PDA

View Full Version : Fed up....

Chris Cass
12-10-2002, 01:51 AM
Hello Everyone,

If I hear another 5 and below tell me how frustrated they are and how pool is hard? I'm going to cut off my ears. What in the heck did you think it was? Whinning about putting in 6 mths and going nowhere in the game. Do me a favor and stick a damm knife in my chest.

Everybody, now days wants everything and right now. They complain they shoot bad. They don't practice. They practice 6 mths and they think they're suppose to run racks. They kick balls in 3 rails and feel they should be able to take off the Open. And where the heck is Steve Lipsky, Howie, and George Fels.

Give me a break,

C.C.

nAz
12-10-2002, 02:04 AM
Yes where is Howie Pearl and George Fels CCB turns it lonely eyes to them...

CC for X-Mass im going print and mail you every post i can find on "how pool is hard" and "why cant i get better i play a whole hour a week?"

~~ Naz hoping CC stabs himself so he can get hands on SW /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
12-10-2002, 06:51 AM
HAHHAHHAHHA

Well nAz,

I guess you see right through me. LOL I'm really not mad. It's funny because I don't remember how much or if I was frustrated when I started playing. I know deep inside eveyone will be frustrated with their play, sooner or later.

It never stops. I remember thinking in small increments or goals. I started out wanting to beat my peers. I also remember how much fun I had playing till one day. That was the day I knew I was hooked like a big fish.

It was then I thought I'd never make it as a player. I was stuck. I couldn't see the light at the end of the tunnel. Bottom line is all about being positive. You have to try to ask yourself. What makes my friend better than I at this game. It's then you notice what they are doing that makes them better.

It's hard work to say the least. It's hard work to make running a rack look easy. It's true it's all in the stroke. So, you can do this two ways or both. Practice to get your stroke mechanics right. Play in competition to get better or both.

I chose both but hadn't had anything to go by and practiced just making balls. Today, you have both Qualified instruction, tourneys and direction to get there. I remember setting Sunday as a practice goal back then. I wanted to shoot with a friend the entire day. I kept track of how long I played. Still a goal but not really direction.

We all know what we need is to burn in the stroke. Then, forget about it during competition. Let the stroke we've burned in come out. Yep, it's work. So, 6 mths in and what do we do? What is the plan. Crying about it doesn't help. So, what's the first thing on the agenda?

I returned to rebuild my stroke from the ground up. My entire mechanics. You must think about your options. Do, I quit the game or do I give it my best and deal with the pitfalls? After a few mths it's too late. It's in your blood.

The first thing I did. Find the pro that I most admired. Someone close to my size and body structure. Then, mimic their stroke. Well, I found for myself that I liked a few pros and admired them for different parts of their game I liked. Makes sence huh? I also noticed a "D" player with certain shot that they made that although I can beat him. He made a shot in a way that was better than most. So, I added a "D" player to my list also.

I liked Johnnie Archers break and stroke pattern, Efrens kicks and calmness, Bustys stroke and quick style, Buddy's pattern play, Earls dedication and drive, Jimmy Reids thought process, and this shot down the "D" player makes look so good.

So, the first thing I did was tape Jonny Archer playing Buddy on tv. I popped the tape in and slow mo his break frame by frame. I practiced it for like 3 mths. Now, I don't have Johnnys height but Barbara can tell you what she thinks of my break. Still, if you don't practice it and fine tune? It's go too.

Basically, I watched and learned, practiced and burned in my stroke mechanics. It's a battle but one that can be fought and possible won.

The most was the stroke. How, I burn in the stroke is important. I'm gonna tell you what I did. You can believe it or you can choose not to.

I chose Archers 4 stroke method, Busty's stroke style and moved my grip to the middle finger and ring finger followed by slight pressure from the thumb. I chose those fingers for myself because of the effect it gave me.

I set up a mirror till I got the camcorder the most useful tool. Now mind you, without a qualified BCA instructor or someone that's level has give them understanding of what it should look like. It could do you more harm then good. You could burn in the wrong things. JAT

I would mention what shot I did but I won't undermine the wonderful instructors whom I have great respect for. I know they do this for a living and will not.

Anyway, it's the same set up everytime, moving slightly to not burn a path into the cloth. I look into the mirror and make sure everything is straight. I'll do the 4 stroke method and have the pump thing going on and shoot the shot everyday till I complete 1000. Then, compete putting it in the back of my mind. There's no room in there to think about stroking when all you thoughts are focused on the shot.

