PDA

View Full Version : The Break on a Barbox

9 Ball Girl
12-10-2002, 03:33 PM
This might've been discussed before and I can't remember. Last night during league play, I swear the cueball must've been twice the size of the object ball! I've never played with one so big and heavy before. Anyway, everytime I broke, it made that loud satisfying break sound but hardly no movement. And I don't have a flimsy break either. Naz suggested I break from the right side with low right. I did and I made a ball but the CB stayed put in a cluster with others. Any ideas?

And if that wasn't bad enough, when I would get down on my shot, I saw more cue ball than object ball! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

bigbro6060
12-10-2002, 05:29 PM
Barboxes here in Aussieland are the opposite. The whitey is a tad smaller than the object balls. Have to be a bit conservative on the break to avoid a cueball flyer

Eric.
12-10-2002, 06:27 PM
Wendy,

It's possible that you were playing on an older barbox with the oversized/much heavier cue ball. It tends to give the harder break due to the extra weight. Also, you may have noticed that the Q follows more giving the impression of a "fast" table, as well as being harder to draw.

Eric

CarolNYC
12-11-2002, 03:43 AM
Okay, Whats up with the hula girl?ha ha haha-was that to get my attention ha ha ha(only kidding),
Wendy,
What game,8ball or nineball-are you checking the rack?
If 8 ball-second ball break from either side-if 9 ball-do not look at one ball-look at the thirdball diagonal to the one and aim to hit THAT ball and follow through(beginning,middle and end of break) or,you have a dud cueball-ask for another!
Carol

nAz
12-11-2002, 03:49 AM
What Wendy played on can just barely pass for a pool table. the CB was bigger AND heavier then the OBs and the Balls rolled from left to right then left again. i was getting sea sick watching. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

stickman
12-11-2002, 08:24 AM
Wendy, I had a league location like that. If a person likes to use draw more than follow, they're in for a bad night. I hated playing at this location! The players complained so much that the owner replaced all the balls with Red Dot cueballs. Fred Agnir had a post a few weeks ago where he expressed a dislike for the Red Dots, but they're a huge step up from the old mud balls. They also play some Sunday 9ball tournaments at this location, and they replace the Red Dots with Red Circles. We've tried to talk him into replacing the Red Dots with the Red Circles for league, but so far we've had no luck. I've heard him express the thought that most of the league players wouldn't know what to do with a Red Dot. There may be some truth to that, but I not sure I'd agree with the term most. I think that he doesn't want to have to deal with the lower skill level matches where there might be 3 or 4 scratches in a game. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Jim

9 Ball Girl
12-11-2002, 11:26 AM
Not only was it the worst, there were 2 sides of the table where you had a choice. Either you use the shorty stick or you had to either open the mens or ladies room doors or if you were shooting from the other side you had to open the door that led to the backyard. Hilarious!

9 Ball Girl
12-11-2002, 11:28 AM
There's a trendy Bar on 42nd Street called Barcode. They have high tech video games and the barboxes have the neonlighted rails. The cueball is smaller than the object balls. I couldn't pocket a ball unless I was 2 inches away! The guy there told me there from Europe. I even thought of playing in their Sunday night 8 ball tourney but after I got a taste of that teeny ball, I thought not!

9 Ball Girl
12-11-2002, 11:36 AM
I don't know how old the table there was but it was different than others in that it didn't have that little stow away slot for the rack. Also, one of my team mates put $1 in, but one of the balls didn't come out. The bar gave us another $1 to get the one ball out. The table didn't have a keyslot to open up the ball return area. Very strange. Anyway, yes, the cueball was very heavy and had a lot of speed when I hit it with follow. I didn't have a problem drawing it though.

9 Ball Girl
12-11-2002, 11:40 AM
Hey Carol! The hula girl is for now until I get my pic up this weekend. But, you can have her if you want her. I remember you have a Hawaiian background.

The game is 8 ball in this league and the break you describe is the break Naz told me to do. It worked. I did get a ball in (normally I'll get about 2 when the CB is smaller) but had I hit it harder I probably would've ended up with a better shot instead of being buried.

9 Ball Girl
12-11-2002, 11:43 AM
You know what was also funny about this spot? They had 2 TVs blasting with Jeopardy on it. Thank God both TVs were tuned to the same channel. Anyway, I was watching my team mate play and then he had ball in hand. While he was thinking of what to do, the Jeopardy song came on when they're writing down the answer to that last question. I was laughing to myself cause no one else noticed!

Wendy~~if Naz had shown up earlier, he would've noticed too!

Wally_in_Cincy
12-11-2002, 12:14 PM
I've only seen one like that (small cue ball). At the Dusty Old Mule in Merrillville IN. They had a stuffed mule head above the bar. I said "Who's that" They said "That's Dusty" /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif