PDA

View Full Version : Best material on 2, 3, 4 (and 5) rail shots?

preacherman
12-11-2002, 05:36 PM
Could someone tell me the best material out there for learning 2, 3,4 (and 5 rail shots). I have tried the Diamond System (somewhat successfully) though if I don't use it for awhile I forget it (not really fond of that system). Input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

Leviathan
12-11-2002, 06:03 PM
Upscale One-Pocket, by Jack H. Koehler, contains a lot of good material on this subject. Great book, even for those who don't play one-pocket--full of info that should be useful to anyone who plays pool. D.M.

Ross
12-11-2002, 06:16 PM
Check out "Win at Pocket Billiards" by Desmond Allen. It is entirely devoted to 1, 2, and 3-rail kicking systems. It was originally published under the more descriptive title "one Rail, Two Rails, Three Rails and More." It is a bit vague and imprecise at times but it does have a few interesting systems outlined.

Also Walter Harris has published a series of books titled "A Billiard Atlas on Systems and Techniques." These books have detailed information on an endless variety of multi-rail systems used by billiards players. But if you find the corner-5 diamond system difficult to remember, you will be overwhelmed by the amount of information in Harris's books. Only the most dedicated billiards player could hope to learn and remember even a fraction of these.

Personally, I only use the corner-5 and a two rail system that I don't remember the name of. It is used for 2 rail kicks when the cb and ob are close to the same long rail but on the opposite sides of the side pocket and you have to kick hitting the short rail first. I think it may be called the "minus-2 system" or some such thing.

phil in sofla
12-13-2002, 06:13 PM
Ross, Desmond's book would be great if it was true. But it seems that it is highly specific to the man's stroke or his equipment, because many have complained, and it was also my experience, that doing what he says doesn't get you CLOSE to the hit sometimes. Some of it probably does work, but so much of it doesn't that it is hard to recommend it.

I'd say Tom Rossman's (Dr. Cue) tapes in the Monk series (he just won the title for artistic pool this year, after several runner up performances, usually to Massey) are about as good as it gets.

Grady Matthews (the Professor) tapes, The Finer Points of Pool and Just Kicks, have good material.

Same with some of the Don Feeny (the Preacher) tapes in the Burt Kinnister series.

Jimmy Reid has some good material, but I can't remember if it was in the Art of 8 ball, or in his No Time for Negative series.

And Eddie Parker's Complete Guide to Playing Billiards (something like that) deals with the subject well.

You're right that the Complete Atlas to Billiard Systems is overwhelming, but if you got nothing more out of it than the SID system (at the end of Vol. 1), that is well worth the money. That's a hyperaccurate one-rail kick system to make any ball on the long rail from anywhere, one rail, and boy, does it work great.