PDA

View Full Version : Boycott Accu-Stats: DVDs are here!!!

Pogue
12-07-2002, 09:36 PM
Sorry all for the extreme title, but I really do think it is time we get the single source for professionally taped pool to listen to our views.. Please let me know if you agree that we need to be able to start buying pool matches on DVD, since over 50% of homes have DVD players in them, DVD is taking over from VHS, and this cannot be argued.

Also let us all make it clear to Pat Fleming that we love his service, but if he is adding so much to the videos he is producing, that it is becoming too expensive to travel to the tournaments, then we would be quite happy with less bells and whistles. Tellustrators (sp?) are not necessary, IMHO, and if they add significantly to the price of a match, drop them altogether. The prices are fine where they are, as long as they don't exceed $30 for the high profile matches, I'm happy..

But GIVE ME DVD!! I watch my tapes constantly, and am now at the point where the quality of my tapes is starting to degrade very noticably..

Please, poolplayers unite!! Tell Pat that you'll postpone all your purchases of new matches until DVD is available. He has told me personally it is "scheduled" for early 2003, but he told me the same thing in mid-2002. I think it is quite possible that we won't get it until we really start pushing for it. Now, don't get me wrong, I am sure that Pat is a perfectly honest and upstanding citizen, but he is constrained by business requirements.

He may not do it until he knows unequivocably (sp??) that there is a MAJOR demand for it..

I make this statement right now, and boldly. I will buy no more new matches until Accu-Stats offers them on DVD. I have contacts from whome I can buy used tapes for a fraction of the cost of the new. I want to watch pool now. And would gladly buy them now if they were on DVD, but the simple truth is that people have been asking for DVD matches for over two years. DVD authoring is very much affordable for even the smallest business now, and until I see a posting from Pat Fleming on here, I will continue to encourage other poolplayers who want DVDs to delay buying new matches until they are available.

All the buggers who will no doubt respond to this post with prompts to start up a competing business, and take some of Pat's profits instead of complaining", can by all means, stuff it.. I am simply trying to organize other players to voice their opinions on what they want, and to act on it.

I am sick and tired of my VCR eating an Accu Stats tape when it goes bad. I am tired of lines showing up in all of my matches purchased before 1998. I am tired of the video on my tapes getting slightly darker, and fuzzier after two or three years of constant use.

None of these happens with DVD, if you take care of them..

Just MY Humble Opinion,

Let us all know what you think,

Russ "Pogue" Chewning

P.S. This same post will be going to a lot of the newsgroup and message boards..

Ludba
12-07-2002, 10:03 PM
Actually, I completely agree with you.

And you spelled 'unequivocably' correctly.

TomBrooklyn
12-07-2002, 10:41 PM
I don't own a DVD player nor to I feel any need to get one. The few DVDs I've seen didn't show a noticable improvement over VHS quality. However, if it would make one able to diferentiate the colors of the balls and the difference between striped and solid balls on a pool video, I might get one.

Ludba
12-07-2002, 10:56 PM
Do you watch your videos over and over, though? If you watch matches for instructional value, you need to watch them repeatedly. With VHS, the inevitable result is poor video quality. I've already seen it happen to a video I got two months ago.

And even aside from Accu-stats matches, there is a general lethargy when it comes to getting the pool video industry to acknowledge the obvious advantages of DVD for instruction. Capelle is the first to put out an instructional video on DVD, and hopefully others will follow suit. I just wonder how successful the DVD combo was, since it cost a little more.

eg8r
12-07-2002, 10:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The few DVDs I've seen didn't show a noticable improvement over VHS quality.<hr /></blockquote>This is pretty funny. Take a look at some of your tapes that you have watched about 30 times and then watch it on DVD. The difference is amazing. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

Cueless Joey
12-07-2002, 11:36 PM
I used to sell video equipment. VHS is terrible. Beta was even better. VHS doesn't even have 300 lines per inch of resolution. DVD is up around 520. Pool on DVD's (shot recently) will be as good as the master tape. It should have much better clarity.

