PDA

View Full Version : Retire A Cue After....?

Sid_Vicious
12-08-2002, 09:12 AM
I have an old friend in one of my cues, a custom sneaky pete, and it has become warped to a moderate degree. I knew it was getting that way for a long time but had decided to not think about it and just play with the cue since it IS my favorite. Well I finally decided to roll it again after several months of denial(not seeing the decay) and it just "turned me off" the way it had become. I ended up sidelining it and playing with my break cue the rest of the day.

What would you do with this cue? I am not seeing the warp in either the butt or the shaft by themselves. Do you still ignore the way the cue rolls and play with your old friendly cue, or is it time to put it out to pasture? Thanks...sid

JohnnyP
12-08-2002, 10:04 AM
Sid:

If both sections roll ok on their own, it might be a problem with the joint. Let a cuemaker have a look at it.

I have a cue that I bought back in '67. It wobbled when I rolled it. I couldn't play with it, but I didn't want to toss it, either.

I had the guys at Triangle Billiards in Orange, CA look at it. They said their outside cue repair guy might be able to do something with it.

It came back good as new.

socrates
12-08-2002, 10:23 AM
One of the cues in my collection has an ivory joint and three shafts with ivory ferules. The shaft that I prefer of the three is the one that wobbles slightly and has a 3/8" crack in the ferule. It hits great and the 3/8" crack has not changed in size in two years.

It appears to me you need to decide how much of an annoyance the roll of the cue is and if it does not bother you and you feel you hit well with it stay with it. You may not like it as well if you have something done to it.

Like I believe our poster Fred Angir says - Its in the way that you use it.

Harold Acosta
12-08-2002, 10:59 AM
Take that cue to the next Pro event and have it signed by your favorite players. Then put it to rest. I did that with an old McDermott D-4 cue, and to this day, the cue is priceless! Varner, Buddy Hall, Reyes, are just a few who have their signature on it!

[b]<font color="blue">Billiard is a passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>
http://www.thebilliardstour.com/images/starscrash.gif

Just my 2 cents....

Sid_Vicious
12-08-2002, 11:37 AM
I wonded about the joint area(what's left after all, unless there is the tiniest of warp in the butt and it's difficult to pick up with the eye.) I have about decided that I'll bench the cue for now and when I get in the area of the cue maker who made it, I'll take it over and have him analyze(maybe fix) the cue. The wood is too attractive to see me permanently mothball'n the thing, and yet it I lose confidence in it's playabilty then something has to be done eventually. Truth is that I used to play with a real bananna years ago, the stick made a "flop-flop" sound when it rolled, and even though I didn't know pool like I do now, I did rank very good in my pool circle at the time. I've just become finicky now that I know what a fine cue is supposed to roll like.

Maybe a cue maker can answer a question for me. "Does a synthetic, ivorine material at the joint wear over time? If so is it feasable that the shaft will mate up out of rotational-line causing the wobble?" Maybe there's a fix, reface the surfaces or something???

Thanks all! sid

Chris Cass
12-08-2002, 12:02 PM
Hi Sid,

I think it's the joint pin itself. This is nothing to repair. They put it on a lathe and put some centering thingy on it and give it a small wack with a rubber hammer and it's good to go. No Charge. I had it done with my break cue. By eye I couldn't tell.

I also had an oldie. I had bought a Meucci MO 8. It had chess pieces in the bottom. It cost about $300. in 1982 when I bought it in Germany. The pieces of inlay(plastic I think?) were cracked. The finish had yellowed and the wrap looked like crap. The ferrules on both shafts were cracked and the shafts had warped.

I had an idea to check with Meucci to see what could be done and the cost. They said after talking with them it could be brought back. The cue listed for $600. now days but the cost would be $300. to bring it back to original.

So, I took a saw and turned that puppy into a jump cue. Worked great too. The with the rest of the cue I gave to a cue guy who cut off the chess board on the bottom and put it in another cue. So, atleast I got some satisfaction for my $300.

Regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
12-08-2002, 12:07 PM
Hi Harold,

Now that's a good idea you have there. I knew a few guys that did that exact thing with cues. It makes for a good safe keep and it looks good displayed in the pool section of your home. I like it.

Regards,

C.C.~~thinking of sunny Puerto Rico and banannas.

