PDA

View Full Version : Someone comes upto you in a Pool Hall .......

bigbro6060
12-09-2002, 01:04 AM
You've never seen that person before, never seen them play, they say "Wanna play for $5 a rack ?"

What do you say ?

I would in most cases say yes because i don't mind getting my arse kicked because i will learn much from losing just as i learn from winning.

If he/she said $10 a rack then i might barter down to $5 a rack.

nAz
12-09-2002, 01:10 AM
when it happens to me i chicken out and say lets play for time /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
then i play bad to see how good he/she might be for future reference

Chris Cass
12-09-2002, 01:38 AM
Now, this is a good question Bro,

First, never let your opponent choose the game. Unless you agree to everything. The game, spot, table, whatever. IMHO Next, the average person has $40. to gamble with. At $5. a game as requested he might only throw 4 barrels at ya. You might go off and lose $100. to win $20. Just a thought.

Me, I'll say, I only play 8 ball and tell him I don't play 9 ball very good and would need a spot. That way if you roast him? He might consider playing some 9 ball and give up some weight, you don't need.

If he said one pocket? I'd laugh. I don't play anyone I don't know one pocket under $20 a rack. It takes too long and it's not worth it.

Now, if your playing some 9 ball already and he's scoped your game? He may think he's the favorite and you might be in for a lesson. In any event, pay after every rack or post if you think it's neccessary.

Never change the game, table, or race unless it's to your advantage and to your liking. He's in your court, not his. IMHO

Regards,

C.C.~~too many nits and you could be trapped by your own ego....

Ludba
12-09-2002, 03:21 AM
$5 a rack is an expensive way to learn pool. You'd get a better, and possibly cheaper, education from a professional instructor. You could probably just as easily play someone really good in your pool hall and learn more for less. Personally, I think I learn better practicing by myself; the only cost there is table time.

I say, if you want to gamble, gamble to win money. If you want to learn, don't imagine that someone who appears out of the blue and asks you to bet is looking for a teaching job. They just want your money.

Perk
12-09-2002, 06:34 AM
Well, if someone you dont know asks you out of the blue for a money game...$5 is a cheap way to go. First, if you are a competitive player, what would it hurt to lose say $30, to meet someone better than you? And as long as you gamble smart, you could win some money. If the player is trying to hustle and droppin a few racks. Thats fine, stay comfortable, take his easy racks, and dont up the bet.

For me, a game like this is interesting. You may find that a new shooter is passin through. Or just another 5.00 man that ya can beat up on for awhile. Either way, if you like competition, gambling/tourneys will help your game as learing to cope under pressure....just my thoughts...

12-09-2002, 08:33 AM
This brings up something I've been wondering.
I had a guy come up to me at a bar wanting to play for a few bucks a rack. Being a little wary of the offer, and not too sure how I stacked up, I was hesitant (to be honest, I don't seek out a lot of money games). After his insistence, I finally agreed to play.
I won the first one. He wanted to play another game, to get a chance to get his money back, to which I agreed.
Well, I won the second game too. Since I was out with my wife and we were looking to be on our way, and not out to get into a long session of money games, I declined playing any more. The other guy's reaction was as if I was skipping out on him. He wasn't overly angry or anything, but it was obvious he wasn't happy.
So what do you think? Did I "skip out" on this guy? Were there any unwritten rules that I had broken, or is that just the way it goes and he's the one who has to deal with it? I wasn't the one to initiate the games, and I did give him an opportunity to break even. I kinda figure that, unless a certain number of games was agreed upon before hand, there are no guarantees. I certainly wouldn't expect someone to stick around until I finally beat them.
Chris

Ralph S.
12-09-2002, 08:47 AM
Chris S., as far as I am concerned its all good. He had a chance to get even and failed. As far as $5 racks go, I'll play that all night long as long as I am somewhat evenly matched. It also wouldnt hurt to toss away 5 bucks just to check out a strangers speed. JMHO.
Ralph S.

