PDA

View Full Version : Break Followthrough - High or Low ?

bigbro6060
12-12-2002, 09:59 PM
Some pros followthrough low, many bending their cue on the cloth (e.g. Busty). Others followthrough high (e.g. Strickland)

What is the rationale behind each method ?

I followthrough high after aiming low on the whitey

phil in sofla
12-13-2002, 06:21 PM
I've been waiting for someone to reply, since I don't really know.

Since no one has, I'll jump in with a guess that it has to do (maybe) with whether you use a 'raising up' of your body through the stroke or not.

I've heard it argued both ways. Some people say you need to raise up your body as of about when the contact is made on the break, that it is the natural way to do the mechanics, and get the body more into the shot for better power.

I've heard others say this is completely misguided, only leads to inaccuracy in where you hit the cue ball, and all the problems you'd imagine inaccuracy of hit would cause (accidental spin, scratching, jumping the cue off the table, etc.).

Otherwise, it just might be how far you're going to allow the followthrough to go. If you're going to get the tip of the cue following through to almost where the foot spot is, you'd have to let the cue rise, it seems to me.

And clearly, those who end up with the shaft on the cloth are NOT following through more than a foot or so.

bigbro6060
12-14-2002, 04:47 PM
thanx Phil, anyone else with opinions ?

cheesemouse
12-14-2002, 05:20 PM
No opinions just fact; mine goes high and to the right...LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

eg8r
12-14-2002, 05:42 PM
I am sure someone else will comment on the rationale behind the follow through (high or low) but I will say I follow through low. This is when I break my best (If you look at the table, there are a bunch of marks from where my cue and rackmup's cue finish on the breakshot) Rackmup noticed one flaw in my break stroke and has helped solve my problem jumping the cue ball. Everytime I jumped the cue ball off the table, Ken noticed that my cue would rise during the follow through and not finish on the table. When I follow through and finish with the tip on the table, the cue ball never flies off the table.

eg8r <~~~Finishes with the tip on the cloth

stickman
12-15-2002, 12:29 AM
I break with a pendulum stroke and a closed bridge. My tip always finishes on the table. I don't put a lot of body into the break. If I'm breaking a 9ball rack, I use center ball or just slightly low of it. I strive to leave the cueball in the middle of the table. If I'm breaking an 8ball rack, I aim for the second ball from the extreme right side and use draw. I don't control the cueball with this break.

Icon of Sin
12-15-2002, 09:04 AM
Upon a 9-Ball break I can get great cueball control by slamming low with a rail bridge (five fingers on the rail and Cue between Index and Middle fingers). when I hit I hit low on the cueball and follow through (cue usually bend upon the surface of the table). My body usually raises up upon strike. My cueball placement is about halfway between the back rail and the back dot and approximately a half inch to the right of center table. Normally the cueball will bounce and stay around the middle of the table with little or no roll, but occasionlly I get those hits where the cueball rolls into the rack after I hit low.

I just discovered breaking like this and it givs a great break and a hell of a slam and has been good to me so far, just last nite I dropped 4 balls of a 9-ball rack on the snap. (too bad one of them wasnt the 9):)

dddd
12-15-2002, 10:07 PM
generally in the center and flush as i can with the object ball. transfer the energy to the rack.
also contacting q-ball at the proper time in my stroke,
that being not too soon or too late in the stroke sequence.

the break can be the difference in a even match. you break better and you will have greater opportunity, and better tables to run out.

Perk
12-16-2002, 06:54 AM
Icon...rail bridges help build a good concept for a break shot..you can maintain a good stroke and accuracy...Is the CB even with the break line when you start? If not, work on getting a closed bridge where your CB starts even with the string (maximum energy transfer). JMO.

As far as this post goes, I believe it depends on your stroke and the rotation point. Is the cue parallel during contact, or almost parallel? For me, I stroke through and when I finish low like everyone talks, my breaks are alot stronger and more consistent. I have had friends go claim that I am gonna break my stick some day with the bow. If that happens, I guess "Predator" will be getting a cue back to replace/repair, then I can be one to complain about customer service.

Just my monday morning thoughts!