9 Ball Girl
12-09-2002, 06:09 AM
Sportsman of the Year - Tony Robles
Man of the Year - Phil Muller
Player of the Year - Corey Deuel
Rookie of the Year - Tony Crosby

jjinfla
12-09-2002, 07:18 AM
I wonder what criteria CW used to make those selections. We know that CW and Robles are best buds and of course Earl had no chance for player of the year. Was it limited to UPA players only? Jake

9 Ball Girl
12-09-2002, 09:14 AM
I believe it was only for UPA members. I believe Earl is no longer a UPA member. Tony got his for his behavior during the BCA tourney in Vegas last year, I think.

Wally_in_Cincy
12-09-2002, 10:43 AM
"Person most screwed over by UPA" of the year-Earl Strickland /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Alfie
12-09-2002, 01:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> "Person most screwed over by UPA" of the year-Earl Strickland <hr /></blockquote> because he was not paid immediately following the match he lost?

Wally_in_Cincy
12-09-2002, 01:47 PM
He walked outside, ripped the UPA patch off his shirt, and said "To hell with the UPA". 3 days later he got a letter accepting his "resignation" which he never tendered.

AzHousePro
12-09-2002, 01:58 PM
Player of the year and Rookie of the year were both based on the UPA points list.

Mike

stickman
12-09-2002, 02:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> I wonder what criteria CW used to make those selections. We know that CW and Robles are best buds and of course Earl had no chance for player of the year. Was it limited to UPA players only? Jake <hr /></blockquote>

I have no idea how this was done, but in most organizations, nominations are made by the membership and then voted on by the membership. That's how I think it should have been done, anyway. At least the sportsmanship award, since there is no subjective means to measure.

Ludba
12-09-2002, 02:24 PM
Yeah, I thought the UPA handled that poorly. But as we all know, Earl's no saint. One has to wonder whether his newly-professed change-of-heart is partially a result of the UPA incident. At any rate, any improvement is better than his tantrums allowed free reign.

Alfie
12-09-2002, 08:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> He walked outside, ripped the UPA patch off his shirt, and said "To hell with the UPA". 3 days later he got a letter accepting his "resignation" which he never tendered. <hr /></blockquote> Sounds to me like he quit. LOL

PoolFan
12-10-2002, 11:41 AM
"Best Tournament NOT sanctioned by UPA" - US Open 9-Ball Championships

UPA's Number #1 Fan - cueball1950

Tom_In_Cincy
12-10-2002, 06:24 PM
UPA Player in the MOST need of training for Public Relations skills

---------------&gt; Charlie Williams

cueball1950
12-10-2002, 09:36 PM
thanks POOL FAN for the honor /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif think charlie will give me that award...lmao. I doubt it. He has not learned to take constructive critism yet.
But my nomination for an award for CW is BAD SPORTSMANSHIP of the year award. For showing up at the Open and trying to convince players not to play and for calling them up on the phone and asking them also. This was told to me by a couple of top players who shall remain nameless cuz we all know what happens when you bad mouth that organization or CW as far as that goes. CW would be sending out a few more resignation letters.....LOL.in closing......thanks for the award pool fan.........mike

jjinfla
12-11-2002, 07:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> UPA Player in the MOST need of training for Public Relations skills
---------------&gt; Charlie Williams <hr /></blockquote>

Does anybody really think that CW and the UPA have really been good for pool this year? Were they really working to raise the status of pool in the public's eye? Did they have the best interest of the player in mind? Or were some people only out for themselves? Ask yourself what you think all this bickering has done to help pool. And then think how different it would have been had the UPA, and their players, backed the US Open. The US Open has been around for a long time, and many players love it. It was a shame that the UPA decided to pick a fight with them. Who really give a rats ass if the UPA sanctions an event? And if the pros who boycotted the US Open think they are such prima donnas then they have a rude awakening. I think they now realize that pool, and the US Open, will go on with or without them. There are always new, and better, players coming up. Charlie reminds me of the kid who always wanted things run his way because it was his baseball. Then one day someone else brought a baseball (we were not exactly well off as kids) and we didn't need the complainer anymore. Jake

cueball1950
12-11-2002, 08:35 PM
Very well put. Cw needs pool more than pool needs him. He ought to just fold up his tent and go away. Cuz he definately does not answer questions on here when they are asked to him...................mike

Tom_In_Cincy
12-11-2002, 08:58 PM
The UPA under its current leadership and format is not working as well as anyone had intended.

I think there is a need for an organizational change.. And the UPA needs more time and more structure and a more CORRECT media approach. All of these things can be changed and made better.

12-12-2002, 12:14 AM
what it looks like to me, and i've read all the posts down to here, over a dozen so far i guess, is that cw is new at this stuff and needs to grow into it. i think pool can benefit from this kind of "player organization" and don't see another one out there. what i first liked about charley was that he seemed to have the energy and commitment. i hope his missteps and the resulting and probably appropriate criticism don't take him off-point. it's still a good idea and i hope they all learn and get better from it.

dan