Perk
12-09-2002, 09:21 AM
IMO...if your playin in a bar and gambling, your not "locked" in like you would be in a pool hall. Many things can happen at a bar. First, you were there socially, not there to gamble. Second, bars take challengers to tables, so its hard to "lock" on. Third, you were playin pretty cheap....Take the money and run. You should get satisfaction with that. Maybe he/she was ducking, and gonna try to raise the bet...and you got away with the Cheese!

If your at a pool hall, it can be constrewed (sp) as non-polite to leave after a couple quick hits. But thats the beauty of gambling, there is no written rule, no tax guy, and you can quit anytime...You may never get the action again from him, or anyone that he talks to..but you left on your own free will. Just my thoughts!

Alfie
12-09-2002, 09:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ChrisS:</font><hr> The other guy's reaction was as if I was skipping out on him. He wasn't overly angry or anything, but it was obvious he wasn't happy.
So what do you think? Did I "skip out" on this guy? <hr /></blockquote> Screw 'em. Ya did good, Chris.

Alfie
12-09-2002, 09:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Perk:</font><hr> If your at a pool hall, it can be constrewed (sp) as non-polite to leave after a couple quick hits. <hr /></blockquote> Screw 'em in a pool hall too.

Ludba
12-09-2002, 10:25 AM
I agree that you should learn to cope with pressure, but you should also be wary of losing money on games that don't teach you anything, i.e. money that could be spent on other more fruitful pool pursuits like tourneys, books, or instruction. It's been my experience that if I'm looking for a money game, it isn't too hard to find someone looking to part with their money or someone who can easily take mine. I'm a big fan of planning ahead for learning. Spontanaity is okay, but it isn't the hard and fast rule. It's the exception that sometimes works and other times depletes my pocketbook while doing nothing to enlighten me.

This is a good topic, though. I'm a little skeptical about the idea that money games are the best pressure situations. If you want to be a money player, then you have to take/lose a few small bets in order to get into that kind of pressure situation, so you can win big later. If you're looking to be a tournament player, a few small bets are a good way to improve, but like I said before, planning ahead is better than betting on the fly. In the scenario, the guy who walks up has the advantage, since he's already planned ahead. He's probably been assessing your game, and it's folly to assume that he's paying you a compliment by picking you as a "worthy opponent." Too much ego and emotion seeps into this game and distracts from the greater goal, whatever that may be, money, improvement, etc.

Perk
12-09-2002, 11:06 AM
I agree with the planning ahead and preparing. Its true, that if you can spend money playing pool, on equipment, and gambling, that you should be able to spend some on training.

I just think in my case or the case described, that it isnt that harmful to play for a small fee. For me, its worth it for me to find out an unknowns speed and gambling style. If I lose a small amount due to the fact that the person might be a true shooter, then I odds are even better that I can "Steer" him to a friend who I already know is prepared, and we can get more money back... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And who knows, he might be a go-off and I might get a good payout from the ordeal!

Popcorn
12-09-2002, 11:41 AM
I would always play. $5.00 is not much and nobody has a gun to my head to make me go off. Play and see what happens. I used to hang in a room that was located in a bowling alley and was wall to wall champion level players. It used to be funny to see a guy and his buddies wander in and have no idea where they are. They think they are on the road or something and looking to play. Young guys are shocked to run into some old guy that plays run-out nineball. The answer is, if you do gamble, play and see what happens. Just because a guy comes in looking to play does not mean he is some kind of champion.

Popcorn
12-09-2002, 11:56 AM
Matching up and tournaments are where you see if you have learned anything. We all practice to get better but what is the goal? Competitive play is really the goal and it does not have to be gambling. I know guys that don't bet but can really get into a game. I am one of them myself (although I prefer to gamble). I can play a set for a $300. and an hour later be playing $5.00 one pocket. I love to play and it provides me with a lot of people to play with. They know I will make a fair game and play for what they feel comfortable with. I think it is a good way to be.

Ludba
12-09-2002, 12:04 PM
"Just because a guy comes in looking to play does not mean he is some kind of champion."

True that.