Pogue
12-08-2002, 12:22 AM
True, True, so very true.. But would you say that you are going to put your foot down and refuse to buy any more matches on VHS? THAT my dears, is the true question. For I fear this is what it will take to resolve this quandry. I certainly wouldn't mind getting a written statement on here from Pat himself stating a date when he is going to start offering DVD.. He told me early 2003, I'm sure he wouldn't mind giving us a deadline, if that was true..

Dat's my story and I'm stickin' to it..

Pogue

(Notorious for refusing to accept bad service.. Has embarassed many pimply faced McDonald's employees...)

Cueless Joey
12-08-2002, 12:24 AM
Not even those half off sale videos that will probably not be worth for PF to put on DVD? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
OK, no more videos from Accu-Stats.

Ludba
12-08-2002, 01:15 AM
I'm totally game. I suggest we make a concerted effort to barrage Accu-stats and any other pool video distributors with emails demanding DVD's. I want accu-stats, poolvideo.com, and everybody else to know that there is a strong demand for pool DVDs.

Roger Howerton was more forward than Pat Fleming in telling me that he has tried to convince his suppliers to go DVD, but they're scared of spending more money on remastering and not getting a return on their investment.

ObeOne
12-08-2002, 02:47 AM
I agree 100%. I have been wanting to buy accustats tapes for quite a while now, but haven't because they don't offer DVD. Not only would DVD last longer and be of much better quality, they would also hold more matches as well.

12-08-2002, 09:27 AM
True, DVD is the better format. BUT...if Accustats sells DVDs formatted for North America zone, I won't be able to watch it here in Japan. CDs are universal format, I dearly wish they would eliminate the zone restrictions on DVDs.

I'm stuck with VHS for now.

Regretfully, Isshi
~~stuck in the Asian zone. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Fred Agnir
12-08-2002, 09:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> I don't own a DVD player nor to I feel any need to get one. The few DVDs I've seen didn't show a noticable improvement over VHS quality. However, if it would make one able to diferentiate the colors of the balls and the difference between striped and solid balls on a pool video, I might get one. <hr /></blockquote>
Forgive me for spiraling this to a non-pool thread, but you are... missing the DVD experience.

There are many things that movie makers are now able to give to viewers that could not be done on VHS. The tip of which is the ability to watch the same movie in different languages rather than sub-titles. The best of which so far is to present, for example, Lord of the Rings with an additional 30+ minutes of footage within the movie, as opposed to some "additional footage" section. Digital sound and video quality and formats are so far beyond what VHS can offer. Analog media break down, digital (in this case, laser-read digital media) do not.

For pool and billiards, you have the opportunity to do an instant search without having to rewind and fast forward. Stop action results in a digital freeze-frame, not an analog fuzz-frame.

There simply is no comparison between VHS and DVD. The possibilities are being explored daily. There are no more possibilies for analog tape (nor digital tape,for that matter). And with DVD players so damn cheap, and Blockbuster having every new title, it's not a big leap to realize the experience.

Fred &lt;~~~ in praise of DVD

silverbullet
12-08-2002, 12:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> I don't own a DVD player nor to I feel any need to get one. The few DVDs I've seen didn't show a noticable improvement over VHS quality. However, if it would make one able to diferentiate the colors of the balls and the difference between striped and solid balls on a pool video, I might get one. <hr /></blockquote>
Forgive me for spiraling this to a non-pool thread, but you are... missing the DVD experience.

There are many things that movie makers are now able to give to viewers that could not be done on VHS.&lt;snip&gt; <hr /></blockquote>

Ideally, you are right Fred. OTOH, I cannot always afford dvd prices. It is rare that I will pay 29.99 for a DVD. I do have a lot of DVDs courtesy of wallmart. I pay 9.99 and will pay 14.99 if it is REALLY special. If I want a movie, but not THAT MUCH and it is not available reduced, I buy VHS. As far as owning a DVD, at the time 5 years ago, I was an employee of circuit city and divx (which also plays dvds) was being pushed to the extent that we were able to purchase them for about 100 below cost.

