PDA

View Full Version : Picking the Right Horse !!!!!

SpiderMan
12-07-2002, 06:10 PM
As you may recall, earlier this year I told Spetty about a blind-draw Scotch doubles tournament, and the first time she decided to show up we drew one another as partners and swept the tournament.

Last night the same organizers held a similar tournament, as a "prequel" to a large two-day affair going on this weekend. About 5:30 yesterday afternoon, I decided to contact Spetty and let her know about it.

Well, she lives so far out in the sticks that they don't see the Grand Ole Opry 'til Thursday afternoon, but I caught her on the commute home before her cell phone went out of range. She showed up at the tournament.

We didn't draw one another, but she drew a good player and I told her "I predict you'll win, I think I'll buy you in the Calcutta". Guess what?

She won, first-place Calcutta money was $622.50, so I went home $311.25 happier even though I didn't place in the tourney!

SpiderMan

SPetty
12-08-2002, 07:51 AM
You're welcome Spiderman. It was my pleasure.

I forgot to mention in my other post that my team knocked Spiderman's team to the losers bracket by using that age-old never-fail method of sending them mental voodoo to get them to scratch on the 8 ball! hahahaha

Voodoo Daddy
12-08-2002, 08:32 AM
Mental and Voodoo often collide in the same sentance...but mental voodoo?...HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rod
12-09-2002, 12:21 AM
Hey Spidey, good investment. When they draw for partners is there any kind of system? As in the better players can't be matched together?

Chris Cass
12-09-2002, 12:33 AM
Now that's strong!

Regards,

C.C.~~pm me, I need your address Marty. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
12-09-2002, 12:36 AM
Hi Voodoo,

Speaking of horses. I haven't heard any word yet on ours. Soon, I hope and we can be on the receiving end too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
12-09-2002, 12:57 AM
Oh Rod,

After talking to you and others about tips one day. I decided to crush a few Sumo tips in a vice and sand the back down. Then, sprayed them with car laquer clear coat. Well, I tried one out. It hasn't mushroomed and grabs good. The hit is great. Just the way I like. It's the nutz. I'm going to send you 3 of them and they're all done up. You'll love them I'm sure. You'll have to try atleast one.

Regards,

C.C.~~thinks he stumbled onto something great. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm mailing them out tomorrow morning.

Voodoo Daddy
12-09-2002, 06:44 AM
My horse?...you mean my lady? I'm lost <thats nothin' new>...fill me in Cass.

Chris Cass
12-09-2002, 08:11 AM
Hi Voodoo,

I'll pm you later. Man this girls got your memory fogged. No wait, it's my 3 angels. They'll have your head spinning in minutes. LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~tonight. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan
12-09-2002, 09:12 AM
Yes, all players equivalent to APA "6" and above draw first; if they draw another seeded player's card they put it back and draw again.

At the Friday tourney there was one sandbagger. We didn't know him but the guy that brought him said he was a 4. Then this guy bought him in the Calcutta after seeing that he drew a strong partner. Well, he played more like a 6, but still only managed 3rd place. And next time he'll be seeded.

SpiderMan

SpiderMan
12-09-2002, 09:16 AM
Chris,

Is the Sumo tip harder or softer than the Tweeten "WB"? I was talking to Rod about these earlier this year, and he felt they were too hard already. I use the WB's occasionally, and Sid V really likes them, but they are pretty hard.

If the Sumo is harder, Rod might not like them but they might be just what Sid wants. What's the best (pricewise) online source for Sumos in box of 50?

SpiderMan

SpiderMan
12-09-2002, 09:17 AM
Done, I'll send you my yahoo address as well as work address.

SpiderMan

Rod
12-09-2002, 11:16 AM
Spidey,
Does Tweeten make those very dark brown WB tips? These are the tips that have WB on the box top? They make a lighter shade of brown that is not as hard. BTW the lighter shade is a lttle soft and needs a little break in time. The dark ones are too hard from past experience.

I'm going to order some tips for bar cues. I see in the 2003 Mueller Catalog that Sumo tips are 3.45 for a three pack and 2.75 for 12 pkg of 3. It does say Sumo are very hard at their rating of 82. If CC managed to compress them though you never know. In other words some tips won't compress well if they are hard, because they crack or break.

Rod
12-09-2002, 11:36 AM
OH Chris,

Thanks for doing that I might like them. I hope there not three little round red bricks! LOL I'm going to order some tips and I'm going to include a half dozen of the stock Sumo tips. You don't really have to send them but if you did allready I have a shaft to try one out.

I used the same trick on the old blue diamond tips. This was years ago and I never used a vice. It did firm them up and they broke in faster. It held the grain together much better which is why they firmed up quicker. The stock tip was on the sponge side and took forever to compress. Wish I had of used a vice back then. In my area at the time you had a choice, play with a blue diamond or you could play with a blue diamond. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan
12-09-2002, 01:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Spidey,
Does Tweeten make those very dark brown WB tips? These are the tips that have WB on the box top? They make a lighter shade of brown that is not as hard. BTW the lighter shade is a lttle soft and needs a little break in time. The dark ones are too hard from past experience.

<hr /></blockquote>

Rod,

I believe Atlas lists both a "black" and a "brown" WB, but they do not claim any difference other than the color. Have you actually tested one of each from recent batches? I thought that once we discussed the WB tips and you seemed to imply that the lighter ones you had tried were from a long time ago. Maybe their process has just changed, and all are harder now?

Yes, I believe the card in the box said "Tweeten", but I'll have to double-check tonight.

SpiderMan

Rod
12-09-2002, 02:09 PM
I only thought there was one originally. Then when I had a tip changed a year later. It was the same box but a much darker and hard tip. That was three or four years ago.