PDA

View Full Version : Viking tour in Cincy-Putnam vs. Basavitch

Wally_in_Cincy
12-09-2002, 02:02 PM
Viking tour was in Cincy this weekend. The only players I had heard of were Shawn Putnam, Dan Basavitch, Frank Ruby, and Joe Brown.

Putnam and Kid Delicious were playing for the hot seat IIRC. Putnam was on the hill at 6-0 then came up dry on the break. Basavitch ran that rack and 3 more. Then Basavitch won a safety battle in game 11 and won 7-6. The thing is Putnam really did nothing wrong, just got beat by a darn good player. Very entertaining.

I guess my point is anything can happen in this crazy game.

Mike Janis seems like a pretty nice fellow too, from our brief conversation.

Eric.
12-09-2002, 02:18 PM
Danny is from my area and I had a chance to watch him go from a weak B player to World Class in less than 10 years! The scary part is that he's not even one of the top 10 players around here! He is one helluva player. He got alot of help from Neptune Joe.

Eric

Mike H
12-09-2002, 03:39 PM
The thing you gotta watch with Danny is that he's a hell of a come from behind player. I once saw him playing someone races to 11, I think for $1000. Two straight sets he was down 10-1, two straight sets he won 11-10. The guy's got heart.

phil in sofla
12-09-2002, 08:19 PM
When Danny was winning his first pro tournament down here two Novembers ago or so (beat Buddy Hall in the finals), he was playing local Rob Melrose 8 ahead 9-ball the night before. Rob got on the hill pretty quickly, and then Danny won 15 in a row to take him all the way back around and out. Is that a tactic he uses, or is he just a slow starter?

Speaking of slow, Danny was practice stroking maybe 10 times, minimum, and then on his last stroke, he'd only take the cue back about half the distance of his practice strokes. Seemed very weird, but he didn't miss much of anything he shot at. Does he still play like that?

Wally_in_Cincy
12-10-2002, 07:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote phil in sofla:</font><hr> When Danny was winning his first pro tournament down here two Novembers ago or so (beat Buddy Hall in the finals), he was playing local Rob Melrose 8 ahead 9-ball the night before. Rob got on the hill pretty quickly, and then Danny won 15 in a row to take him all the way back around and out. Is that a tactic he uses, or is he just a slow starter?

<font color="blue"> That's the only time I've seen him play. Actually he really didn't have a chance to shoot much those first 6 games. But once he saw an opening he pounced on it </font color>

Speaking of slow, Danny was practice stroking maybe 10 times, minimum, and then on his last stroke, he'd only take the cue back about half the distance of his practice strokes. Seemed very weird, but he didn't miss much of anything he shot at. Does he still play like that?

<font color="blue"> IIRC he did not play slow at all. Not fast either but not slow like Archer or somebody. Maybe 5 or 6 practice strokes. Don't quote me, I was drinking /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif </font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

Eric.
12-10-2002, 08:48 AM
Phil,

Danny can be a little slow out of the gate. Especially when matching up, he takes it easy til he sizes the situation up, then hits the Nitrous button! Seen it too many times.

Eric &gt;don;t want to knock his action

ShayneinDayton
12-12-2002, 02:26 PM
Does anyone know who won? I had to leave just after the finals started. thanks Shayne

Wally_in_Cincy
12-12-2002, 02:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ShayneinDayton:</font><hr> Does anyone know who won? I had to leave just after the finals started. thanks Shayne <hr /></blockquote>

Putnam won. I don't know who his opponent was. I had to leave before the finals.

Apparently Putnam's opponent forfeited. Said he was "sick"

Hmmm....

ShayneinDayton
12-13-2002, 08:26 AM
Thanks Wally, The finals were Putnam vs Basavitch. Putnam had to win 2 sets. Shayne

Tom_In_Cincy
12-14-2002, 08:55 AM
Putman won. "Kid D" was reported to be sick...

Three reasons were rumored for this sickness

1. He consumed 5 hamburgers in a 4 hour period. (really is the number one reason)
2. Too many shots
3. Too much beer

ShayneinDayton
12-14-2002, 11:24 AM
I wonder who gave Basavitch his nick name? When I first saw him, quite a few nick names came to mind but "Kid Delicious" wasn't one of them.

Tom_In_Cincy
12-14-2002, 11:29 AM
I have been told that he gave it to himself.