Anyway, I do like my dvds, but I have vhs too.

Laura

Ludba
12-08-2002, 03:01 PM
The difference between the Archer-Reyes DVD and the VHS was $6. Even this can be reduced or eliminated if demand for pool DVDs increases. Simple economics. There is a cost in remastering previous videos onto DVD, but if suppliers know there is a large demand and subsequently profit, they will do it and the price difference will diminish.

eg8r
12-08-2002, 03:46 PM
Is Accu Stats offering all new tournament footage on DVD? If so I think that is moving in the right direction. At least then Accu Stats and vendors will be able to accurately gauge the need for remastering all the old videos. If there is no increase in purchases of the offered matches on DVD (provided the first part of this post is true) then I don't think there will be an adequate enough increase in purchases of older matches.

eg8r &lt;~~~Would love to have all my tapes put on DVD.

Tom_In_Cincy
12-08-2002, 04:25 PM
Pogue,

Why is it that you can't wait until AccuStats come out with the DVD when they are ready?

I am sure that if Accustats can convert the existing and new recordings to DVD and make money.. they will.

And, Pat was also fiddling with the US Open TV broadcasts systems this year.. That must of taken up lots of cash and time to boot.

DVDs are good.. and I think that there is a source of pool matches on DVD with commentary by the players. Seems like I saw the offering at the US Open. Somewhere in Ohio they make these matches just for DVD and sell them. Wish I could remember what that site was..

CCB crack researchers will prevail.. Where's Fred when you need him?

Pogue
12-08-2002, 04:51 PM
Ummm... Because that could very well be a year or more from now. You can say "What's the hurry?" because you probably don't mind watching the VHS, or you don't watch matches as much as I do.

To clarify, there was once a period of my life (3 years) where I did not have cable (didn't want it), and didn't rent movies. I had Accu-Stats tapes, and that is all I watched... I have cable now, but really only for the family, and when I don't have any matches to watch. I haven't bought a VHS outside of Accu-Stats in nearly 4 years..

Though I wouldn't ever ask to copy anyone's tapes, in deference to the producer of the tapes, I will say this.. If the industry won't offer the matches on DVD, then buy a DVD burner and copy them to your heart's content.

If Accu-Stats will not offer the DVDs, then obviously there can be no pirating if you borrow all of a friend's Accu-Stats videos, and copy them to DVD. I see all things in black and white.. No shades of gray. At least half of Accu-Stats customers want DVD. Many of them said so 2 or 3 years ago.

If Accu-Stats doesn't want to provide the service over half their customers want... Then SCREW THEM. Hope they go out of business.. Then again, if they DO want to provide this service, and are willing to commit themselves by posting here, and giving us ALL an expected date of arrival (so he can get 100 calls a day when he doesn't meet the deadline, ya know, motivation to pick up the pace..), then I have no problem with that.. As soon as Pat Fleming posts on here, and tells us when he plans to offer DVD, I will continue to rant and rave about this...

"Plethora of Patience Pogue"

Ludba
12-08-2002, 05:44 PM
Accustats has been dragging its feet and, based on emails from poolvideo.com and accustats, I don't think they have been straight-forward with their customers. Time will tell for sure, but it begs the question, "Why haven't pool matches been on DVD for years?"

The hurry is a result of having waited so long even to hear a hint about pool DVDs coming out next year. Isn't it odd that there is no set date and that the predicted time is seemingly arbitrary (Spring 2003 instead of right before the Christmas holiday?)?

There hasn't been a lot of marketing to whet pool video buyers' lips to be prepared to buy buy buy DVDs. This may only be coincidental, but pool video distributors are totally missing an opportunity here to say,"Hey, customers, we've heard your requests, and isn't it great that we're stepping into a new technological medium!"

