PDA

View Full Version : "Spin the Ball George"

Pogue
12-09-2002, 08:01 PM
Any of the older posters on here ever heard of this old-time gambler? I heard this guy was totally unbeleivable, spinning the ball around the table, and could do more spinning the ball on a pool table than most guys could do with a cue.. I've heard a story about him betting all the professionals at some tourney or another that he could place a ball on the pink spot on a snooker table, and spin the cue ball three rails and put in in.. He got odds of 10-1 and such, but made it the first or second try..

Come on, give us some stories of this remarkable guy..

Pogue

Harold Acosta
12-09-2002, 10:48 PM
There's a older gentlemen in PR that bets on pocketing a ball from the siderail in the kitchen in either of the two end pockets by spinning the cueball with his hands, starting and staying in the kitchen. Mostly uses three rails to get the ball where he wants it, then he uses one or two rails to kick the ball in. He bets he can make it on 10 or 15 trys depending on where the ball is placed in the side-rail. He does that for a few hours and pockets hundreds of dollars on $10, $15, or $20 bets. Just got to see this $hit to believe it!

[b]<font color="blue">Billiards is a passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>
http://www.thebilliardstour.com/images/starscrash.gif

Cueless Joey
12-09-2002, 10:53 PM
He must have laminated fingers, short fingernails and hollowed thumbs with goo filling. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Professor
12-10-2002, 08:12 AM
Yea, I can give you a couple of stories, about “Spin-the-ball” George, at least that is who we came to know him as.

There are three of us sitting on the bench around a vacant table in the poolroom one day when this old guy walks in and eases into our conversation. He is standing at the end of the table, and at some point began to casually spin the cue ball, with his hand, three rails around the table, as we all have done at some time or another. As we sat there chewing the fat he began to hit an object ball of two on the same end of the table he was standing, and eventually knocked one of them in the corner pocket at the foot of the table. No one paid any particular attention, for what he was doing seemed a natural activity and there was nothing particularly impressive about it.

Well at some point the proposition came that he would bet he could start with 3 balls in a triangle on the spot, and work them all into the left hand corner pocket spinning the cue ball three rails or more around the table in a given number of tries or less. Since the main topic of our conversation that evening had been one-pocket, this seemed like a natural proposition bet. Well two of us, a kid name Kevin Eaves and myself, took him up on this at 75 shots (spins) for a small wager of something like 20 to 40 dollars which we were going up together on. No big deal.

Well he managed to get all three ball into the corner pocket in around 72 tries. Not that impressive and combined Kevin and I were out a couple of $20’s at most. So, we asked for an adjustment and we would try it again. So, this time the bet was on 70 throws or less. Well talk about bad luck, he got them all three pocket in about 68 throws. Again, no big deal. Besides it was taking a while for him to do this and it was a source of amusement as we whiled away the hours in the poolroom that day. Plus, the old fellow was very pleasant and happy to adjust, besides we were just killing time. Furthermore, with him being so agreeable about adjusting, we knew we would win sooner or later.

Well it turned out to be much later; at 65 he makes it in 63, at 60 he makes it in 59, at 55 he makes it in 54, and so on, and on and on……. When at 12 he makes the three balls in 10 throws, and is willing to adjust to 9, we got off. To say the least it wasn’t quite so amusing by this time, but I will say it was down right amaseing to see him do it. Plus by this time if he had told us he could do it in 4, we wouldn’t have bet against it.

The two of us, Kevin and myself, discovered that old man’s identity some years later when both of us happened to read the same article in a magazine one day. Now, the funny thing is, the third person in our conversation that day when the old man entered to room, was an old time road player from back in the days of Johnson City, named Tex “Sonny” Springer (that’s right his given name is Tex and his nickname is “Sonny”). As Kevin and I realized, Sonny had to know who this guy was, but in the true fashion of a gambler, he never let on. It was an expensive laugh, but we mused that we should have known something that day when, Sonny, one of the biggest proposition betters you will ever meet, never even asked for a part of the bet!

Now, we never saw the old man’s ID, but if that wasn’t “Spin-the-ball” George, he is every bit as good as we found out George was supposed to be.

There is another story about the old man I could tell, as I am sure there are many by other. But, since it was told to me by a friend, and I didn't actually see it happen, I would rather now post it here. However, I will post it later on the Southern Billiards discussion board “Roadies and Action” forum. If you are interested, the discussion board can be accessed through the Southern Billiards web site at http://SouthernBilliards.com Also, if some of you that knew "Sonny" Springer want to see what he looks like now, there is a picture of him in the Player Index on the Southern Billiards site.

Again, I don’t know for sure that the old man we encountered years ago was in fact “Spin-the-ball” George. But, I would be interested to know if George is still alive or what ever happened to him.

I hope you enjoyed the story,

Ed Wiggins
12-10-2002, 06:02 PM
There is a story on "Spin the Ball George", whose last name was Cook, in the Dec. 1996 issue of Pool &amp; Billiard Magazine. It reports several "tales" of shots that some of the old time players saw him accomplish...similar to the description in another posting in this thread. He apparently owned a poolroom in Miami and was in action in the 1950s. He died in 1959.

Regards,

Ed

Harold Acosta
12-10-2002, 09:32 PM
The guy in Puerto Rico should be in his 60's or 70's. Based on the story you just provided, our fellow must've seen or known "spin the Ball George." That would put the PR gentlemen around 20 to 30 years old in 1959.

[b]<font color="blue">Billiards is a passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>
http://www.thebilliardstour.com/images/starscrash.gif

#### leonard
12-11-2002, 08:10 AM
There was an old time billiard exhibionist[Garaguin]from Soth America that was so good at spinning the balls playing three cushion billiards that people thought it was a scam. He would slap the cueball into the rail and get the three rails on one then score the point he beat great players with his hand according to legend. He would also use marble size balls to play.####