PDA

View Full Version : Movie reviews

Wally_in_Cincy
12-12-2002, 07:18 AM
"Joe Dirt" 1 1/2 stars:

This movie is lame. Dennis Miller is borderline funny in a couple scenes. David Spade is usually funny as hell but this flick wastes his talent.
.................................................. ......

"Office Space" 4 stars

We watched this again during our Thanksgiving trip and it was funnier the second time. If you have ever worked in a cubicle or had a stupid boss or been thru a downsizing you have to see this. It wasn't big in the theatres but has become a cult classic among the comedy movie cognescenti.
.................................................. ........

Care to share your favorites or the ones to avoid? I'm always looking for ideas.

Mr Ingrate
12-12-2002, 11:37 AM
"The Party" starring Peter Sellers.

Fred Agnir
12-12-2002, 11:56 AM
I just watched finally:

Pulp Fiction - like viewing some Impressionist Art, this movie is a masterpiece. The timeline is completely scrambled, with almost every scene ending in an ironic "saving." Of course if drugs, violence, foul language, and rape are simply too much of a turn-off, don't bother. Travolta and Jackson are tremendous. Harvey Keitel is typecast as the "cleaner" a la the Americanized La Femme Nikita, "Point of No Return."

Monster's Ball - I was already a big Halle Berry fan. I'm not sure where I am now... sometimes, the hottest women need to keep their clothes on. But... I guess I didn't mind it too bad /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif If this movie had been done by Quentin Taurantino (like Pulp Fiction), this too would be a masterpiece. Simple and brutal, this movie takes dead aim at rural America's bigotry and dysfunction, and adds a little bit of TNT. Billy Bob Thornton was fantastically believable, again.

Fred

Wally_in_Cincy
12-12-2002, 11:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Mr Ingrate:</font><hr> "The Party" starring Peter Sellers. <hr /></blockquote>

The Party (1968)
Starring: Peter Sellers, Claudine Longet
Director: Blake Edwards
Synopsis: After accidentally destroying film set, clumsy Indian actor inadvertently wreaks havoc on Hollywood party. Hilarious sight gags, wild slapstick antics, Sellers' engaging performance amply entertain comedy buffs seeking lighthearted romp.
Runtime: 99 minutes
MPAA Rating: Not Rated
Genre: Comedy

I love Peter Sellers. I'll check it out.

BTW I hear Claudine Longet <font color="red"> killed </font color>in this movie. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

silverbullet
12-12-2002, 12:12 PM
fred,
pulp fiction sounds kinda kool. what kind a rape are you talking about.without getting graphic,there are certain types i like to watch, some i dont, drugs are okay and what else was it. is it real psychedelic with great colors etc....can you tell who are the main characters or is it all mixed up like a bad acid trip?

blu

silverbullet
12-12-2002, 12:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Mr Ingrate:</font><hr> "The Party" starring Peter Sellers. <hr /></blockquote>

more mmore. whats it about? why did you like it?

blu

TomBrooklyn
12-12-2002, 12:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> "Joe Dirt" <hr /></blockquote>Tom sez:
David Spade is the quintessential sad sack who can't help but get abused. In Joe Dirt, he provide another solid performance and proves that nice guys can finish first. Dirt is not side splitting all the time, but most of the jokes are solid and keep coming. This movie never slows down. 2 1/2 stars. (out of four)

eg8r
12-12-2002, 12:59 PM
My all time favorite movie is Ferris Buellers Day Off. I cannot count how many times I have seen the movie but it was a hit when I was younger and I have always like it. 4 stars out of 4

My second fav movie is....Dumb and Dumber. I think this is the only movie that i have been able to laugh from beginning to end. Most comedies have a slow middle where they try to put in a plot. Well Dumb and Dumber does not waste your time with that. It is hilarious. 10 stars out 4 /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r &lt;~~~I also think the Pauly Shore movies were funny but most people do not agree so I did not put them on here /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

12-12-2002, 01:02 PM
Hmm... well, let's just say if there's a good and bad kind, I think the type referred to would probably fall under bad.
It's a violent movie about the relationships between a crime boss, his henchmen, and a few other characters, including a boxer who's running from the bad guys because he didn't throw a fight he was supposed to.
It can be hard to follow as the chronological order is jumbled up, but if you pay attention, it makes sense.
Good movie, and it has moments of rather brilliant dark humor. Harvey Keitel's performance is certainly a high point in the movie. It's bizarre, but not what I'd call psychedelic in the traditional sense. Has some drugs, including a graphic depiction of an OD. Did I mention it was violent?

eg8r
12-12-2002, 01:04 PM
Have you ever seen Deliverance? That is the type of rape.