I'll go back and do this again periodically to make sure it's there and done correctly. Then, I'll break down each pros shot or method I want and burn that in too. It's work and if some think it's all fun, they're mistaken. My fun is cashing in the tourney. My joy is having a Master BCA instructor give me compliments that I will cherrish forever. The return is so much greater than my effort. It's the most inner gratification one can receive from working. No job, I've ever worked at ever made me feel the feelings I've received from this job.

I've met the most talented instructors, players, cuemakers (legends) and friends. Some give you celebrity status and make you feel special. I feel like I'm the luckiest man on earth. Now, ask me if working is worth it?

Turn that whine around to a woof. If you work hard enough you too can feel this return. Now, I'm not all that and far from being where my dreams are but still I feel special. If you work hard enough you won't have time to think negative thoughts. I talk about ####leonard who can run a 100 balls oposite handed, Fran a woman pro, George Fels an accomplished writer and has seen marvels play, Steve Lipsky who can run 100's and has played with the best, Howie Pearl a legend, Grady one of the foremost in one pocket play and instruction, not to mention countless others who post here.

Everyone, needs to listen to these people. They have a chance without working to tap into their minds and it's free.

Bottom line, don't whine. Ask questions, listen to what they have to say. This knowledge is there for you. Take advantage of it. We've lost so many and then we ask, why are we missing? I pride myself as being the only one on this board able, to get Fran back. Yes, I'm bragging. No, I can't do it. Why, because of fear someone will spoil it once again for the ones that really want to move up. JAT

Regards,

C.C.~~respects those with the knowledge to help others excel.

Karatemom
12-10-2002, 07:11 AM
I heard you the first time. I don't need to be told twice. You told me last night what I'm doing wrong and what needs to be done.

Heide ~ doesn't whine, but bitches an awful lot lately

Kato
12-10-2002, 08:52 AM
That's why I've basically quit playing Chris. I find myself whining about how badly I'm playing then I realize I'm playing maybe 1 time per week for 2 hours or so. Pretty tough to play good when you never play. I truly hope I get a passion back to play. I want to miss it so bad, sadly though, I don't.

Kato

Stretch
12-10-2002, 10:29 AM
Hi CC. (Love your initials by the way as "Canadian Club" or "CC" for short is my favorite drink)

You really struck a cord with me on that whole "why can't i be good right away" thing. Most of those whiners aren't in it for the long haul. You can just tell that at the first sign of adversity, or a particularely brutal thrashing, they will probably quit or join the ranks of the weekend warrier crowd. They are mostly the recreational types. Not that that's a bad thing by any means but it does put an instant cieling on where your potential will be irrigardless of what type of help they will beg, borrow or steal. It's just that simple.

Us hopeless "lifers" are left holding the bag. Bag of what? Secrets? Nope. Spells and incantations? Nope. Mystical Cures? Nope. What then. Well all i can see is just plain old love of the game i guess. What else could it be? Man this game has kicked me in the groin so many times, dragged me through the mud. Taken me to the highest highs and the lowest lows yet i still come back for more. If it ain't love then i'm the worst Masochist on the face of the earth LOL. Over time even the most stuborn of practisioners begin to understand a few "truths" about the game and how it's played. They may be general, or specific to certain situations but mostly these truths are all about "you". It's a journey to find "you" and in that regard it's the most endlessly fancinateing and spiritually uplifting thing any of us can attempt to do. There ARE no shortcuts here, it's either a way of life, or mediocrity. St

TomBrooklyn
12-10-2002, 11:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> I find myself whining about how badly I'm playing then I realize I'm playing maybe 1 time per week for 2 hours or so. Pretty tough to play good when you never play. I truly hope I get a passion back to play. <hr /></blockquote>I don't think that has to be a problem. I have only been playing about once a week for the last couple of months and I'm playing better than ever. If you feel like playing, play. If you don't, don't. What are you worried about? Do whatever you want and enjoy it.

Hope I didn't jinx myself, but I think I just did. Now I better practice before league tonight.

Wally_in_Cincy
12-10-2002, 11:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr>
I don't think that has to be a problem. I have only been playing about once a week for the last couple of months and I'm playing better than ever. If you feel like playing, play. If you don't, don't. What are you worried about? Do whatever you want and enjoy it.

Hope I didn't jinx myself, but I think I just did. Now I better practice before league tonight. <hr /></blockquote>

You better knock on wood. The same thing happened to me back in May when I quit practicing. I was still playing a few hours a week but not practicing. It caught up to me in August. Now I pretty much suck. Gonna start practing hard again in March.