TomBrooklyn
12-08-2002, 06:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Pogue:</font><hr>If the industry won't offer the matches on DVD, then buy a DVD burner and copy them to your heart's content.<hr /></blockquote>What advantage would you hope to gain from that? The quality will be no better than the source VHS. Copying to DVD can retain the quality of the original, but not enhance it.

What Fred mentioned above about better freeze frame and slow/fast motion is probably true though and that is a very nice benefit.

I haven't been following video technology, so the last I knew TV resolution was somewhere around 240 horizontal lines per total screen height. Has that changed? What is the horizontal resolution of VHS and DVD? The DVD's I saw didn't look noticably different than VHS in regular play mode, although that was on TV that was several years old and may not have been high definition or anything.

As far as the color rendition and ability to distinguish between a one ball and nine ball, will DVD help that much? I think the major problem is in the production lighting and recording, not the playback.

Pogue
12-08-2002, 06:46 PM
Tom.....

Doooood..

It's not about necessarily improving the quality.. It's about the fact that in a year's time, a tape that is watched constantly (read:fave Reyes whoopin) may not even be watchable.. A DVD one recorded off a fairly new tape will look EXACTLY the same in 20, 30, 40 years.. As long as you don't scratch the DVD, and clean it once a month.. It will last at LEAST 6 or 7 times longer than a VHS tape... And I will clarify my position once again.. Accu-Stats, give us all some feedback in a forum (documentative), and I would never condone this, but if they ignore the consumer, do they not in fact, deserve to fail in their business?? And so it is true..

Pogue E Bait..

eg8r
12-08-2002, 07:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If Accu-Stats doesn't want to provide the service over half their customers want... Then SCREW THEM. Hope they go out of business.. <hr /></blockquote>You sound like a little bratty kid that got all the presents he ever asked for at Christmas. C'mon get a life. We all agree that it would be nice to have the matches on DVD but to wish the demise of a company simply because they do not meet your expectations is pretty lame and inexcusable. Maybe you should package up all that entertainment that Pat Flemings company provided you during your time without cable and send it back to AccuStats.

eg8r &lt;~~~Tired of the whining already

eg8r
12-08-2002, 07:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but if they ignore the consumer, do they not in fact, deserve to fail in their business??<hr /></blockquote>Whiner again. No they do not deserve to fail in their business because they did not raise the bar to your expectations. As for the "half of the customers" when did you become spokesman.

eg8r &lt;~~~Wants Accustats on DVD but will not pout and boycott like other shameless posters.

Pogue
12-08-2002, 08:32 PM
Okay dood... yer on.. Let's do a poll..

Pogue

eg8r
12-08-2002, 08:46 PM
You will have to ask the admins to set the poll up. On the other hand, I don't think the actual amount of people here on the board that will vote will make a decent enough sample size to which we might accurately base the population. However, you might not understand what I said so it might all be for naught, in that case just call Accu Stats and see if Pat Fleming will humour you and read the thread. He has no reason to post a response but it would be nice to hear what he has to say. As far as your ability to calculate a probability, that will be seen. First you will need to get the admins to actually put a poll in the thread.

If the admins will not add a poll, then count me as number 1 for having DVD as an OPTION. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r &lt;~~~This in no way means I will be stubborn enough to quit all future purchases from Accu Stats simply because they might not think it is economical right now.

bigbro6060
12-08-2002, 09:01 PM
the DVD could be made REgion 0 so most people could watch it

Most people have multiregion players anyway

Once accu stats has their dvd authoring system set up, it really wouldn't be any harder than producing VHS. It's just the initial setup

it really does seem that accu-stats has a lock on this particular market and will do what they want to do

TomBrooklyn
12-08-2002, 09:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> You will have to ask the admins to set the poll up. <hr /></blockquote>Whats up with that? Posters can't post polls anymore?

eg8r
12-08-2002, 10:01 PM
I don't think so. Pogue used the same format that is shown in the how to section and it does not work. I think someone tried to post one earlier and it would not work. I don't know the reasoning for not allowing it but I guess this is part of the rules now.

eg8r

caedos
12-08-2002, 10:16 PM
I vote whole heartedly for DVD's, including the transfer of previous VHS media to DVD to preserve what quality you can before they degauss or wear out. I'd buy DVDs hands down over the tapes.