And my favorite line. "Who's chopper is this?"..."Zeds."..."Who is Zed?"..."Zed is dead." LOL

Great movie, but you don't want to ever remember the rape part. That is gross and Zed got what was coming to him. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r &lt;~~~~Resevoir Dogs is also another great Tarantino flick

Perk
12-12-2002, 01:12 PM
Let me go out on a limb and make this somewhat pool related...I still enjoy "The Color of Money"....Heck, if I would have had a boy, I might have named him Vinnie...Of course I never thought about a boy named Vincent with blonde hair...

"Its like a nightmare!"

12-12-2002, 02:40 PM
First one is good with the New Year coming up, if you can find it.

Get Crazy
One of my favorites, though I haven't seen it in a long time.
It's a rock &amp; roll spoof about a theatre owner putting on an anniversary/New Year concert. Made in the early 80's, it's got plenty of non-PC humor, and sex/drugs/rock and roll gags (but nothing that I would consider excessive).
If you like rock and roll, and some good light humor, check it out.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
silverbullet mentioned bad acid trips. If there were just one movie to fall under that moniker, this would be it. Johnny Depp is excellent in his portrayal of Hunter Thompson (not that I'd really know the difference) and Benicio Del Toro plays his "Lawyer" in fine fashion. The film is brilliantly directed by Terry Gilliam of Monty Python fame, and he infuses that extra bit of almost trademarked psychedelia.

The movie is about a sports writer who is sent to Las Vegas, along with his friend/"lawyer", to cover a couple of events and their ensuing, often self-induced adventures. The monologues are a woven tapestry that are numbing and electrifying all at once, while the situations and dialogue run the gamut from hilarious to foreboding. To say that there is drug use in this movie is putting it mildly, it borders on insanity, but as the lead character states, "we're professionals".

Disturbing yet intriguing; parts seem hauntingly familiar for some reason. While not for everybody, I highly recommend it.

12-12-2002, 02:42 PM
You've got that right! Just watched it again the other night, though I'm afraid my copy is wearing out.
Chris&lt;--- Still living in a VHS world

Perk
12-12-2002, 02:44 PM
&lt;--got the DVD of "The Hustler",,,waiting to slip "The Color of Money" DVD past the g/f!!!

I prob will get "Pool Hall Junkies" if it ever gets here!

12-12-2002, 02:58 PM
I really want to check out The Hustler DVD!
Does the DVD of The Color of Money have extra footage and stuff too?

HOWARD
12-12-2002, 03:08 PM
Wally,

How is the hunt for perfect marty going?

In any case here are a few of my favorites.

Casablanca, Maltese Falcon, African Queen, The Hustler, The Sting, Tinker, Taylor, Soldier, Spy (PBS program made in England). The first Indiana Jones, Star Wars all, The Michael Douglas, Danny deVito movie taking place in Columbia-its name the lady star escape my mind - and many others I have not thought of yet.
Best regards,

Howard

James B
12-12-2002, 03:40 PM
Let it Ride; Being There; Catch 22; The World According to Garp; Blade Runner; Forest Gump; The Good the Bad &amp; the Ugly; Blue Velvet; there's more but I gotta go.

nAz
12-12-2002, 03:45 PM
The Hustler
Bullet
Citizen cane
alien
exorcist
starwars
buckaroo bonsai

9 Ball Girl
12-12-2002, 04:46 PM
Wally, my all time favorite is The Warriors.

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/19/WARRIORP.JPG

Tom_In_Cincy
12-12-2002, 05:43 PM
I cry every time I see this...

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/81/048_PFD504.jpg

Rod
12-13-2002, 12:06 AM
Well for this time of year I always like, Alastair Sim, in the 1951 production of A Christmas Carol, also known simply as Scrooge. This one is a classic.

Wally_in_Cincy
12-13-2002, 07:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Well for this time of year I always like, Alastair Sim, in the 1951 production of A Christmas Carol, also known simply as Scrooge. This one is a classic. <hr /></blockquote>

Lots of good Christmas movies
Scrooged w/ Bill Murray, especially the beginning. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Lethal Weapon /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Die Hard /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The funniest is "A Christmas Story" with (I think) Darren McGavin. It'll be on TNT about 12 times this month.

Wally_in_Cincy
12-13-2002, 07:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Wally, my all time favorite is The Warriors.
<hr /></blockquote>

Yeah that was cool. That dark-haired chick from "Too Close For Comfort" was in that. BTW what ever happened Jm. J. Bullock (gay Munroe) /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Fred Agnir
12-13-2002, 08:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> ...And my favorite line. "Who's chopper is this?"..."Zeds."..."Who is Zed?"..."Zed is dead." LOL
<hr /></blockquote>
"You hear that, hillbilly. I'm gonna get medieval on your ass."

