PDA

View Full Version : What makes a SHOTMAKER ?

bigbro6060
12-10-2002, 06:52 AM
what to you defines a shotmaker ?

Popcorn
12-10-2002, 07:25 AM
Willingness to pull the trigger. Most players when faced with a tough shot, mess with it so much they lose any sense of where they want to hit it. They second guess themselves.

Perk
12-10-2002, 09:22 AM
My definition of a shotmaker is two fold.

First, when someone is playing well, and elects to shoot and runout on a tuff shot, rather than safe, I feel they can be classified as a shot maker.

Second, a true shotmaker pulls off amazing shots time and time again comming off of bad rolls or safeties. How many times have ya watched someone make a shot and look around at everyone else's reaction?

<----not a shot maker,,,got to play whitey like a yo-yo to have a chance.

Fred Agnir
12-10-2002, 09:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigbro6060:</font><hr> what to you defines a shotmaker ?

<hr /></blockquote>
Making shots, I'd say.

Fred

cheesemouse
12-10-2002, 10:56 AM
No fear when Willy is free makes a shotmaker to me...LOL

silverbullet
12-10-2002, 01:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesemouse:</font><hr> No fear when Willy is free makes a shotmaker to me...LOL <hr /></blockquote>

Oh cm, you are sooo wrong...it is "man's search for meaning" /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

blu

phil in sofla
12-10-2002, 06:10 PM
My experience with the term is that it is a complimentary sounding, but actually negative assessment of a player's overall game.

That is, usually this is said as 'he/she is just (only) a shotmaker,' meaning they can't or won't play shape, and MUST come with difficult shots because of the way they leave themselves on their next ball.

But as a result, they get comfortable with a lot of shots many players might play safe on, and when they're on, they can be deadly to play against.

Now, sometimes this isn't what is meant at all when that is said, and the player plays good shape, smart patterns, AND happens to take and make hard shots routinely if they come up, as when the opponent leaves them that way. But the first version of using this term is more common in my experience.

How does one become a good shotmaker, hopefully in the second sense? Having a large arsenal of shots, and the fearlessness to go for them, and the skill to make them at a high percentage of success.

Chris Cass
12-11-2002, 12:44 AM
Tap, Tap, Tap.

C.C.

Fred Agnir
12-11-2002, 07:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote phil in sofla:</font><hr> My experience with the term is that it is a complimentary sounding, but actually negative assessment of a player's overall game.

That is, usually this is said as 'he/she is just (only) a shotmaker,' meaning they can't or won't play shape, and MUST come with difficult shots because of the way they leave themselves on their next ball.<hr /></blockquote>
'xactly.

Fred