Oz

John G
12-09-2002, 01:23 AM
Why don't you just buy a dvd recorder and copy to that format yourself instead of asking us to boycott Accustats.
They do a good job. Fleming's a stand up guy. And maybe it's not feasable for him at this time. DVD's would be a nice option but stop buying tapes, not a chance.

Ludba
12-09-2002, 02:57 AM
Nice ad hominem attack.

If whining is what Pogue is doing, then that's what he should be doing. A consumer's leverage is exactly his or her ability to whine until his expectations of service are met. What do you suggest, eg8r? That consumers docilely accept whatever is offered? I think somebody mentioned above that Accu-stats has the market cornered and can do what it wants. Now I don't think Pat Fleming is some sinister archmage sitting in a dark tower, but businesses sometimes do fail in providing adequate goods or services, and customers can and do use their economic power to get better goods and services. It happens all the time in other economic sectors, and there's nothing wrong with doing it here. There isn't a moral imperative that every business not meeting its customers' needs should fail, but the common result of customer neglect in capitalism is failure. And when you're the person who's being neglected, sometimes you take it personally.

And why are you so critical of Pogue as a spokesman? "Half of the customers" may be an exaggeration or an understatement, but if he's speaking about an issue a number of people have, then yes, he's a spokesman, and he shouldn't be ridiculed for DISCUSSING a topic in a DISCUSSION forum or asking people to form together to accomplish a common goal. Do you want some sort of election before somebody steps up and says what's on the minds of a group of people? There may be some impudence in assuming to speak for a group of people, but it's better than the discussion not ever being brought up, which is often what happens, because "nobody elected me spokesperson."

"Wants Accustats on DVD but will not pout and boycott like other shameless posters."

You are not only sitting on your duff instead of trying to get what you want, but you are also criticizing somebody else for trying to get what both you and others want. Try doing something constructive like suggesting an alternative, instead of attacking someone personally for suggesting an idea.

Or if you disagree, try arguing against their point instead of calling them a whiner.

Pogue
12-09-2002, 04:36 AM
YEYUH!!! DAZZZ my boyEEEEEEEEE!!! "Fo Shizzle, my nizzle", the man with his ear to the street stands up for a brudda in need.. Spank Spankity Spank!!!

Incorrigible Pogue

rackmup
12-09-2002, 07:26 AM
You knew that Tom. Don't you remember your reply to my post?

[ QUOTE ]
Quote rackmup:

We, as users of the forum, can no longer insert polls into our posts.<hr /></blockquote>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr>Well, talk about putting a cramp on your style. Oh well. <hr /></blockquote>

Regards,

Ken (tries to remember all of the 'wise guy' answers for moments like these) /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Ludba
12-09-2002, 09:51 AM
Spank Spankity Spank? Ludba nizzle is suddenly wondering if he should have defended Shizzle. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
12-09-2002, 11:41 AM
Pogue,

I agree and I don't even own a DVD player. I was gonna buy one just so I could watch Cappelle's new DVD/book.

However I don't think I have the guts to discontinue my video-of-the-month membership.

Hey accu-stats, it's a new century.

Ludba
12-09-2002, 12:01 PM
Actually, you can get the Archer-Reyes instructional match as a VHS/book combo, though for reasons listed above, the DVD is superior. At the end of the VHS/DVD is an instructional section highlighting 25 shots. Lot easier to click from a menu than fast forward to a particular part.

