PDA

View Full Version : OnePocketChamp is...

rackmup
12-14-2002, 01:43 PM
...playing in his first real one-hole tourney today. $50. entry with other details unknown to me at this time.

Two players in the tourney, Joe Salazar and Robert Newkirk are so strong, the field refused to play unles they gave some weight. And, they did. Playing either of them gets you the 10-7 advantage.

More details to come...

Regards,

Ken (told OPC to get ready for the infamous VooDoo Daddy visit)

Chris Cass
12-14-2002, 04:29 PM
I won't sweat it too much. OPC has home court advantage and Joe although can play, he can be beat. Don't know the other guy. 10-7? That's a good spot for any one hole player. IMHO

Regards,

C.C.~~rooting for OPC all the way. Too bad Voodoo wasn't there now.

Chris Cass
12-14-2002, 04:34 PM
Hey Ken,

If Joe brings the line of cues he always brings. There's a ebony/ivory w/ abolne 6 pointer I think? Check it out, it's pretty nice. Made by AE cues. I'm not familiar with the company but the cue has what I like for sure. The asking price from AE in Vegas was $3000. and Joe's price was $3500. in Olathe. Either way it's some good eye candy. JAT

Regards,

C.C.

Ward
12-14-2002, 04:46 PM
Chris

I have owned one of AE cues. I sold it a couple of years ago, they are good guys.

Later
Ward

eg8r
12-14-2002, 04:50 PM
Hello Chris,

I just met Joe Salazar the other day. He is a pretty nice guy. He has a Tim Scruggs sneaky pete to sell and he wants $300 for it. I thought this was a pretty good price until checking on the net and saw that other people in the past had bought theirs in the low 200 range. My question is...Is the cue worth $300 since Tim is not making these cues anymore? Also, I am looking to use it as a playing cue not for a collection. If I do buy it, I will be able to retire my Meucci 21-b (fell out of love when after a year or so playing with it the finish seems to be wearing away).

eg8r <~~~Would really like the $1200 Scruggs but I will have to catch Joe the next time.

Popcorn
12-14-2002, 04:51 PM
Joe Salazar, there is a name I remember. I played him a number of times in the early 70s. Mostly 9-ball on the bar table.

Barbara
12-14-2002, 05:10 PM
Joe Salazar is one nice guy!! Always has a booth at the Expo and always says hello!!

Barbara~~~almost three months to the Expo... /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Barbara
12-14-2002, 05:17 PM
eg8r,

I haven't seen a Scruggs s/p go for less than $275-$300. Considering the dearth of Scruggs s/p's, maybe you should reconsider your price range.

Ted Harris makes a really nice s/p. I have one made with cocobolopoints/butt/birdseye maple forearm. No wrap and nice collar rings on the joint with silver nickle. If you want a s/p to last, you should have a collar on the joint. This was a Santa gift 3 years ago, but I think it was around $250.

Barbara~~~has yet to try the new Talisman tip on her s/p... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

eg8r
12-14-2002, 05:35 PM
Barbara,

Thanks for the information. I really did not have a price range on the cue. I thought the $300 was a good price. Then when I came online was when I had some doubts but I wanted to make sure. Joe told me that he thought the butt was from a valley cue with a Scruggs shaft put on it. Also, Scruggs put an ivory buttcap on the cue. I am not sure what other work has been done to the cue, but I will find out when I get back from vacation. I have wanted a Scruggs for so long but in Orlando they are very rare. At least it was rare to find one for sale. lol

eg8r

Barbara
12-14-2002, 05:40 PM
Well, Ted makes all of his cues himself. He doesn't go and buy a Valley cue to cut it in half to just put a joint collar on it. The s/p I have is some really nice cocobolo. And I like the way it hits, too.

Sorry you're too far away to check it out.

Barbara~~~My Cue Man's the only person beside Ted that can touch Ted's cue and Ted's the only person besides My Cue Man that can touch his cue... rules are rules... /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

eg8r
12-14-2002, 05:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Barbara~~~My Cue Man's the only person beside Ted that can touch Ted's cue and Ted's the only person besides My Cue Man that can touch his cue... rules are rules... <hr /></blockquote> I no longer have a cue guy. When I lived in Orlando, I was able to get some work done by Chris Nitti but I did not need much (I think I had a new tip put on and had him clean the shaft). Now, if I don't buy a new cue, I would like my Meucci re-done. I hate that you can feel the fake inlays (Ken says they are fake /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ). I would really like to get that cue but I will see. I might trade another cue and some money and see if I can get one of Joe's other Scruggs cues. We will see.

eg8r

Barbara
12-14-2002, 06:53 PM
...if the inlays are fake? It's been a while, but I thought Meucci had genuine inlays. Did you leave this cue somehwere that it was exposed to the extremes and the inlays raised up before the finish?

And now I'm trying to remember what Meucci finished their cues with. All inlay material has their own properties and will react with the weather in their own way. They will contract with the cold and expand with the warmth. Depending on the finish, it may raise up with the expansion of the inlay or the inlays may break through and the finish will craize on you if it's a lacquer finish.

I know Ted's got that automotive clear-coat thing on his cues, and that will last forever. I've never seen a smudge or a dull spot. Now, on my custom cue, it has a lacquer coat and I always have to wipe it down to get my skin oils off of it. And with a bit of a special t-shirt, too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Barbara~~~loves her Cue Man... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Popcorn
12-14-2002, 07:19 PM
That sounds like a lot of money for a s/p. I don't think Tim even builds those cues, they are built by a friend of his. You can ask him he won't lie to you. The ones I have seen were not even finished that well. The guy at the poolroom where I sometimes go got 5 of them and they were around $130.00 a cue wholesale. He was selling them for $200. Don't know, I just would not pay that for a s/p made from a house cue butt. Mind you, some cuemakers actually build the whole butt and don't just use a manufactured house cue butt, that would be a different deal. Just my opinion.

Chris Cass
12-14-2002, 09:21 PM
Hi eg8r,

I like Joe but he's there to make some money too. I wouldn't pay $300. for the cue. I wouldn't go higher than $175. myself. However, there are lots of cues out there and Joe isn't set on any price believe me. When, ever you go to a tourney that's one of the bigger events. Checkout the cues and find the ones you really like. Then, wait for the last day and the last hrs. their bothes are open. Then, make a bid with cash in hand. You'll walk with your price.

Don't give in when they say no. Just say ok, and put the money back into your pocket. Walk away slow, they will call you back. Remember, to act like buying a car. It's ok but you don't really need it. JAT Trading cues isn't a good idea either. Have yours refinished and sell it. More people loose money on used cues. Cues always look great at 100%. You should see mine. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~If you know this than disregard, just running off at the mouth. LOL

eg8r
12-14-2002, 10:02 PM
I appreciate your reply. I believe you are correct to some degree. I have heard from a few other sources that the butt of the s/p is the butt from a valley cue, and Tim just makes some changes to it, ie, the buttcap is now ivory. I have no idea about the shaft, and you guess is probably better than mine. I will think about the cue, and maybe give him another offer and see if that will be good enough. If not, maybe I will just have mine refinished and wait for another cue. I am pretty set on a Scruggs but will have to wait for the right time and the right cue. If this is not the right cue, I will not buy it.

Thanks for the reply,

Eg8r

rackmup
12-14-2002, 10:11 PM
2 &amp; BBQ.

Oh well...he will live to do battle another day.

Regards,

Ken (hopes OPC doesn't allow this lack-luster performance carry over into league tomorrow) /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

eg8r
12-14-2002, 10:13 PM
Chris, I think your reply is closely in line with my way of thinking, however I usually do not bargain unless I know enough about something. I will never brag about my pool prowess. LOL I really have no idea about what cues are worth, and generally, when I have been in the market for a cue, I looked for one that looked nice, and then I shot with it. If I liked the way it felt when I shot a couple games with it, I would ask the price. Before I ever get the price, I usually would have an idea about what I thought I would want to pay for the cue. I have always, 100% of the time, been wrong on the price. I am generally way lower than what the seller is wanting, but that is probably because I do not know much about the skill in making one, so I have more trouble putting a value on it. Every Scruggs I have ever played with I loved. I really liked a Nitti and bought one without being 100% in love with the cue. Another guy in the room wanted to cash in and let me play with his Scruggs in hopes I would spend my money with him. I loved the feel of the Scruggs far more than the Nitti cue but could not afford the Scruggs. I bought the Nitti and was never happy because of it. I ended up selling it about 2 weeks later and got my money out of it. Oh well, that is learning I guess.

