PDA

View Full Version : Defining a "Stroke"

randyg
12-11-2002, 10:31 AM
Fellow Posters: It was exciting to see all of the intellegent posts on the stroke. Thank you. So as promised:

In Pool School, we like to define a "good" stroke as an efficient "transfer of energy". Really, in pool, all we're trying to do is transfer energy from a piece of wood to a phenolic sphere. So a very fair question is; How do you move your cue?

Many players seem to be confused with styles. While many of our styles may differ, the same Laws of Physics applies to all of us, from the greatest to the beginner.

To deliver a "good" stroke, one must do three things:

1. Accelerate the cue forward,
2. in a straight line,
3. and consistantly strike a pre-determined point on the
cueball.
This is optimumly achieved by using just one muscle in the forward stroke and one muscle only, the Bicep.

Now that's easier said than done. If your STANCE, GRIP or BRIDGE hinder any of the above, you are probably losing efficiency. It's probably time for a slight tune-up/lesson.

The first thing that we do in class is a videotape analysis of our students personal stroke deliverly. Then, together, the student and instructor will start searching for any/all of the "FIVE COMMON CUEING ERRORS", that literaly will rob our stroke of maximun efficiency and ultimately....consistant performance.

Notice, I carefully did not address the "Back Stroke" nor the "Follow Thru". Both are key components of a perfect stroke. The "FIVE COMMON CUEING ERRORS", well that's another post.

Happy Holidays to all.....randyg

Chris Cass
12-11-2002, 10:50 AM
Hi Randy,

That was great and a great holiday gift for the CCB. I don't think it could be put any better and will be looking forward to hearing more in the future.

Thank and also happy holidays to you and your too,

C.C.

Bob_in_Cincy
12-11-2002, 11:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi Randy,

That was great and a great holiday gift for the CCB. I don't think it could be put any better and will be looking forward to hearing more in the future.

Thank and also happy holidays to you and your too,

C.C. <hr /></blockquote>

his too what ??

Bob_in_Cincy &lt;runnin' &amp; duckin' &gt;

I agree, though. Great post.

dave
12-11-2002, 01:10 PM
I have a question for you Randy. Let me preface by saying that I have worked on my stroke mechanics with both Jerry Bresieth and Mark Wilson (both fine instructors) and I know the "correct" way to do it. I have studied the individual components of my stroke mechanics for years. I believe that it is necessary to remove any unnecessary variables/movement in your stroke mechanics in order to achieve the maximum consistency. Most everyone advocates a slow backswing, then the pause, then the follow through. The follow through is often at a different speed than the back swing depending on the speed of the shot required for position. I understand that the slow back swing is designed to prevent any unnecessary change in your alignment or tip placement after you've aimed. My question / theory is that the differing speeds of the back swing and follow through may be an unnecessary variable. Perhaps the back swing and the follow through should be at the same or speed. Most would argue that a fast back swing would encourage a jerky movement that would through off that alignment. On the other hand, too slow a back swing might cause some wavering of the elbow. What do you think of the idea of keeping the speed of both the same in order to achieve the minimum number of variables?

silverbullet
12-11-2002, 01:22 PM
Great post Randy. I reckon some more people are gonna wanna take your pool school.

blu

randyg
12-11-2002, 02:54 PM
DAVE: I'm impressed with your tutalage. Not many players would take the time to study under two such notables that you have. On the other hand, I feel that you are testing me, maybe a little. You talk about the "Backstroke" as if Jerry or Mark never taught it. I know better. So here we go again.

The "Backstroke" has little or nothing to do with the forward stroke. This is not our Pool School Theory but a Law Of Physics.

1. An object in motion wants to stay in motion.

2. An object moving in one direction that now wants to move 180 degrees in the opposite direction has to STOP before it can change directions.

3. We should move the cue back with the TRICEPS and forward with the BICEPS. That's two completely different directions. Two completely different muscle groups.

4. The only reason we have to make a Backstroke is to give the cue room to accelerate forward. This acceleration process starts from 0 MPH, not 30 MPH going backwards. Dragsters don't put their machines in reverse to go forward faster.

5. A smooth BACKSTROKE with a controled stop (PAUSE) at the end will allow the arm to accelerate forward at any speed the brain has pre-determined.

It is impossible not to PAUSE at the end of our BACKSTROKE (That's Physics). Most good cueists understand that and purposely PAUSE under control allowing the BICEPS to take complete control from the TRICEPS. In doing this they are then able to obtain the three things that I wrote in my "Stroke" post.

Hope this is clear......Merry Christmas.randyg

dave
12-11-2002, 06:18 PM
Thanks for taking the time to reply, Randy. That was a very well written response. I have spoken with friends who have worked with you and they rate your instruction up there with the very best of them and everything I've ever seen you post supports that.