Kato
12-10-2002, 12:18 PM
Sadly Wally it is a problem for me. If I'm not playing a lot I lose it quickly. It's a curse.

Kato~~~low natural talent and low desire = no fun and lot's of losing.

Chris Cass
12-10-2002, 01:38 PM
Hi Babe,

So, what makes you think I was relating to you? Do you feel guilty? You don't have to worry, you might have to open your eyes though. I see talent and a future for you in pool but then again. I know what to look for. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

C.C.~~some people are feel guilty before even being charged for the crime. LOL

Chris Cass
12-10-2002, 01:42 PM
Hi Kato,

Your just wooped. Remember this my friend. When all the dust settles pool will always be there. It also can be a great alternative for lost relationships. It's helped me more than once but then again, I was the "G" in Gigillo.

Regards,

C.C.~~stud puppy..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

rackmup
12-10-2002, 01:44 PM
Kato!

Dump the new woman! She has ruined you. I repeat,

D-u-m-p the new woman! Put her down and s-l-o-w-l-y back away. Good.

Now, grab your cues and get down to the pool hall and work on getting your game back.

Regards,

Ken (women...hmphhh!)

Kato
12-10-2002, 02:27 PM
NO, Katy is very shiny and I will not put her down.

This has been coming for along time. I've been quitting and then not quitting. I love this game, really love this game so it hurts me inside to be like this. Everytime I get on the table I feel like I've insulted her because I'm not putting any effort in on it. I'm not giving our great game the attention she deserves.

Someday, when I can give her what I owe her then I'll come back to her. Until then I guess she'll see me Wednesday nights for 3 hours or so to support my friends.

Kato~~~has finished his first run

Karatemom
12-10-2002, 03:12 PM
Guilty, no. You told me the same things last night, and it's no coincience that I am a 5.

9 Ball Girl
12-10-2002, 03:22 PM
Uh oh. I think Chris is in for it now...

http://images.animfactory.com/animations/people_a_l/businessmen_women/man_head_spinning_md_wht.gif

Kato
12-10-2002, 03:49 PM
Chris, help me to help you...............please. It seems like you may need to go hide in the corn fields for a while. Be careful.

Kato

silverbullet
12-10-2002, 03:55 PM
If you are talking about me, chris, I do have high expectations but no time limits. And even at almost everyday practice, it is hard to advance. Sometimes I think I am better than I am, and sometimes I think I am worse than I am.

The only question I really had was whether it was hard for me because I did not have as much talent as others. It would be nice to know, but to be realistic, it would mean that I just have to work harder.

It reminds me of my time in AA. I was going to meetings everyday and the months seems to drag, I thought I would never reach a year of sobriety. And then the years speeded up and before I knew it, it was 10, 11, 12 and so on...

I guess it will be like that with pool. Four months of hard work, one day will be a year. it seems to drag slowly now but i am thinking that one day the years will pass quickly and one day I might be considered a good player. I hope so.

blu

silverbullet
12-10-2002, 04:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr> Guilty, no. You told me the same things last night, and it's no coincience that I am a 5. <hr /></blockquote>

Sometimes the so role gets mixed up with the teacher role. When I first started, I need ww to show me certain basics. Now I need his as my husband, not my teacher...unless I ask. Some people are okay with their so being their teachers forever, but sometimes it causes problems and it is time to take that teacher hat off and let their 'student' learn in their own way and from different teachers.

blu

Chris Cass
12-10-2002, 11:17 PM
Oh No BW,

Not you too? Your feeling guilty too? LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~looks like I may have struck a cord and everyones singing. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod
12-10-2002, 11:23 PM
Quote CC, Everybody, now days wants everything and right now.

Yes tis a shame, the thought one might actually have to work hard to play well. Of course pool is just one area.

Rod
12-10-2002, 11:29 PM
Ok bring out the boxing gloves! Heide you've got the first smack, above belt that is! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif LOL Hey wait a minute CC's under the weather right now It will have to be posponed a bit.

Rod
12-10-2002, 11:35 PM
Have a look here---------http://www.maylin.net/Fireworks.html

Chris Cass
12-10-2002, 11:58 PM
It's a funny thing. When, everyone can often see the improvement before the student. As far as Heide goes. You wouldn't see her or even think of her taking off a tourney. No matter what the handicaps are, 6 mths ago.

I get so many compliments on her ability and none tell her, They tell me. Then, she'll down herself and her abilities like any other 5. They just need to relax, keep trying and not judge each performance as a constant.

As the 5's grow and see the things they're doing and acomplishing they'll see what practice and faith can do for their games.