12-09-2002, 12:05 PM
I never really figured I was in the wrong, just kinda wondering, you know? It's important to me to play the game as sportsman-like as I can (though sometimes I slip), and I wanted to get a feel for what others thought.
Chris

Ludba
12-09-2002, 12:09 PM
"I know guys that don't bet but can really get into a game."

Me too. That's why I don't think betting is necessary, but it can help. It's just a cost versus return thing for me. No problem with betting as long as what you're getting back (e.g. money, learning, confidence, fun) at least equals what you put in.

Ludba
12-09-2002, 12:19 PM
I think you did the smart thing, and there's no written or implied laws here. All you owe him are good games and money if he wins.

To ease your mind, you might tell him before your last game that you have to go. That's common pool etiquette around here for money and non-money games. He's still gonna want to go double-or-nothing. If he loses, he'll try to convince you to play another game, but you can blame it on things you can't control (e.g. You need to pick your mother up from the hosptial or some other such nonsense) or just tell him plainly that you have to leave.

Perk
12-09-2002, 12:23 PM
Any time you gamble, keep all things in your court if you can...game, spot, $$, and the length of time you want to play...Not everyone likes to play for 6 hours in a row or more... /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Ryan
12-09-2002, 12:55 PM
Even though I rarely deny someone the opportunity to lose his money, it depends upon the person asking.

Sometimes, you will get some punk kid that has had just enough beer to make him think he's bulletproof, and he either doesn't have enough cash to make the match worth the effort or he's just looking for a cheap excuse to get into a fight. In either case, I pass.

If it's someone that at least puts forth the effort to be semi-professional in the way he presents himelf, I don't mind. Regardless of whether I win or lose, I prefer to shoot with someone that makes the match enjoyable.

The way I look at it, I don't need the extra money, and it isn't worth my time if I have to deal with a total jackass in the process.

Ludba
12-09-2002, 01:12 PM
"In order to achieve anything you must be brave enough to fail."

Good advice. But I think it's especially important to focus in on the goal to make sure that even if you do fail, you'll know the reason and be able to correct it.

The problem with betting, for me at least, is in confusing or stacking the goals... "I'm gonna stomp this guy" or "I'm gonna win a bunch of money" or "I'm gonna get better from putting money where my cue is" or "I'm gonna have a good time." If you tell yourself you're playing for fun and then get mad because you lose all your cash, the problem is probably your initial motivation, which was to win some money, not to have a good time. Prioritizing helps.

Mike H
12-09-2002, 05:51 PM
$5 a game isn't exactly going off (unless you are willing to go down an ungodly amount of games), so if I were in that situation, and I were on the improve, my mindset would probably be something like, "I'm going to bear down, play smart, and learn from my mistakes." That's what makes $5 action great, is that while you may pay for your mistakes against a better player, you're not going off. And if you're not playing a better player, and the game is clearly to your advantage, you can make a buck or two.

Ryan
12-09-2002, 06:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ludba:</font><hr> "In order to achieve anything you must be brave enough to fail."

Good advice. But I think it's especially important to focus in on the goal to make sure that even if you do fail, you'll know the reason and be able to correct it.<hr /></blockquote>

That quote was just my tag line, so I thought that I would change the color to prevent it from being misinterpreted as being part of my original post.

Sorry about that /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Ryan

Vagabond
12-09-2002, 07:12 PM
Hello mate,
If u do not mind your Arse quicked,fly to Melbourne and play Tammy or Joel.LOLCheers
vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif : /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif : /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

cheesemouse
12-09-2002, 10:12 PM
Big,
If it was 8-ball I wouldn't be interested, too much torture for the money. If it was 9-ball I couldn't pass if I had the time. The bet is cheap, you can freewheel, have fun, shoot all kinds of low % shots and show no speed. What the heck the game could get interesting if the bet changes. If you don't play you will never know. I rarely pass on cheap action if I have the time and feel like playing. Like Perk said "you run into some interesting people playing cheap". If you pass you lose to opportunity to learn something.