The line was in most trailers, but it made better music in the context in which it was said.

Fred

Kato
12-13-2002, 09:07 AM
Rented Tomcats last night. I laughed so hard I thought I was going to rupture my spleen.

Kato

Fred Agnir
12-13-2002, 11:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>It wasn't big in the theatres but has become a cult classic among the comedy movie cognescenti.
<hr /></blockquote>
What makes a good movie? If a movie is showing, and I"m a flipping the channels
and somehow find it, and I plop my butt down to watch the rest of it even if
it's well into the movie, then there must have been something about it that
made it great for me.

That being said, I'll add:

Coming to America
Godfather I and II
The Professional
The Outlaw Josey Wales

And for movies that might not be coming to TV/Cable any time soon, but can be rented:

The Crying Game
The Highlander
Blade Runner
Heavy Metal
A Clockwork Orange
Sniper
Unforgiven

Fred

Kato
12-13-2002, 12:00 PM
I thought Sniper was a cool flick as well.

The Usual Suspects
Die Hard
The Shining
The Blues Brothers
Trading Places
Murder By Death
Black Sheep
Top Gun
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective

Kato~~~there's more, I've bored you enough

Fred Agnir
12-13-2002, 12:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Murder By Death<hr /></blockquote>

Snuck in another Peter Sellers movie, eh?

Fred &lt;~~~ thought "Being There" was the original "Rain Man"

Kato
12-13-2002, 12:02 PM
You gotta admit Fred, it was a good one.

Kato

TomBrooklyn
12-13-2002, 12:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr>My all time favorite is The Warriors.<hr /></blockquote>Wow! Breaking the mold. lol /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

silverbullet
12-13-2002, 02:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> Have you ever seen Deliverance? That is the type of rape.

And my favorite line. "Who's chopper is this?"..."Zeds."..."Who is Zed?"..."Zed is dead." LOL

Great movie, but you don't want to ever remember the rape part. That is gross and Zed got what was coming to him. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r &lt;~~~~Resevoir Dogs is also another great Tarantino flick <hr /></blockquote>

wow. sounds good. same kind of rape in 'shawshank redemption' and another movie with brad pitt. cant remmember name but kids were sent off for menial crimes to boys home and raped repeatedly for years. different twist, their lives were destroyed. punishment exceeded crime.

blu

Barbara
12-13-2002, 04:40 PM
Okay, here goes :

The Natural
Hoosiers
The Philadelphia Story (just to hear that ole' "Main Line Lockjaw" once again)
Caddyshack (the first one)
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Blazing Saddles (uncut version, please)
Young Frankenstein
Working Girl
The Big Chill (greeeeeeaaaaat music - got the soundtrack)

I know I've left off a few, I'm having a brain-fart kind of day.

Barbara~~~up since 4 am.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

SpiderMan
12-13-2002, 04:54 PM
I agree "Pulp Fiction" was a work of art, but if you haven't done so go out and rent "Reservoir Dogs". It's pure, raw, Tarantino, the film that put him on the map. Several of us from work went downtown to see it when it was released back in the early '90s (it only showed at one theater in town), and we talked about it for days. It's violent, profane, and funny at the same time. Plus, it has a great soundtrack.

Sometimes I think Tarantino wrote all these screenplays so he could act in them. In "Reservoir Dogs", his character is killed off shortly after the opening. In "Sleep With Me", he has about the same amount of on-screen time. By the time "Dusk 'Til Dawn" and "Pulp Fiction" came out, he was giving himself a good bit of camera time.

SpiderMan

Chris Cass
12-13-2002, 05:04 PM
Kind of like Steven King. I look for him now. hahhaha

Regards,

C.C.

TomBrooklyn
12-13-2002, 06:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>Pulp Fiction - like viewing some Impressionist Art, this movie is a masterpiece. The timeline is completely scrambled<hr /></blockquote>I can't fairly review this movie, because every time I tried to watch it I fell asleep. I can agree with the scrambled part. Although I saw the beginning four times, I was unable to formulate an idea of where the movie was trying to go. I'm sure I'll eventually get to see it again sometime; and if I'm not sleepy, maybe I'll be able to get through the whole thing.