I think the two problems most people have with a boycott are the sacrifice involved and the feeling that they're hurting someone else's livelihood, especially in a case such as this where we can associate a name and face to our complaint. It's a lot harder to be tough on a 'Pat Fleming' than on a 'McDonald's.'

Let me provide an alternative suggestion. Why don't we start by creating a formula email asking for pool matches and instruction on DVD and listing its advantages for the industry and its customers; and then we each send one to every pool video distributor we can think of: poolvideo.com, accu-stats, billiardspress.com, themonk.com, byrne.org... Anybody else know any others?

eg8r
12-09-2002, 02:56 PM
IMHO [ QUOTE ]
Nice ad hominem attack.
<hr /></blockquote>Nice misuse of the phrase. If you feel my "case" is weak and I am somehow in your mind attacking him instead of his ideas then let me know. I do not feel I am attacking Pogue. What I tried to get across was that Pogues attack on Pat Fleming and company are wrong in my opinion. I do not think stating that since Accu Stats will not make DVDs then the company should fail is using a consumers leverage. It is more a little boy wanting to take his ball (read: money) home (read: elsewhere). I have added descriptions to my analogy so you will be able to follow. Hopefully that is a little clearer.

[ QUOTE ]
why are you so critical of Pogue as a spokesman<hr /></blockquote>It is merely a question.

[ QUOTE ]
and he shouldn't be ridiculed for DISCUSSING a topic [ QUOTE ]
Please, poolplayers unite!! Tell Pat that you'll postpone all your purchases of new matches until DVD is available.<hr /></blockquote><hr /></blockquote>You stated he was discussing something. I have added material from his post and would like to know which section of this is the discussion part.

[ QUOTE ]
You are not only sitting on your duff instead of trying to get what you want, but you are also criticizing somebody else for trying to get what both you and others want.<hr /></blockquote>I have really enjoyed your post. You started out weak with your dictionary tool and then incorrectly used the phrase that you have been dying to try out. You then continued through your thoughts and ended with this wonderful explosion of ignorance. In your mind you think you have things figured out and you were able to read my words and Pogues words and come up with some sort of conclusion. Quite a weak conclusion I might add. Pogue came on to let everyone know that he is upset about no offerings of DVD from AccuStats. He tells us that he asked AccuStats if they would offer the platform of choice. They still have not but say they will next year. Pogue decides we should join him in refusing business with Accustats until we get what we want. (This is hardly a discussion it is a call to Boycott). I state that I do not agree. You jump in chatting from you rear while holding a dictionary telling me how I am wrong and probably just lazy. You failed to check whether or not I have requested DVDs before from AccuStats and relied on your logic to help strengthen your weak attack and it failed you. To help you out, I have contacted Accu Stats about 10 times in the past 2 years expressing my desire to also have the desired DVD format.

I don't agree that a call to boycott is using the consumers leverage to get what they want. It is more closely in line with the neighborhood bully stealing milk money from the weaker kids.

eg8r

eg8r
12-09-2002, 02:59 PM
Wow, I don't think Lubda is going to proud of this wonderful use of the english language.
[ QUOTE ]
YEYUH!!! DAZZZ my boyEEEEEEEEE!!! "Fo Shizzle, my nizzle", the man with his ear to the street stands up for a brudda in need.. Spank Spankity Spank!!!
<hr /></blockquote>Hey Pogue are you still in the military or serving fries now. I mean this in jest but if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck...Then it just might be a duck.

One uses latin the other ebonics. I guess opposites do attract.

eg8r

Cueless Joey
12-09-2002, 03:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote John G:</font><hr> Why don't you just buy a dvd recorder and copy to that format yourself instead of asking us to boycott Accustats.
They do a good job. Fleming's a stand up guy. And maybe it's not feasable for him at this time. DVD's would be a nice option but stop buying tapes, not a chance. <hr /></blockquote>
The videos are copyrighted. We can prolly burn VCD's or CD's but the quality will still be VHS quality.

