PDA

View Full Version : GANDY BIG G OR BRUNSWICK , Need Comments,& info

z71pinkcadillac
12-10-2002, 07:08 PM
Son wants to learn pool, dad sets 800.00 budget for table, here we are now at this forum, 2,000 maybe ??
I have read pro's and cons of the Brunswick 1910 tables that I like to play on, at the local hall. As the antiques start at about 1500, Used older Gold crown seems out of range, with adding about 500 to set up to be playable & with new cloth.
For 2,000-I can get a commercial Big G, Black & Chrome,from a sellout of a pool hall,delivered,set up,new cloth, cushions covered, choice of color, (upgrade to simonis for 100.00), Belguim premier balls,4 duferin cues and racks etc.
Sounds like a good deal as in no way do I want to spend more, less would be better.
Anyone that could comment on the Quality of the Big G would be greatly appreciated, Will it hold up, stay playable, cushions ?, support structure ? cannot find any info elsewhere, Present and future value?
Greatly appreciate any info. or comment, or should I wait to try and go after a Brunswick "deal", with Centenial balls.

Cueless Joey
12-10-2002, 07:18 PM
I've played on both. GC I or II are much better imo. Big G's cushions are faaaast due to it's profile I think.
Used GC I can be had for about 2000 here in Calif.
I'd suggest saving money and get the GC. Then again some people like the older G's. I knew a pool hall here who got some around early 90's. They warped.

John in NH
12-10-2002, 08:02 PM
Gandy vs Brunswick not much difference in the older models both will give a lifetime of enjoyment if taken care. You should expect the cushions on the Gandy to be super fast if they are in good condition. I've been playing on a Gandy table for several years without any complaints.

Don't hesitate to buy the Gandy if it is in good condition.

Regards,

John

Popcorn
12-11-2002, 09:17 AM
I would go with the Brunswick. The big G was actually a cheap table but good for the money. A lot of new pool rooms opened with them just because of the price. Most players hated them.

AustinFilAm
12-11-2002, 03:37 PM
Get the GC!!
You'll enjoy it more. Chances are the PH you frequent also have GCs. Someday if you want to get rid of it, it well sell fast. You should get most or all of your investment back.

I got one and I'm glad I did.

Angelo

12-11-2002, 03:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote AustinFilAm:</font><hr> Get the GC!!
You'll enjoy it more. Chances are the PH you frequent also have GCs. Someday if you want to get rid of it, it well sell fast. You should get most or all of your investment back.

I got one and I'm glad I did.

Angelo <hr /></blockquote>

absolutely agree but there is one nice benefit you get with a gandy. when you shoot a shot and hang the ball on the lip you simply nudge the table with your hip and you can make the ball go in. of course, there is also the benefit that after you rack and ther other guy inspects it and deems it to be tight you can just slightly lean against the table and, presto! slug rack. it's great if you know how to use it. of course, you can do the same thing with a crown but instead of your hip, you have to use a buick.

dan

Jimmy Mendoza
12-11-2002, 04:54 PM
It isn't even worth the comparison. Gandy isn't worth mentioning in the same breath with the Brunswick. You can find a used Brunswick G.C. (2 or 3) somewhere in the vicinity of $1000 (pretty good deal) to $2000. I don't know what cost is in other parts of the country, but that is about the price range I hear people talking about here in Phoenix. If the choice is between Gandy or nothing, then the Gandy will probably do /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

SpiderMan
12-11-2002, 05:40 PM
Maybe it's because of less name recognition, but you can get a nice Gandy for less than a comparable Brunswick. One of my teammates built a house with a gameroom, and we found a like-new Gandy Sportsman (retail over $5000) for $600. It cost him about $300 to have it moved into his second-story gameroom and recovered.

SpiderMan

caedos
12-11-2002, 11:03 PM
I have a Gandy Big G at my house. Don't get one. Is it a good table? Yes, absolutely. However -- Gold Crowns are better on the cushion profile, the leg levelers, the countersunk pocket screws, and in general construction. If my pocket nails on the Big G aren't tapped in solid or they come loose at all, it can take a chunk out of a ball entering that pocket. Until I upgrade my table I will only use the $30 garden variety ball sets available at Academy and Wally World.

My HSO

Oz

Fred Agnir
12-12-2002, 08:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote caedos:</font><hr> I have a Gandy Big G at my house. Don't get one. Is it a good table? Yes, absolutely. However -- Gold Crowns are better on the cushion profile, the leg levelers, the countersunk pocket screws...<hr /></blockquote>
And the metal corners that rip your pants, the raised black pockets that mar the stick, the ashtrays and counters in the rails, the balls dropping out of the return rails, the slanted rails, the way-too-big pockets, the commercial-modified pocket shelves, the... oh wait, that's the Gold Crowns I'm talking about.

There seems to be two runs of Gandy Big G tables. The older ones were very good tables. The were probably the best all-around table that could fit anywhere (home or commercial). The newer Big G tables don't seem to be as solid as the older ones. I'm guessing the production quality simply has slipped due to cost measures.

Fred &lt;~~~ not a huge Gold Crown fan

AndyG
12-13-2002, 01:14 PM
A good solution for the nails chipping the balls is to install the pockets with Velcro. A 3' strip on the back of the pocket, and the matching strip on the inside of the casting works great.

All the pockets in my 12 9' tables have been done with Velcro for years. (Including Gold Crowns).

Regards,
Andy G.

phil in sofla
12-13-2002, 06:25 PM
I have to agree with you. For some reason, maybe weight or other construction methods, Gandys tend to move when you lean on the rail to shoot, and I've seen EVERY ball on the table 'rock' slightly back and forth when I've leaned on the table to stretch out for a shot.

While they didn't actually seem to move anywhere, if balls were frozen to one another or on the rail, it seems they might be changed after that little jog movement.