PDA

View Full Version : Ran my first 9-ball rack :)

Icon of Sin
12-14-2002, 11:05 AM
Hey guys, just felt a little proud of myself so I decided to post about it. but yesterday at 7:31 is when I completed my first run in 9-Ball, I was at home and wasnt playing anyone, just shooting around before people showed up our X-mas party. I was rather happy, considering I have never done this before and that I played a good position on every shot and meant it. Also later that night I made in a sweet long masse shot for the three ball shown here...START(
%CM7I6%Db6V5%E]6J9%FT2F0%H]2L4%IJ2W7%Pg2M4%WE5D8%XL3I0%_O9J7
%`Y7N1%af0M4
)END
I wasnt really attempting to make the three just trying to hit it, but it rolled in and left a decent shot on the four... didnt run out after the four cause I still had crap on the five ball... anyway, sorry about tooting my own horn, I was rather happy though

Allan
12-14-2002, 04:52 PM
Congrats!!!!!

I can only imagine what it musta felt like....

When I string together my first rack of anything you bet I'm gonna post it here.....Sheesh, maybe if I string together even 5 balls I'll post it.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Allan

cheesemouse
12-14-2002, 05:15 PM
Way to go and many happy re-runs...... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eg8r
12-14-2002, 05:50 PM
Congratulations. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif It has been a while since I have done it again. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif I seem to have a fear of finishing the rack off, get down to the last couple and do something stupid. LOL I had shape but missed the ball. I actually think this makes OPC sick. It happens often and he just covers his eyes, lowers his head and shakes it. I am not sure what this means, but I don't think it is admiration. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

silverbullet
12-14-2002, 10:34 PM
Congratulations!!! That must feel great. I look forward to learning it. Someone told me that it is much harder than 8-ball.

blu

Icon of Sin
12-15-2002, 07:38 AM
Thanks guys, It did feel great, I even went over to my PC and created a text document with the date on it of my run out and whenever get another break and run out I'll type it in there keep it as records sort of, plus if the dates get closer and closer then I'll be able to tell how fast I am improving.

silverbullet,
9-Bal isnt much harder than 8-Ball, there is less slop on the table which makes things easier to put in, but you do have to hit the balls in order. 9-Ball is the only game I play alot, that and straight Pool, Im not really a 8-ball fan, but I'll play it if others want too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bigbro6060
12-15-2002, 05:42 PM
Congrats mate /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

that's a great milestone

i remember running my first rack, i was jumping around the room!

I normally play Australian 8ball which is played on a 7ft table (with mega tight curved pockets). The difficulty is the traffic ! cueball control has to be really precise. When i played 9Ball for the first time last October, within 1 hour, i was running the odd rack. This was due to the fact that i found the pockets huge and the amount of space on a 9ft table an absolute luxury so i don't think it's fair to say running 9ball racks in easier than running 8ball racks, i think they are different games and require different skills /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chris Cass
12-15-2002, 06:48 PM
Hi IoS,

Congrats on the runout. I can't remember when my first time was. I noticed you mentioned you played straight pool. Straight pool is simular to 8 ball strategy.

When, I want to practice for 9 ball I'll play 10 ball. When, I want to practice 8 ball, I'll play straight pool. JAT

BW mentioned she heard 9 ball was harder than 8 ball. Well, it's been discussed a few times here. There are many thoughts but I've really never added mine on the subject.

I believe 9 ball is harder due to the ball pattern one must take is predetermined. Although the ball spacing is more spread out. It still requires pattern play to a specific ball. In 8 ball, you have more congestion but more choices. The strategy is one that's simple in guidelines. IMO Rules of thumb will come into play, almost like basic rules of thumb in 1P.

No matter what the game. To complete the runout is the best feeling in the world. The second this becomes easy or more often. Then, stringing them togather is the next challenge and soon one runout seems to be less impressive but more of a first step in completeing your next goal. One basic rule I notice more often in 9 ball than in any other game is, one mistake will cost you two games. If it doesn't, this should pump you up tramendously. Good Shooting and a patt on the back from me.

Regards,

C.C.

bigbro6060
12-15-2002, 07:26 PM
I should add that i would imagine that 8ball on a 9ft table would be way easier than 9ball. I sometimes play on 8ft tables and find that easier.

I wish we had more 9ball here in Oz

12-15-2002, 07:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigbro6060:</font><hr> I should add that i would imagine that 8ball on a 9ft table would be way easier than 9ball. I sometimes play on 8ft tables and find that easier.

I wish we had more 9ball here in Oz <hr /></blockquote>

speaking of oz, i've been listening to a radio station there for a long time. it an abc station in queensland whose name escapes me at the moment. i think y'all have a max percent limit on american music and i've gotten to where i like a lot of your local stuff more than i do "the tunes of my youth" which they play also.

anyway, back to the subject of "whatsa hardest game and table size?": it's interesting to me that bar players go catatonic when they are first exposed to a 9-footer. they stand there just muttering to themselves about "all that green". that feeling goes away and, i think, is eventually replaced by "looka all that rooooom!" which is, i think, the correct assesment. given that the balls and holes are, more or less, the same size, the increased spacing between the balls is a real advantage to the better player. an extrta 7 or 8% distance in average shot length is more than made up for in increased room for shape. i vote that bigger is easier although i'll admit that i don't play little tables and look at them muttering..."it's so crowded."

as to which game is harder, i think you kinda have to break each game into phases. late-game 9-ball is for children, absent the pressure element. so few balls, so much room. early rack straight pool is hell but after about half the rack life is good. so many holes to shoot at. having now played serious league 8-ball for several years, i've developed a huge respect for the strategy of that game. yes, the early game seems easy the way a young penthouse model girlfriend with only a very small cocaine appetite might seem easy.

end of the day, i suspect 1-pocket might be the overall most challenging game. at each phase there are intracies.

based on what i'm seeing. there is a lot of real money being contested for in 1-p the last few years. is that a trend, do you think?

is anyone playing one pocket seriously on little tables??

dan...sounds like a kind of hell.

Vagabond
12-15-2002, 08:21 PM
Howdy,
I can`t run a rack.May be u can give me break and wild 7.I will come to your place to play for some reasonable donation to my college fund.cheers
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12-15-2002, 08:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Vagabond:</font><hr> Howdy,
I can`t run a rack.May be u can give me break and wild 7.I will come to your place to play for some reasonable donation to my college fund.cheers
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

............said the spider to the fly.

dddd
12-15-2002, 08:48 PM
congratultions,
pleasing and a wonderful feeling...
hope the second comes soon.

dddd