PDA

View Full Version : HELP ! Which VIDS would you choose from this List

bigbro6060
12-09-2002, 08:38 PM
Say you had to choose 5 or 6, ranking them in order

Byrnes, Vols 1, 2, and 5
Mike Sigel's Runout Series, and Sigel's Perfect Pool, (8 ball, 9 ball, and
straight pool). Sigel is a real jerk, btw.
The Pro Book video series, vols. 1, 2, and 4, (The Monk)
Burt Kinister, The Mighty X, and Advance Fundamentals
BCA's How to Play Pool Right, with Jerry Briesath
C.J. Wiley's Ultimate Pool Secrets, vols 1, 2, and 3
Fast Eddie Parker, How to Master Pocket Billiards
Grady Mathews, The Finer Points of Pool, and The Finer Points of One Pocket.

Mike H
12-09-2002, 09:50 PM
I own Byrne's Vol. 5 and both Kinister tapes...they all have good material to practice. I've heard CJ has a very different type of stuff on his tapes, I haven't seen them though. I may give them a look soon myself. Sigel is a jerk, and I'm glad I got the tapes for free, because I will never do anything that results in money entering his pocket. I also want to check out the Pro Book series, but haven't had a chance to yet. I say go with the Pro Book tapes and Cj's tapes or Bert's tapes (note: although the material on his tapes is good, the two you've mentioned really focus on a couple of details and don't go much further.)

phil in sofla
12-10-2002, 02:10 AM
Know them all, but Jerry's and the Pro Book series.

Jerry is highly recommended, and I'd say put him in, sight unseen at 1.

The Pro book series follows the book, and it gives you reference shots and shape, banks, kicks, and kick safeties, maybe 15 of each, with extension variations and zone boundaries to show where it's still a valid shot. That will build your game tremendously. Gotta put that group high, at 2 (through 4?)

Of the rest listed, all are good, but these ones of Burt's are too limited. Mighty X is table length draws down the length of the diagonal. Advanced fundamentals is stance alignment and shooting one handed to work on that. I'd put them down at the bottom unless those are of particular interest to you. (His 60 minute workout, not on the list) I'd put at 3).

Sigel's is the best on the games, strategies and moves. If you are interested in straight pool, it's a must in this list. In the runout series, he points out everything as it comes up, but the perfect tape is a little more detailed, and I'd make that 3.

Grady's are the most advanced instruction. The One Pocket tape is somewhat misnamed, and it's subtitle is Just Kicks, and that's what it covers. He uses reference lines and adjustments long and short off them, and a lot of English for his systems. The Finer points of pool shows a lot of kicking systems as well, plus force follow, jumps, masses, etc. #4 for the Finer points of pool, a little more comprehensive than the 1 pocket tape.

The others cover more of the preliminary basics of shooting more thoroughly, into more advanced topics. Any would be a good pick at 5.

Parker's is 2 hours long, and goes from stance and stroke and bridge to 2 rail and 3 rail kicks, and the diamond system. This is about what Byrnes does, but Parker goes a lot further, and I'd make that my pick of the three for 5.

C.J. Wiley's has the basics as well as many advanced shots, but is presented with filler chopping it up, should be one longer tape. Lot of production values and flash, but some of what he has is unique. He shows how to use back hand English for kicks and banks (that's the only way he uses English). More jumping and masse fundamentals. Aiming to one side of the pocket to make it play bigger for throw. A fractional ball aiming system. These would be good at 5 as well, but only together as a group.

Wally_in_Cincy
12-10-2002, 08:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigbro6060:</font><hr>

Mike Sigel's Runout Series, and Sigel's Perfect Pool, (8 ball, 9 ball, and
straight pool). Sigel is a real jerk, btw.

<font color="blue">jerk or not these are excellent tapes. where did you find them? </font color>
.................................................. ...............

Fast Eddie Parker, How to Master Pocket Billiards

<font color="blue">This is not so great IMHO. There is an intesting explanation of the diamond system, if you're into that sort of thing. </font color><hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Have not seen the others </font color>