PDA

View Full Version : JASMIN OUCHAN-WEEDING OUT THE "WPBA DEAD WOOD"

12-08-2002, 11:32 AM
I think that the newcomer is exposing the level of play from some of the "Pros". It's been speculated that if a good " A+" player,not even an Open level player, were to enter the WPBA pro tournamants, 75 % of the players would get exposed as to not being able to play at that speed. Crushed in plain english. It's been said that except for the top 5-8 players, the rest couldn't even place in the money at an Open tourn. Any Open Tourn., anywhere. Any thoughts or input?

silverbullet
12-08-2002, 11:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote A.L.F:</font><hr> I think that the newcomer is exposing the level of play from some of the "Pros". It's been speculated that if a good " A+" player were to enter the WPBA pro tournamants, 75 % of the players would get exposed as to not being able to play at that speed. Crushed in plain english. It's been said that except for the top 5-8 players, the rest couldn't even place in the money at an Open tourn. Any Open Tourn., anywhere. Any thoughts or input? <hr /></blockquote>

I do not think it is a matter of weeding out deadwood. People like jasmine allow us to see raw talent and hard work and others at the top allow us to see these things too. I do not think that those entering the pro ranks are any less. They are to be commended for their effort and dedication. It is the others that give them and some of us too, persons to look up to in this sport that we all love.

Laura

12-08-2002, 12:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote silverbullet:</font><hr>
I do not think it is a matter of weeding out deadwood. People like jasmine allow us to see raw talent and hard work and others at the top allow us to see these things too. I do not think that those entering the pro ranks are any less. They are to be commended for their effort and dedication. It is the others that give them and some of us too, persons to look up to in this sport that we all love.

Laura <hr /></blockquote>

Silverwolf/ Bluebullet,

Not too sure what you were trying to say.

I know you are inexperienced, pool naive so I'll try to explain it better. The "Pro" level of the WPBA is misleading. It's not the true "Pro" level of Pool played by both men and women today. I mentioned that a "A+" player is too much for 75 % of the WPBA. There are alot of amateurs playing at that level. Most WPBA women play at the B+/ A level, which isn't bad, but sure as heck ain't top level pool. For that matter, the lower WPBA pros could enter into a local Open tourney and probably be lucky not to go 2-3 and out. There are only 2 "good" Open level players in the WPBA- Corr and Fisher. By the same coin, they always win. 'Nough said?

nAz
12-08-2002, 12:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote A.L.F:</font><hr> I think that the newcomer is exposing the level of play from some of the "Pros". It's been speculated that if a good " A+" player were to enter the WPBA pro tournamants, 75 % of the players would get exposed as to not being able to play at that speed. Crushed in plain english. It's been said that except for the top 5-8 players, the rest couldn't even place in the money at an Open tourn. Any Open Tourn., anywhere. Any thoughts or input? <hr /></blockquote>

Thats a bold statement dude, but i may have to agree. the top ten players are really strong and A+ player will proberly run right through the rest of the field.
heard the same thing from a WPBA pro a year ago

Pogue
12-08-2002, 06:35 PM
True dat, True dat.. NOT tooting my horn, because at my best I only considered myself a strong "B" who needed a little bit of work on his game to break through to the "A" ranks.. Buuuuttt.. In Washington state, I used to regularly beat the woman who was ranked 24th in the WPBA.. But I will give her this.. She played very well.. It just seemed she didn't have the mental "toughness" to play with the big boys (and girls)..

Not a generalization of women's toughness... Good lord knows I could not squeeze a watermelon out of my pelvic area..(wink..wink)

eg8r
12-08-2002, 07:55 PM
I don't know much about the levels of the pro pool player but when matching up against the men I also pick Jeanette Lee. I saw her in Orlando putting a beating on two of the better players in the area.

eg8r

eg8r
12-08-2002, 08:02 PM
I am not agreeing or disagreeing with your post simply because it does not make sense. Your subject heading is talking about Jasmin weeding out the dead wood, but your post is all about a top male player beating 75% of the WPBA. I have to say if that man was as egotistical as this post he would probably go out and shoot himself since he could not beat the other 25%.
IMHO, If you are going to try and rehash old crap about men being better than women then don't disguise it with a stupid subject line. If you would like to keep the subject line, the maybe post something about the quality of female pool players around the world.

Now before you say anything, the reason I brought all this up is because you said if the women entered an Open tournament, blah blah blah. This means you are now including the men eventhough your post did not explicitly state the word "Men".

eg8r &lt;~~~Very happy Jasmin is over here playing /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cueball1950
12-08-2002, 09:34 PM
i would love to see what wouldd happen if the top players had to start from the 1st round rather than get a double bye to the 3rd round. i think it would be very interesting. They could still use seedings. But i am willing to bet that there would be some major upsets if they did play from the openng round...JMHO........................mike

nAz
12-08-2002, 09:37 PM
Id love to see thatupsets are always great.
JASMIN did really well. bet she put some fear into WPBA regualars, they gonna have to go hit the practice table more lol

arn3
12-08-2002, 10:18 PM
what are you saying??? that the a+ men are better than most of the wpba(that's and old arguement),,,or that a 16 year old is exposing the wpba talent level???

let me remind you that this 16 year old has a high run over 120 balls. she will put a serious dent in the top 5, if she progresses. consider that she loves what she does,her younger sibling is even more talented(this obviously runs in the family), and that she is sponsored by coca-cola in austria, there's every reason for her to try harder.

arn3
12-08-2002, 10:20 PM
yup,,,i think the top 16 are getting off easy with their byes.

12-08-2002, 10:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> I am not agreeing or disagreeing with your post simply because it does not make sense. Your subject heading is talking about Jasmin weeding out the dead wood, but your post is all about a top male player beating 75% of the WPBA.
~Where does my post refer to a top male beating the WPBA? Jasmin is on example of an A+ player showing the "Pros" what higher level pool looks like.

I have to say if that man was as egotistical as this post he would probably go out and shoot himself since he could not beat the other 25%.

~why so angry and bitter?

IMHO, If you are going to try and rehash old crap about men being better than women then don't disguise it with a stupid subject line.

~Either you assume too much or miscomprehended my words.

If you would like to keep the subject line, the maybe post something about the quality of female pool players around the world.

~My post is general statement,but that is what I was referring to.

Now before you say anything, the reason I brought all this up is because you said if the women entered an Open tournament, blah blah blah. This means you are now including the men eventhough your post did not explicitly state the word "Men".

~you know what happens when you ASSUME

eg8r &lt;~~~Very happy Jasmin is over here playing /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

arn3
12-08-2002, 10:59 PM
dude,,,,all anyone can do is assume, if you're going to be vague. by saying that the level of wpba play would be seriously challenged by an a+, the inference is clear that you refer to an a+ male,since the system of grading is based on male players. there was no miscomprehension.

" It's not
the true "Pro" level of Pool played by both men and women
today."... this is misleading because you use the same measuring stick for men and women alike. by your reasoning, there are no true women pro basketball players because the decent male collegiate is better than a female pro. so what,,,,big deal.

12-08-2002, 11:47 PM
I agree. I went to the Billiard Expo a couple years ago and sat and watched the entire tournament. I remember thinking as I watched," 60% of the field I would not want on my local Pool league at home." I think all of us who have spent any time in this game would agree with your statment.
I have seen many many good A+ players that would slaughter
most of the field. I am not saying this to be hurtful in any way. I sincerely wish it were the other way around.
Jack