Pogue
12-09-2002, 03:35 PM
Weellllllll, if we are gonna quote Latin, all I remember from my Latin classes is Christmas carols. But I shall give it the good 'ole college try.

(Jingle Bells)
Tinnitus, tinnitus, semper tinnitus,
o tantum est gaudiam en vehimur (prounounced with a "W") en TRA TA

(Adeste Fideles)
Adeste Fideles, laeti triumphantes,
o novu, o novu
et dominum

(We Wish You a Merry Christmas)
[Note: Latin Festival Saturnalia being used
in placed of Christmas..]
Beata Saturnalia!
Beata Saturnalia!
Beata Sturnalia, et bonus no annus! (novus [new] shortened to match rhythm

And to answer your question, nope.. I'm not flipping burgers, frying french fries and stuff.. I'm now a civilian contractor making very good money.. Currently in Qatar, at that new command post they have been talking about all over CNN.. Furthermore, no need to question my language skilz.. I write this way on purpose. I tested out of my fist two years of college English Composition after being out of school for 9 years, and I read voraciously, it will be 6 books in two weeks after I finish the Dean Koontz novel I'm currently working on.

But thanks for asking... [chuckle]

"Latin-hearted bookworm Pogue"

(Absolutely LOVES it when people try to get on a high horse pertaining to academia)

eg8r
12-09-2002, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And to answer your question, nope.. I'm not flipping burgers, frying french fries and stuff.. I'm now a civilian contractor making very good money.. <hr /></blockquote>No sir don't go there, no one asked you about money. This is where it is easier to type about earning a decent income and not actually earn one. Also, have you ever heard of "bad" money, in terms of a type of money earned from an honest living. I haven't, so I guess we all make good money.

[ QUOTE ]
But thanks for asking... [chuckle]<hr /></blockquote>You are welcome.

[ QUOTE ]
(Absolutely LOVES it when people try to get on a high horse pertaining to academia) <hr /></blockquote>Rightfully you should. Seems you are either A. Able to search the internet for Jingle Bells, or B. Trying to waste an education.

eg8r &lt;~~~loves when people quote from the internet and use as their own. Once again, this is in jest and not meant to hurt feelings, heck it has nothing to do with the original thread.

eg8r
12-09-2002, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We can prolly burn VCD's or CD's but the quality will still be VHS quality. <hr /></blockquote>Nope, you yourself talked about the copyright...[ QUOTE ]
The videos are copyrighted<hr /></blockquote>
Now, since I am not worried about copyright infringment when making a backup copy of my original purchase, I say burn them to CD. The quality will not go up unless you know what you are doing and have the equipment to remove excess noise from the recording. There are ways to clean the picture up, but it will never be perfect. Another reason for DVD is that, not only will you have your movies on VCD, now they will retain that quality for years to come. Your VHS is degrading all the time.

eg8r

John G
12-09-2002, 06:26 PM
You're correct, I hadn't thought of that. And I think it's OK to ask for for something new. But to boycot a business
because they can't or wont produce a new product in someone
elses time frame seems a little strong to me.

Pogue
12-09-2002, 07:36 PM
Ummm.. Nooooooo.. No quotes from the Internet here buddddyy.. I took Latin in high school. I admit, I have wasted my academic talents.. I wasted it on pool. It took me 9 years, one wife, and two children before I understood that one should never forgo education.. To play better pool. I am a prime example. I could have been much further along in my life at age 27, if I had been determined to earn an education while I was in the Army. Wasted time though..

And wasted time can never be recovered. I will not argue with you about whether or not I go looking for intelligent stuff on the web to regurgitate to impress someone. That's not my style. Good luck finding those Latin carols online though, because I think my teacher in high school took the time to translate them herself.

Again, let's get away from that.. You mentioned wasting education.. Not getting one is the ultimate in wasting education.. I am trying to correct that, however... but it will probably mean my family will not live comfortably till my I am in my mid-late 30's.. Since my wife is 9 years older, I want to give her as much as I can, while she can still enjoy it.

