PDA

View Full Version : How Come?

=k=
12-10-2002, 01:08 PM
How come when i make four of five shots and then luck one in, someone says good shot.. i always feel like saying, if i could only do that four out of five times. any good come backs? better than my lame thanks.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Professor
12-11-2002, 04:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote =k=:</font><hr> How come when i make four of five shots and then luck one in, someone says good shot.. i always feel like saying, if i could only do that four out of five times. any good come backs? better than my lame thanks.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif <hr /></blockquote>
=k=,

I don't know how good you would consider it, but what I say to railbirds and opponents when they make such comments is:
<font color="blue">"The more I practice the luckier I get."</font color>

I have said this for several decades, regardless of whether I intended to make the shot or not. It often leaves 'em wondering. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The comment was used in a cartoon in a regional pool publication several years ago after I had spent a some time around the editiors, although no credit was given but, none was needed nor expected.

Just keep hitting 'em and keep 'em wondering.

Chris Cass
12-11-2002, 05:58 AM
Hi =k=,

I have a half a dozen but my favorite is something my son said to me one day after he slopped the ball in. I didn't say one word and before I could he said, "Boy, That musta hurt." I wanted to kick his butt. It was really good.

Still laughing,

C.C.

12-11-2002, 01:33 PM
There are a couple sayings I've used around a pool table far too often, "Better to be lucky than good" when lucking a ball in, "kinda glad I missed" when shanking a shot but leaving a safe on the oppenent or when I completely messed up my shape and left no follow up shot, and when your oppenent messes up their leave or leaves you a wide open table - (you have to forgive the vulgarity, but fill in the blanks) "did it hurt?" usually gets a "huh?" response, "****ing yourself like that" - usually will only say that to friends though.

=k=
12-11-2002, 02:06 PM
i don't think i posted this question very well. i ment i make a 5 ball run then leave a tuff shot and make it, and get the nice shot comment.. when really all the nice shots were when i left myself the easy shots.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Icon of Sin
12-16-2002, 12:48 PM
OK, a five ball run is great, but heres the answer I think your gonna want.

ex. I run 5 balls and the 6 ball can only be made with a full table kick shot that comes out to be more luck then skill. People say nice shot to this because when you ran the other balls you left shape on them to make them relatively easy shots, but when you make somthing out of nothing on your sixth shot, people tend to take more notice, whether its luck or skill. Therefore people are sheep, when they see the ball go in they say good shot, without even thinking about the position you played on the next ball... although your run was the great feat here, people see this one shot as greater... just how it is, I for one say good shot when someone has a straight in shot but ends up playing a great position on a ball that was in a awkward shot, but a masse after a 5 ball run with no shape for the next ball is still pretty amazing too and also deserves a "good shot"

I think people notice these shots more because they are expecting you to miss it /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The Rhino Chaser
12-16-2002, 01:33 PM
If after slopping the ball in, I also get shape on the next ball. The thing I say and alot of other players I know say is, that was the only way I knew to get shape on that ball.

SPetty
12-16-2002, 03:42 PM
I also don't care much for it when someone says "Nice shot" after I do, in fact, pocket a (possibly difficult) ball, but don't get shape on the next one, and in fact, hide myself.

phil in sofla
12-16-2002, 08:33 PM
That's an old line from either Sam Snead or Ben Hogan, and probably old when one of them said it.

Rich R.
12-17-2002, 06:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> I also don't care much for it when someone says "Nice shot" after I do, in fact, pocket a (possibly difficult) ball, but don't get shape on the next one, and in fact, hide myself. <hr /></blockquote>
I wouldn't get too upset at that, SPetty, as long as it was a difficult shot. Sometimes, on difficult shots, you just have to make the ball and hope for the best on the shape. In that situation, just making the ball qualifies as a "good shot", regardless of the shape.