I also have a son. He doesn't listen to squat. He's easy. If he's smiling? He won a match. If he's mad? He lost. If he's singing to the music? He's running out and doesn't care what the score is. LOL

Wish life were that easy for me, is all.

Regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
12-11-2002, 12:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr> Guilty, no. You told me the same things last night, and it's no coincience that I am a 5. <hr /></blockquote>

Ahh, so now we have a mind reader in the family.

Regards,

C.C.~~loves Heide and ducking big time. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

silverbullet
12-11-2002, 01:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Oh No BW,

Not you too? Your feeling guilty too? LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~looks like I may have struck a cord and everyones singing. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Chris, you are a funny nice guy and i wish you all the best. I say this because it looks like I wont be here much longer and I wish to express positive feelings to those who I like while I am still here.

blu

Chris Cass
12-11-2002, 06:31 AM
BW,

Unless you know something we don't know? That's a statement that shouldn't have to be made. No matter what, nothing in this world is stopping me from being myself. Your already winning against something that's been beating people for along time. Quiting or throwing in the towel doesn't seem to be in your vocabulary. Don't let a pool game or anything else change what kind of person you are or want to be. Making peace with ones self is a gratifying feeling. A feeling that brings calmness and shows no fear against anything. Pool losses seem so trivial. So, in reality we've placed too high a price on our ego.

Regards,

C.C.

silverbullet
12-11-2002, 07:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> BW,

Unless you know something we don't know? That's a statement that shouldn't have to be made. No matter what, nothing in this world is stopping me from being myself. Your already winning against something that's been beating people for along time. Quiting or throwing in the towel doesn't seem to be in your vocabulary. Don't let a pool game or anything else change what kind of person you are or want to be. Making peace with ones self is a gratifying feeling. A feeling that brings calmness and shows no fear against anything. Pool losses seem so trivial. So, in reality we've placed too high a price on our ego.

Regards,

C.C. <hr /></blockquote>

chris,

I started another thread for this. you have been very kind.you are right, in spite of extreme sensitivity, i have this steel rod of strength. read the other thread for a more elaborate response.

blu

Kato
12-11-2002, 07:32 AM
As dedicated as she is I'm sure that her improvement is steady. My improvement stopped a while ago. Maybe my new Chris Cass Instructional Video Tape will help?

Kato~~~fan of the entire Cass family.

SpiderMan
12-11-2002, 12:29 PM
Chris,

Nobody could type all that with TWO DAMN FINGERS!

SpiderMan

Karatemom
12-11-2002, 03:49 PM
Hi Spidey! He can, it just takes him 4 hours to type a paragraph, LOLOLOL.

He uses more than 2 now. He has figured out how to use his thumb for the spacebar, hahahahahahahaha.

Heide

Chris Cass
12-11-2002, 06:17 PM
Hi Marty,

I wouldn't take that bet, if I were you. LOL Thanks but it's true. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~it's a comin... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

silverbullet
12-12-2002, 02:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hello Everyone,

If I hear another 5 and below tell me how frustrated they are and how pool is hard? .....C.C.
<hr /></blockquote>

well i did my share of complaining when i began but dont have any tolerance now.if ya dont like the way something is change it or walk away. i get so sick of these 5's (males heide) complain about how horrible they shoot yet they never practice and only shoot once a week on league night. some of em play like 3-4 anyway. well thats apa here, it is all mixed up imo, players dont play like their sl....but if they dont like how they are playing, why they dont take a lesson and practice what the instructor taught them is beyond me.....i am sure a 50-100 lesson is way less than what they spend on beer...

blu

Chris Cass
12-12-2002, 03:32 AM
Well Kato,

The instructional video has turned out to be anything I can fill some space with. It's taped so poorly and the camera so unsteady it looks like I'll have to put a warning label on it , " Do not watch under the influence." LOL Heck, I even got Christ on it. I did manage to get some corn in it for ya. LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~Speilberg, doesn't have to sweat me.

Kato
12-12-2002, 07:43 AM
Send it Cass /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif, I'm ma waitin'

Kato~~~wants to know if corn is different in Illinois

Chris Cass
12-12-2002, 10:27 AM
Yaa, Yaa, ok.

C.C.~~you asked for it brah

TomBrooklyn
12-12-2002, 01:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Pretty tough to play good when you (don't play much.) <hr /></blockquote>I have only been playing about once a week for the last couple of months and I'm playing better than ever. ...Hope I didn't jinx myself, but I think I just did. <hr /></blockquote> I knew I shouldn't have posted that. Shot below par at league the other night. Now I have to go practice. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
12-12-2002, 01:26 PM
Hi Tom,

I know how you feel brother. It's like making a excellent shot and noticing it. The next is a sure miss even hanging in the jaws. LOL

Regards,

C.C.