Leviathan
12-13-2002, 08:53 PM
Some of my favorites:

Room with a View (Maggie Smith, Rosemary Leach, Helena Bonham Carter, Daniel Day-Lewis, Judi Dench, Denholm Elliott)

The Mackintosh Man (Paul Newman, Dominique Sanda, James Mason, Ian Bannen)

Key Largo (Humphrey Bogart, Lauren Bacall, Edward G. Robinson, Claire Trevor)

Bullitt (Steve McQueen, the lovely and talented what's-her-name, Robert Vaughn, Simon Oakland)

The Border (Jack Nicholson, Harvey Keitel, Valerie Perrine, Warren Oates)

The Day of the Jackal (original version!)

--D.M.

Wally_in_Cincy
12-14-2002, 12:03 PM
Leviathan mentioned Warren Oates. Reminded me of one-time favorite movie "Stripes"....

"How about I take this big toe and stick it up your a$$" /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

or "Call me Frances and I'll kill ya' "

Another macho guy William Holden was in a cool movie called "The Earthling" set in the Australian outback. Bill Holden was banging Stephanie Powers and died when he got drunk and fell and hit his head. Man, what a guy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
.................................................. ..........

and the classic To Kill a Mockingbird.

"It's okay Boo, you can pet him" /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif
.................................................. ......
Oklahoma

"I'm just a girl who cain't say no" My kind of girl /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
.................................................. .....
Blazing Saddles

In today's PC world, could this movie be made? Think about it.

CarolNYC
12-15-2002, 04:27 AM
WINDTALKERS-Nicholas Cage-they never broke the Navajo code!
CON-AIR- Nicholas Cage-he convicts are being transported,take over the plane-(I do not remember the actors name),but they're all singing"Sweet Home Alabama" and he says"DEFINE IRONY- people on a plane singing a song by a group killed in a plane crash!"
ARMAGEDDON
FULL METAL JACKET
PLATOON
Carol~the silliest-eight legged freaks!"

Voodoo Daddy
12-15-2002, 04:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr>Bullitt (Steve McQueen, the lovely and talented what's-her-name, Robert Vaughn, Simon Oakland) <hr /></blockquote>

Jaqualine {SP} Bisset...she still is a good looker...yummmmmmy! I have been watching that movie for decades and never get tired of that Mustang /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif and the Charger /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif goin' at it in San Fran!!!

Leviathan
12-15-2002, 06:25 AM
And speaking of Warren Oates, how about In the Heat of the Night, with Sidney Poitier, Rod Steiger, and Warren Oates? Great acting and direction! --D.M.

Voodoo Daddy
12-15-2002, 06:58 AM
Bad Lutienent starring Harvey Kietel is classic...so is The Pope of Greenwich Village with Mickey Rourke. Another good veiw is a documentary called "Hells Angels Forever"...pretty intense stuff. Saying that I will give the Voodoo all-time top 10:

1]GodFather Trilogy
2]Blues Brothers
3]Hollywood Knights {with a very young Michelle Pfiffer}
4]The Grifters
5]The Commitments
6]Chuckie Movies... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif HAHAHAHAHA
7]Anything Clint Eastwood
8]Goodfella's
9]A Bronx Tale
10]Usual Suspects.

Top Ten I hate, wont watch and will hit the clicker the second they are on:
1]Footloose
2]Anything Woody Allen
3]Any Star Wars
4]Anything Will Smith
5]Anything David Spade
6]EVERYTHING Adam Sandler
7]Any Friday the 13th
8]Heat
9]EVERYTHING Pee Wee Herman
10]Bond movies after Sean Connery

CarolNYC
12-16-2002, 04:32 AM
Steve,
I attended the premier of"HA forever" invite only!-all steets were blocked off-then you heard this rumble coming down the block-Oh my goodness-it was awesome-you know WHO was coming-ALL-I'll show you pictures when you come up!
Forgot two goodmovies too!
BILLYJACK-"I JUST GO BERSERK!"
'WALKING TALL"-carried BIG stick:)
Carol~misses Steve!:):):):)

Fred Agnir
12-16-2002, 08:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr>
Jaqualine {SP} Bisset...she still is a good looker...yummmmmmy! <hr /></blockquote>
The first movie I recall seeing her was one where she had a "mile high" scene. Very good acting.

Fred &lt;~~~ HTH

Fred Agnir
12-16-2002, 08:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr>
Helena Bonham Carter...<hr /></blockquote>
Call me a sappy romantic, but I like several HBC movies. Lady Jane, the aforementioned Room with a View, and most recently, Fight Club.

[ QUOTE ]
Paul Newman...<hr /></blockquote>
It's very tough for me to pass up Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, especially the initial card scene, and the knife fight scene.

[ QUOTE ]
Steve McQueen...<hr /></blockquote>

Magnificent Seven, Cincinatti Kid... awesome.

But my favorite McQueen Movie is: The Hunter where McQueen plays a modern-day bounty hunter, Ralph "Papa" Thornton.

Fred