I will be thinking about this cue for a little while but I cannot do anything until after vacation anyways. Depending on how much my wife misses Orlando when we get on the plane to come back to Texas will also help decide how much money is left in savings. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r &lt;~~~Not really in the market for cues but if something shows up I just might buy it

eg8r
12-14-2002, 10:17 PM
I really don't know if the inlays are fake or not. I guess they are not really fake, if they were then that would just be paint. The part that is fake is the perceived material used. It is a black cue with large ivory points. Obviously the points are not ivory but something else that is white, probably a plastic or something. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

eg8r
12-14-2002, 10:28 PM
How bad were the losses. C'mon OPC get on here and let us know. I was rooting for you the whole day while cleaning house. LOL

eg8r

OnePocketChamp
12-15-2002, 12:41 AM
Okay, let's begin by saying thanks for all the support shown on the board today, but alas I did go 2 and out. Threw Salazar first out of the box and tanked the first game badly (couldn't keep whitey out of all those holes they have on tables- damn pool table makers). Played the next two games with better results but my end game falled me. My next match was against Andy Jackson which I lost 3-1 but it was my first tournament in quite awhile so we'll see next time. The final outcome was Newkirk vs Ted with Newkirk coming out on top and taking first place money $240.

Chris Cass
12-15-2002, 01:49 AM
Well OPC,

I was rooting for you too. There's always next time. Next time, with luck you'll find a table that doesn't leak. It's not that I haven't been there a million times before. I can't even do anything now but there will be a day when the light shines through and the wind says, "Hey, I'm not stinkin up the joint." LOL Peace my brother....

Regards,

C.C.

rackmup
12-15-2002, 08:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Obviously the points are not ivory but something else that is white, probably a plastic or something. <hr /></blockquote>

The 'ivory points' are a proprietary product developed by Bob Meucci known as 'Meuccivory" and it is a very thin laminate laid over the butt of the cue and then sealed with another Meucci proprietary product similar to laquer but called 'Meuccicoat'.

'Meuccivory' is made from compressed restaurant grease-trap by-products, strained pork chitterlings and encapsulated plastic particles, all molded together to form the various shapes you see on your cue.

'Meuccicoat' is simply plain old laquer coating, necessary to keep the odor of the 'Meuccivory' from smelling up the pool room as it procedes through it's natural process of decomposition.

Regards,

Ken (keeping the uninformed public, informed)

Rich R.
12-15-2002, 08:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> I appreciate your reply. I believe you are correct to some degree. I have heard from a few other sources that the butt of the s/p is the butt from a valley cue, and Tim just makes some changes to it, ie, the buttcap is now ivory. I have no idea about the shaft, and you guess is probably better than mine. I will think about the cue, and maybe give him another offer and see if that will be good enough. If not, maybe I will just have mine refinished and wait for another cue. I am pretty set on a Scruggs but will have to wait for the right time and the right cue. If this is not the right cue, I will not buy it.

Thanks for the reply,

Eg8r <hr /></blockquote>
Although Timmy Scruggs may have used butts from Valley cues for some SP's, I don't really know, many of his SP's were made from more exotic woods than you will find in any house cue. You have to check a little closer to see what you are buying. Whether Timmy made the more exotic butts, or not, I also don't know, but you may still get a decent cue. I know several people with the SP's and they love them.
If you are set on a Scrugg's cue and you are not interested in a lot of eye candy, call Timmy and find out what a basic cue will cost. You may be surprised and it may be cheaper than buying one through a dealer. You would also be able to customize it, a little, to your taste.
I know Mike M., Lester and I, all currently play with Scrugg's cues and I think you will like one too.

Mike H
12-15-2002, 08:46 AM
I was checking out a few of their cues....how stiff do they play?

Thanks,
Mike

Mike H
12-15-2002, 08:52 AM
Speaking of the Expo, what are the dates for that? I was actually thinking of actually playing the tourney and not trying to match up with Pat this year.

Tom_In_Cincy
12-15-2002, 09:12 AM
OPC,
I am jealous, the next 1P tournament we have around here is in Louisville in Jan.

Congrats on your entry and getting into the trenches. I always will admire someone that places there skills on the line to prove what they are.

Sounds like you had a good cheering crowd, and had a good time as well.

Good luck on your next effort.. I am sure you will do better next time..

1P is a game that keeps you coming back for more..

I hope you can make it to the DCC in Jan.. I would love to see how we could match up..

eg8r
12-15-2002, 12:17 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

SpiderMan
12-16-2002, 09:11 AM
OPC,

Was there a really small turnout? I would have expected first to pay a lot more in a $50 entry tournament. Who was running it, did they have added money?

SpiderMan