9 Ball Girl
12-12-2002, 01:32 PM
Are you kidding me Tom?! Did you forget the 2 spectacular bank shots that you made? http://216.40.249.192/mysmilies/otn/realhappy/mhihi.gif

TomBrooklyn
12-12-2002, 01:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> If I hear another 5 and below tell me how frustrated they are and how pool is hard? I'm going to cut off my ears. What in the heck did you think it was? Whinning about putting in 6 mths and going nowhere in the game. <hr /></blockquote>I remember hanging outside Hall of Fame with nAz, and chatting with this young female ballbanger who was describing her misses and troubles with this tone of amazement on how she was "off". I doubt if she knew 20% of what comprises a good stroke.

It was so laughable. I tried to discuss some stroke basics with her which went right over her head. She wanted to discuss table length banks and 'easy' combinations to the side pocket. She was in her own little world of what she thought pool was about.

I've found in anything I've ever ventured to learn, the more you know about it, the more involved it becomes as you realize all the things that are required to be learned to master it. All these things are not even percieved by the beginner. The layers have to be peeled away like an onion.

Chris Cass
12-12-2002, 01:55 PM
Hi Tom,

Can't agree with you more. The trouble with it is that it doesn't stop. You have frustration at every level. Even, look at Earl. It doesn't stop but one thing it teaches you is about yourself and how you must deal with it to excel.

It is funny but try telling them their problems are minimal and you know what's to come in the future of the game. They just can't see that far. When I say, "ya, so ya missed, what's the problem?" in a calm voice like nothings wrong. They all seem so devistated and ready to throw everything out the window. It's hilarious, like if they could. LOL

Oh, but the feeling of running is worth the aggravation.

Regards,

C.C.

Perk
12-12-2002, 02:04 PM
As a golfer (4 handicap), bowler (192 avg), and an avid pool player (B+/A) it happens in everything. Thinking back it even happened during H.S. sports. Everyone plains out at some point, and it takes something to propel you past that point. Usually the game gets worse before it gets better.

In the pool world, the beginners are frustrated cause alot of people run balls and they cant. The intermediate player gets frustrated cause the advance player looks and runs around the table like its Patrick playing VP3..lol...My point is that when you get to that breaking/frustration point, analyze your game and come up with something you can do to improve. Get a lesson, read a book, watch a video, talk with CCB's, or even take a "small" break from the game. Get something to make it fresh in your eyes again. For me its the mental state of mind. I am working so hard with my mental side in hopes that I will stay focused as to not blow easy shots that cost a match/game. Then I can play at the (A) level, instead of acting like I have never played the game of pool. Just my thoughts on Fed up.

&lt;--fed up with work..going home in 45 minutes.

silverbullet
12-12-2002, 04:35 PM
ya know tom, i know the frustration but some people want to learn by making their own mistakes. sometimes i wont listen to ww, even though he is a 7 and then i will try it later when he isnt looking heehee. is that ego or what? and often i wont listen to him anymore at all but i will listen to you or chris etc....

but even if i dont seem to be listening, i remember and later on decide to try what they said. i might have been in denial at the time, but later when my mind is more open i remember and try it out and low and behold what that tom guy was trying to tell me months ago is really true and works.

maybe it will happen that way for the 2 you talked to. some of us pick up a cue and have what i call 'splinter' skills. they can do a few tricks and it deludes them into thinking they know more than they do. i fell into that trap in the beginning which people here found hilarious.
my splinter skill was cheating the pocket and long shots. there is a lot i dont know but at least now my mind is opening and i am learning what to ask for help on, like shape.

starting to believe in myself really helped. not that i am great but that i can do and with hard work can become a good player sooner or later. this was my key. it sounds like this two feels inferior to all the players around that seems so good and is clinging to this little piece of rock like if she lets go she will sink.

gosh i felt like that in the beginning that i was so cruddy and everybody else was so good. i logged onto ccb in may and got right off. everybody here seemed so over my head it freaked me right out with all the jargon and all. it toook will aug for ww to talk me into trying it again.

well a long way to say i know how you are feeling frustrated and not listened to or validated and how she is feeling intimidated. just like me at first, she has to grow out of her ego and be humble and know she knows nothing and nobody can get another person to do this, it is their choice and their timing. so relax, brother, you did right but the universe is in charge.

blu