BLACKHEART
12-08-2002, 12:14 PM
Ivorine won't shrink or expand, but lots of things can happen over the years to cause a misalignment at the joint. Dirt could bild up &amp; hinder the threads from seating all of the way. If it's a wood to wood joint, the wooden surfaces may have shrunken or swollen. The question is, do the 2 pieces roll straight when it's apart. If so then it probably can be fixed. If the 2 pieces have an overhang when they are assembled, then either the screw was not centered in the butt or the hole in the shaft was drilled off center at the time it was made. Establish what's wrong then you'll have a better chance of finding out if it can be repaired...JER

P.S. MOST people buy a hustler because they are cheap. If that's the case, then the owner probably won't spring for a new $100 + shaft for a $200 Q.

Tom_In_Cincy
12-08-2002, 12:46 PM
Harold,

Whewww... I thought you were going to recommend getting a Preadator shaft as a replacement... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
12-08-2002, 12:55 PM
CC,

Bright idea... Lamp Cue.. stroke ON, stroke OFF

Meucci would be proud that you enlightened its Butt /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod
12-08-2002, 01:46 PM
Hi Chris,
I did the same with an old McDermott with a plastic joint, works great as a jump cue it is light.

Harold Acosta
12-08-2002, 02:41 PM
You cracked me up! If any of you, ever find me recommending the Predator shaft, PLEASE BEAT THE LIVING HELL OUT OF ME!

HO, HO, HO.......(That LOL in Xmas spirit!)

[b]<font color="blue">Billiard is a passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>

Harold Acosta
12-08-2002, 02:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr>
C.C.~~thinking of sunny Puerto Rico and banannas. <hr /></blockquote>

You should've been here (Puerto Rico) yesterday. We had the finals of our 9th National Tournament and I spent the day drinking Puerto Rican rum, with orange, or pineapple, or cocunut cream, and/or pineapple-banana juice!

(Yeap! Pineapple-banana juice! )

rackmup
12-08-2002, 09:44 PM
While I am not an "old friend" like your cue, I am a new friend. And, as a new friend, will I not change in appearance, as I grow older? What then? Will you not be my friend any longer?

Should I fall and twist my ankle and begin to walk a little crooked, will I too, be "put out to pasture?"

Have you and your cue talked? How does she feel about this? I think she should have some say in that this has been a long relationship and she has time invested in you as well.

I believe you might also want to consider how your cue feels about you. Have you treated her well? If you noticed changes in her long ago, why didn't you do something about it then? I am confident it hurt her feelings during the time of her warping to go ignored while you paid so much attention to your various jump cues. She has been with you for so long yet a couple of new, sporty JC's come into your life and suddenly; your "old friend" is put on the 'back burner'.

I don't know. It just seems this is all about you and no consideration is being given to how the cue feels. This is so wrong and one-sided.

Please...talk to your cue. I'm certain with both of you trying, things can be worked out.

Regards,

Ken

TonyM
12-09-2002, 02:05 AM
Don't put it out to pasture just yet!

If you cannot see a warp in either the shaft or the butt seperately, then perhaps the joint faces have become slighly wonky?

Let a good cue repair person take a look at it. It might just take a re-facing of the joint faces to make it straight again.

Or maybe you need a new shaft?

Either way, have a proffesional take a look at it before you decide anything.

Tony

Lester
12-09-2002, 07:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackmup:</font><hr> While I am not an "old friend" like your cue, I am a new friend. And, as a new friend, will I not change in appearance, as I grow older? What then? Will you not be my friend any longer?

Should I fall and twist my ankle and begin to walk a little crooked, will I too, be "put out to pasture?"

Have you and your cue talked? How does she feel about this? I think she should have some say in that this has been a long relationship and she has time invested in you as well.

I believe you might also want to consider how your cue feels about you. Have you treated her well? If you noticed changes in her long ago, why didn't you do something about it then? I am confident it hurt her feelings during the time of her warping to go ignored while you paid so much attention to your various jump cues. She has been with you for so long yet a couple of new, sporty JC's come into your life and suddenly; your "old friend" is put on the 'back burner'.

I don't know. It just seems this is all about you and no consideration is being given to how the cue feels. This is so wrong and one-sided.

Please...talk to your cue. I'm certain with both of you trying, things can be worked out.

Regards,

Ken
<hr /></blockquote>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Okay Ken, the counseling since your divorce is maybe working "too-well". Men might be from mars, but sticks are not from Venus - they're from TREES. I suggest you pry the wedding band from your stick, and begin to think of it as a tool. i.e. - like a hammer if you were a carpenter, or a paint brush if you were a painter. On the other hand, my stick and I have been happily married for 19 years, and she's never cheated on me. At least, I've never caught her at it. However, I trust her completely. ***Lester***

Sid_Vicious
12-09-2002, 01:57 PM
Don't worry Ken, sprain and twist that ankle, start looking like the elephant man...as long as you keep paying me the agreed upon "frinedship tax" you'll stay my friend ;-) sid~~~