PDA

View Full Version : What will be your POOL NEW YEAR RESOLUTIONS ?

bigbro6060
12-12-2002, 06:18 PM
Ok here's mine

1) to concentrate and play every single shot i take as if it was the most important shot of my life. When playing with friends who don't play pool seriously, or playing a social game in a noisy pub when i didn't really go out to play pool but got drawn to the pool table, i often just muck around too much, don't concentrate at all and play like a total hack. I'm not doing myself justice so in 2004 if i take a shot on a pool table, i promise myself to give my all to that shot. If i'm not really into playing pool (e.g. i'm at a pub having a crack at some chicks), then i will stay totally away from the Pool table.

2) Work on areas which i don't really like practising. These include Kicking and Safeties

3) get ready for the State selection trials which start end of April. Will be the first year i will enter. Doing it mainly for the experience

4) Think of a cool pool nickname for myself /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

griffith_d
12-12-2002, 09:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigbro6060:</font><hr> Ok here's mine

1) to concentrate and play every single shot i take as if it was the most important shot of my life. When playing with friends who don't play pool seriously, or playing a social game in a noisy pub when i didn't really go out to play pool but got drawn to the pool table, i often just muck around too much, don't concentrate at all and play like a total hack. I'm not doing myself justice so in 2004 if i take a shot on a pool table, i promise myself to give my all to that shot. If i'm not really into playing pool (e.g. i'm at a pub having a crack at some chicks), then i will stay totally away from the Pool table.

2) Work on areas which i don't really like practising. These include Kicking and Safeties

3) get ready for the State selection trials which start end of April. Will be the first year i will enter. Doing it mainly for the experience

4) Think of a cool pool nickname for myself /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif <hr /></blockquote>

To play everyday on my new Connelly table when it comes in and then win more tournaments after I get better.

Griff

Karatemom
12-12-2002, 11:27 PM
1. Practice
2. Practice
3. Practice
4. Do well at the Nationals

Heide

phil in sofla
12-12-2002, 11:27 PM
I've dropped league play on Tuesday nights, so I'm going to try the water at a couple of 9-ball tournaments held on that night.

I'm also going to revisit and actually work through some of the better drill materials I have, from Joe Tucker's Guaranteed Improvement, The Pro Book, the Monk's The Lesson, etc.

I think I'll learn jumping and masse shots this year as well (having avoided them altogether so far).

nAz
12-12-2002, 11:47 PM
well i will stop practicing 4 hours a week and cut back to 2 hours im loosing da love for it again:(
and two weeks before VF ill try to get in 10 a week /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bigbro6060
12-13-2002, 12:51 AM
4 hours a week ? gee i sometimes get upto 4 hours a day!

i prob average 2.5 hrs a day

Rod
12-13-2002, 02:26 AM
Quote.I'm not doing myself justice so in 2004 if i take a shot on a pool table,"snip

big, whats the plans for 2003? or are you just giving yourself an extra year to fool around? /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

12-13-2002, 09:04 AM
1. Get my pool table back home! (It's at the in-laws' right now)
2. Play a lot more. I just haven't been getting in enough practice
3. Move on to bigger tournaments.

12-14-2002, 04:31 AM
Spend more time practicing routines, improve my banking, and the best one: go at the World Pool Championship in Cardiff when I go visit England in July( as a spectator! though I think I might try one of the last minute qualification tournaments they have the week before just for fun and the experience ).

Mike H
12-15-2002, 09:07 PM
1) Develop my jump shot.
2) Perfect my Keith McCready impersonation. Perform in front of Keith. Ask if he likes.
3) Play the U.S. Open. Maybe.
4) Begin practicing 10 hours a day again.
5) Fall asleep during a one-pocket match with an opponent who plays slower than me. LOL

Perk
12-16-2002, 07:01 AM
Mine would be: Make every shot as consistent as the last one!!! Never take a shot for granted!!! Play the table not the opponent!!!

By the way...Big Bro....You got to earn nicknames...your peers need to give ya one....Sometimes ya like it..Sometimes ya dont....

&lt;--still trying to get rid of this nickname...course mine went along with my last name, so my peers cheated.

Icon of Sin
12-16-2002, 10:57 AM
1: Get out to more Pool Halls rather than just practicing at home, with the exception of my Wednesday APA 9-Ball League. I never really go out to shoot, mostly stay in and shoot on my 8-foot. The guy who is a Skill Level "8" on our team says he will go out whenever to shoot and show me a few things, so I am definately going to take him up on that.

2. Take my time on every shot, even if I don't have much on the ball. And learn to play safes better.

3. Practice more drills rather than just playing 9-Ball with myself or throwing the balls out on the table, work on kick shots and cueball control mostly, maybe a few banks.

4. Start playing more than just 9-Ball and Straight Pool (with the exception of 8-Ball, just dont like that game). Definately start playing One Pocket, and maybe 10-Ball to give it a little more Variety.

5. Try to get myself up to a APA Skill Level "5" by the end of the year, if not a "6" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This list could go on and on but these are the main things that I want to do this year.

Hoosier Kid
12-16-2002, 11:39 AM
I will practice more on my long shots, and banks. And finish restoring my pool table. have a late 50s valley table

01-10-2003, 04:31 PM
definatley to improve my game
Get Pro instructions to improve
Win somekind of tournament.

jjinfla
01-10-2003, 08:13 PM
Change my attitude is number 1. No more feeling sorry for the guys around here and letting them win. Play every game to win. Losing does no good for my game. A new big gun from Michigan is down for the winter (snow bird) and is really good and I hope I can learn a lot from him. When we play I really have to bear down and concentrate. One mistake and its over. We have been playing 8 ball and the guy actually plays out the rack in his head to the 8 ball every time - just like the books say you should. Smooth and easy. Has helped me a lot with reading the table. Says when he was stationed in England many years ago he played snooker against Allison Fisher. But she was a kid and would carry a box around with her to stand on. I'm easy, I believe anything. Jake

01-10-2003, 08:38 PM
To definitely get back into playing a lot, like I used to. I don't really take the time for pool anymore and I miss it. I'm looking forward to getting my tax money back so I can go out shopping for a new cue for me to start back out w/. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

snipershot
01-12-2003, 02:24 PM
To spend more time focusing on my weak point, lot's of players often focus on their strengths and ignore their weaknesses, I think the best way to improve as a player is to work towards eliminating any weaknesses.

01-13-2003, 04:37 PM
[ If i'm not really into playing pool (e.g. i'm at a pub having a crack at some chicks]

1)I will stop calling broads "chicks". LOL
2)Earn a trip to Vegas with one or both of my APA teams.(Turnament in June with 1 team to go. Turnament with other team next month to qualify for June Turnament.)
3)Maintain my handicap of a 4.
4)Get some pro instruction sessions in.
5)Practice more than APA nights and Friday night when I'm drinkin' at da' sports bar.