I practiced it more, and for no apparent reason other than a learning tool.

All that being said, my high run is a 68, which happened on the first inning of the last time I "practiced."

Fred

Rod
12-08-2002, 01:59 PM
Well when I could make a ball, 154 was high in practice and 113 for a high run in a tournament.

Chris Cass
12-08-2002, 07:10 PM
#### Leonard, well into the 3 hundreds. Him and Joe Canton played togather. He also has beaten some of the greatest people we hear of and these legends played strong.

Regards,

C.C.

MarkUrsel
12-09-2002, 02:24 PM
30 in tournament, 46 in practice...not in Steve Lipsky's zone yet, which sucks because I have to play him tonight! Thankfully it's a 9-ball match, so I'll at least have a fighting chance.

12-09-2002, 04:24 PM
30 to 40 balls avg with an occasional 50+ ball run.
I was playing the best pool of my like in a tournament one nite and had a run of 267 balls before the clock went off and i had to get up &amp; go to work.

MERRY CHRISTMAS YA'LL

#### leonard
12-11-2002, 08:36 AM
Rod I won the high run prize in the 66 Salt City tournament in Syracuse with a run of 115 and out in 125 point matches. Entered was Irving Crane,Joe Balsis,Art Cranfield,Cisero Murphy,Ray Martin,Joe Canton,Steve Mizerak the Winner. Steve also ran 115 and out but as I pointed out to the Tournament Director he did his in the 150 final game so his high run should be based on 125 points not 150 therefore leaving him a run of 90. I must have made sense because they agreed with me.####

Rod
12-11-2002, 11:48 AM
Hi Leonard,
HA HA HA well all I can say is you must have been a born salesman. Only you could throw that pitch and get everyone to believe it! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Good run by the way.

#### leonard
12-11-2002, 01:00 PM
Rod I lost to Babe Cranfield 125-123, I came up short on the break shot and stuck myself in the side of the rack I needed two while the Babe needed 23. I played him safe up table and made a dead kiss which he made and ranout. I should have played to the back of the rack and banked my two and out. The next game The Babe loses to our favorite player 125-124. That is the closest two games I ever witnessed. This will save me posting who our favorite player is Joe Balsis.####