Screw pool.. Education is the key.. Getting or have an education? The by all means, play pool in all spare time.. Compete!! Run out!! Swing at da 9!!

Dat's just what I believe..

"Pontificatin' Pogue"

eg8r
12-09-2002, 08:26 PM
Now that is a great post (Note that I did not say any of my posts are ever great). LOL I totally agree with getting the education and then using it.

eg8r &lt;~~~Starting on the last phase of my education

Vicki
12-10-2002, 10:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Pogue:</font><hr>
If Accu-Stats doesn't want to provide the service over half their customers want... Then SCREW THEM. Hope they go out of business.. Then again, if they DO want to provide this service, and are willing to commit themselves by posting here, and giving us ALL an expected date of arrival (so he can get 100 calls a day when he doesn't meet the deadline, ya know, motivation to pick up the pace..), then I have no problem with that.. As soon as Pat Fleming posts on here, and tells us when he plans to offer DVD, I will continue to rant and rave about this...

"Plethora of Patience Pogue" <hr /></blockquote>

That's a really intelligent statement. Accu-Stats has been your major source of media enjoyment for all these years AND is the only company producing these types of pool videos AND you hope they go out of business if they don't meet your demands for DVD in a specific time frame. In a public forum you request a boycott of Accu-Stats by whining like a little sissy that you aren't getting your way.

I would never, in a million years, boycott Accu-Stats for any reason. Least of all because YOU aren't getting exactly what YOU want at exactly the moment YOU want it. Your argument is childish at best, and ridiculous for sure.

I will be sure to place an order from Accu-Stats immediately! They have made a huge investment of time, money, labor and love to promote pool and make pool available for the people who want to be able to watch great pool matches. Coming into a public forum to call for a boycott is irresponsible, and quite possibly, grounds for them to sue your balls off. I'm sure they'll appreciate someone letting them know that you're out here trying to slow their sales 2 weeks before Christmas... you idiot.

Vicki

Pogue
12-10-2002, 03:44 PM
Well,

The majority of the responders to this post agree with me, not with you. Pat Fleming got most of his equipment because he was documenting the statistics of pool matches, and the videos were a byproduct. I can't imagine one man waking up one morning and deciding "I think I'll document the amount of mistakes in men's pro pool matches." So the assumption can be that he was paid to do so. If he was paid to do so, then he already had the equipment, or it was paid for by the organization who wanted the statistics.. Whatever..

FURTHERmore.... I am suggesting a boycott at this time PRECISELY because it is around Christmas time.. Your arguement that they have provided my entertainment for years, and that they are the only ones to provide this entertainment falls on deaf ears. Just because he is the only one to provide these matches, doesn't give him the right to give bad service....

I personally know of a couple of brand new players that would do well to have a few Accu-Stats videos to watch, but they refuse to do so because they only have a DVD player.. (Like MOST young consumers, I might add, If you don't believe me, do the research.. I have) They REFUSE to buy a $70.00 or $80.00 VCR to watch a couple of $28.00 tapes, when they have a DVD player, and have had one for three years..

My point is IT SEEMS TO BE PRETTY "RIDICULOUS" (Isn't that the word you used?) TO HAVE TO HAVE A VCR IN THE HOUSE TO WATCH ONE SET OF VIDEOS, WHEN YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED A VHS TAPE OTHER THAN ACCU-STATS IN 5 YEARS!!!!!!!

Please don't show your legal ignorance by suggesting a boycott would be grounds for a lawsuit.. Any consumer has the right to boycott any company's goods or services, so long as they do not commit libel or slander.. SO THERE..

(And please do your research, legal or otherwise, before you respond to one of my posts.. Otherwise, I shall have to eat ya alive.... [chuckle])

"Parsimonious Pogue"

P.S. "Whining like a Sissy??" Oh yes, you certainly do express yourself much better than I.. (You just HAVE to chuckle..ha ha..)