PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with the "Pros"? (LP)

12-10-2002, 12:44 PM
So... what's the deal with the "pros"? I can't figure them out. Why won't they band together and try to form some sort of respectable organization? It seems to me they would rather stab each other in the back for a dollar today, even though it may come back and bite them later.

So what are the "pros"? They appear to me to be nothing more than a band of gypsies who travel around from town to town and gamble. And that's fine but let's call it what it is. I mean, what do you have to do to be a "pro"? Finish well in one tournament? Then you are a "pro"? for how long? Forever? Shouldn't there be some defined criteria to meet (annually?) to be able to call yourself a professional?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying these guys are no good, they will crush me on a pool table. I just think if there is ever going to be any significant prize money (which will only come from outside the industry) these "pros" are going to have to suck up their egos, band together and come up with some standards to present themselves as professionals. For instance, I think they should dress like professionals. I have seen some of these guys who look like bums off the street. At a minimum, they should wear slacks, (no jeans) collared shirt, (which is tucked in) no tennis shoes.

Just to give you an idea of how pathetic the prize money is in pool: While I was at the Glass City Open last month, I walked up to my room and caught a news flash on CNN. The highlight was about a guy who had just won a million bucks for being the "worlds fastest speed driller"!!!! He got a million for screwing 2 boards together with a cordless drill. Meanwhile... The best players in the country are downstairs and have been playing one of the most challenging games there is for 5 days, and for how much? 6,000. That is very disturbing to me and I think it should give us all an idea about where this game that we all love is today.

Chris - thinking the sport I love needs a miracle.

Cueless Joey
12-10-2002, 01:00 PM
Chris, sadly, this is what happens to hustlers. Hustlers don't trust anybody b/c you know why.
Then the Don Corleone Mackey/PBT fiasco. A ton of players did not want to hire Mackey but a few in cohoots with him got him up there anyway. He killed PBT, won a settlement and bought a new mansion.
Maybe we can dream of Bill Gates' partner buying Pro Billiards Tour like he bought PBA.
Jim Rempe might join the Bass Fishing Tour. Hell, they make a ton more money.

cheesemouse
12-10-2002, 10:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Chris - thinking the sport I love needs a miracle.<hr /></blockquote>

The miracle would be me winning the $100 million dollar lottery and then finding out I only have a few years to live and decide to throw the cash at 'pro pool', that may give them a good start but they would screw it up anyway.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif