PDA

View Full Version : Pool in wheelchair

12-07-2002, 09:12 AM
Any players here in wheelchair? Wanted to know what level your game is, and what is your highest run in 14.1. A good friend of mine in Quebec is an excellent poolplayer, and is in a wheelchair. I wish I was as good as him. He recently had a run of 199 at 14.1, his life best. We were wondering how good he compares to the others. There is no pool tournaments for wheelchairs in Quebec ( or even Canada as far as I am aware of ) so he has never really had a chance to measure up, but I convinced him to try regular tournaments . His defence was that he would not keep up with them I said: "Man! if you play your normal game, they will stay in a chair too! The difference is from yours you can score and they can't!" and a few weeks ago he played his first Open tournamant in Quebec City and came in second place. Not bad for a premiere!! His name is Pierre Gendron from Rimouski, Quebec. Living proof Will and Love of the game is what counts. If anybody hears of a pool tournament with wheelchair category in Canada let me know I will tell him.

silverbullet
12-07-2002, 10:17 AM
Does your friend in the wheelchair use a longer cue?

Laura

Wally_in_Cincy
12-07-2002, 11:37 AM
We have a guy in a wheelchair in our APA league. He's a strong 4 or a decent 5. I really admire his dedication. Let's just say some of the taverns around here are not exactly wheelchair friendly /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

We also have a guy with one arm. He's a good 4. He uses an inverted table brush for a bridge.

12-07-2002, 09:49 PM
He uses a normal cue, and uses the bridge a lot. Another good friend uses a normal cue and also uses an extension for the butt like in snooker.

12-09-2002, 09:50 AM
There was a wheelchair 9 ball tournament in Harrisburg Pa. about 2-3 months ago that had a nice turnout and players came in from rather far away. Your friend could get more info on this group by calling 717-232-5117. They appeared to be a nice group of guys that played pretty good . Fred

breaknrun1
12-09-2002, 10:22 AM
There is a guy in Cincy that Wally might know (Boxcar Charlie) who is a hell of a shot. He was a 7 in APA (the highest level) before he was in a car accident. He is now a 6 out of a wheelchair. He uses a hand made mechanical bridge (spring loaded) that fits over his cue to shoot with.
He made the best shot I have even see someone make in the City tournament a few years ago. He jumped a ball (with his playing cue and not a jump cue) that was a few inches in front of the cue ball and 2 feet from the end rail and made a cut shot on a ball that was at the other end of the table. From there he ran out!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif