PDA

View Full Version : People Who Simply Pride Themselves...

Sid_Vicious
12-09-2002, 01:25 PM
...in saying that they beat you. I personally am not real big on touting that I ended an evening ahead in friendly games, but there are some people who seem to take their success, if even by a slim one game on the night's win side and spread it around like it was something monumental. Maybe it's just me but unless I'm playing some world beater or shooting for cash money, I don't really care whether I maintain a winning night. Maybe I like to have fun and others like to win, and maybe it's a tribute to me and my game that somebody brags upon themselves about winning against me. I suppose it's 'diferent strokes for different strokes'...sid~~~jus' my 2c

SpiderMan
12-09-2002, 01:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> ...but there are some people who seem to take their success, if even by a slim one game on the night's win side and spread it around like it was something monumental. Maybe it's just me but unless I'm playing some world beater .....<hr /></blockquote>

Face it, you're getting this reputation and anyone who comes out ahead on you is going to have the "big head" /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

SpiderMan

Wally_in_Cincy
12-09-2002, 01:52 PM
take it as a compliment. let 'em have their fun knowing that you will shove it up their a$$ next time

been there..........once /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jjinfla
12-09-2002, 01:52 PM
Yeah Sid, I think it is more of the second part of what you said. So sit back and enjoy the praise. And make sure you don't let him win next time. Must be a "him" because I doubt that you would let a "girl" beat you. Unless, of course, you had some devious, ulterior motive. LOL Jake

Ludba
12-09-2002, 02:18 PM
One time that's happened, but the guy was a once-a-year player, so winning against me was a big deal. All the guys I play against are real upstanding fellas, so I don't get that any other time.

Sometimes I get the opposite treatment: after I beat this really good player, he refused to shake my hand. He wasn't trying to insult me, but I think shaking my hand would have been an acknowledgement to the validity of the loss for him. In his mind, he was playing awful. In all honesty, he was playing ok, but not his best game, and I was playing well.

Another time in league play, I beat my friend, who quite honestly is an amazing player. He complained that he was getting all bad rolls. I told him that was bullshit, and that I played some good safes and had a good run.

For myself, I love winning and hate losing. I don't have an off switch, even in friendly games. Even if I beat somebody who is awful, I take pride in that, but I usually only brag about specific shots, not games won. For me, it's more about personal excellence than quashing the competition.

TomBrooklyn
12-09-2002, 03:05 PM
Yep, if they didn't think it was a notable achievement to beat you, they wouldn't say anything. I would love to have people run around bragging that they beat me.

silverbullet
12-09-2002, 05:41 PM
yep. you must be pretty good for them to go bragging about. think about it. why would i brag about beating a 2 or a 3. a 5 would be dif. so they are bragging about beating a better player.

blu

Chris Cass
12-09-2002, 05:56 PM
Hi Sid,

Nothing wrong with that. They did win bragging rights as far as I'm concerned. It's the guy that takes you off for a hundred or two and brags about the win and neglects to mention the part they, got the 6 out. That really makes me sick. Then, the next time you give them the same weight, you beat them back and they say nothing.

It's not about the win or the loss. It's about How you feel about yourself. Everyone knows that you'll lose more times than you'll win. Then, smart'en up and only take games you can win and they'll call you a nit. LOL So, you can't win for losing.

Regards,

C.C.

Tom_In_Cincy
12-09-2002, 06:55 PM
All part of being the "one to beat" in the pool hall.. when it happens.. accept it.. you cannot win them all.. But, there are players that know that when they play Sid.. they lose. (and they know that if even if they get lucky and they win.. they still will lose later.. because you have beat them before.. )

You are in THE position to be a winner.. acting like a winner is accepting that others will act silly and rant about beating you.. NEXT time.. remind them why it was such a 'special' occasion that they won.. its a rare win..