PDA

View Full Version : Playing One Handed Good For Your Game?

TomBrooklyn
03-10-2002, 05:23 PM
I spent about an hour playing one handed last night. When I went back to using my bridge hand, it seemed a lot easier to pot balls... not just easier than using one hand obviously; but easier than before I played one handed. Somehow my left and right hands seemed to be working better together, more isolated from each other but better complimenting each other.

Has anyone had a similar or different result after practicing one-handed? Does anyone do that as a legitimate practice routine?

Doctor_D
03-10-2002, 05:44 PM
Good evening:

Centuries ago, when I was learning to play golf, my instructor would have me hit balls with a 5 iron with one hand and then the other. He said that if your swing is fluid with either hand and arm individually then your swing using both arms would prove much more productive.

Dr. D.

Alfie
03-10-2002, 06:02 PM
"I spent about an hour playing one handed last night. When I went back to using my bridge hand, it seemed a lot easier to pot balls... not just easier than using one hand obviously; but easier than before I played one handed. Somehow my left and right hands seemed to be working better together, more isolated from each other but better complimenting each other."

It could be because it put you in a paying attention and concentrating mode.

Rod
03-10-2002, 06:44 PM
Tom, I've played and practiced one handed. One thing I noticed playing jacked up, no rail, is that the arm and grip has to flow togerther, for lack of better words. In other words you do have a stroke to a large degree and it doesn't look like a jab at the ball. I never thought about how playing one handed would effect me or anyone else.
To answer the question though, I think we probably take the stroke and support from the bridge for granted. In other words we can be a little careless and get away with certain things. When you play one handed you realize that more control is needed, and I think the tendency is to play more within yourself. Then when you go back to two handed it probably carries over. Thats my evaluation. $20 please.

Just kidding, sort of like we can over correct one direction or the other to find a place in the middle.
An example would be to spend some time playing with a 3" and no more than 4" bridge for all shots. It's not very comfortable at first. If you can do this for 1 hour immediately you will have a short bridge when you go back to regular play. I have people with a long bridge do this for 10 or 15 minutes everytime they play, and their bridge gets short without me ever asking. Sorry for the long answer, but I feel there is a comparison.

As a foot note you won't end up with a 4" bridge, but playing with a 6" or 8" bridge is comfortable, and more accurate especially when you use side english.

Rod
03-10-2002, 07:04 PM
Dr D, did you play with the feathery, and whack it with your flanged niblick? Indeed you must be good buy now.
Just kidding, but I believe what you said about golf. I use to swing a lot, one handed with my left hand and some with my right. The results was more distance and accuracy.
Now I'm not sure I'd want that approach for pool, might end up with a 2 peices of small firewood.

TonyM
03-11-2002, 01:22 AM
You may or may not know this, but Jerry Briesath actually uses one handed play as part of his instructional method. So you are not crazy!

I use it as well. For one thing, it teaches the importance of a smooth straight delivery with the back arm only. The other thing it does it teach good timing. You cannot jab at the ball one handed and hope to pocket anything!

And lastly, it teaches the importance of getting the cue on the correct line first. A good way to play many shots is to lay the cue down as though you were going to play the shot one handed, and then add the bridge hand for additional guidance.

I have a friend who is a very fine player. He actually is a more effective 8 ball player one handed than two handed! And the reason is simple. With two hands he often tries to do too much with the cueball (sometimes to look flashy, he has a monster stroke!). One handed forces him to simplify the game and play the shots with natural shape.

A good lesson for all!

Tony
-I also like practicing left handed (I'm right handed) and playing entire racks with nothing but the rest.

Vagabond
03-11-2002, 01:32 AM
Hello Mates,
As a practice routine I do drills with One hand and also LEFT hand.I want to look like an idiot( to the observers)missing the easiest shots playing with my left hand.
Vagabond

Chris Cass
03-11-2002, 02:09 AM
Vagabond,
I agree with you. If it's good enough in the shower it's good enough for pool. No, forget I said that. I meant, if you think about it. You only shoot with one hand anyway. The other just holds the cue.
That's what I meant,
C.C.