PDA

View Full Version : The "NEW" Billiards Digest CCB

rackmup
03-11-2002, 07:47 AM
It's been several weeks since the launch of the new CCB. A lot of us threatened to abandon it for "playpool.com" or other pool destinations. Just curious as I see a lot of those who threatened to "bail", are now back "home", here at the BD CCB...what made you stay (or return?)

rackmup
03-11-2002, 07:49 AM
Or...if you have switched and are just "lurking" here, why?

stickman
03-11-2002, 09:11 AM
Being new to the forum, I don't know how it was before. I like it fine. More important to me, is the friendly atmosphere. I've visited several other forums and have found, I like this one best. /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

03-11-2002, 06:22 PM
85% of the voters find my posts and polls "silly". I was expecting a MUCH higher number than that!

What do I need to work on? My wit? Need to be more abrasive? Should I use "cuss" words more often? Sexual content?

Regards and LOL to those that want to see me go 'cause I'm here for the "long haul!"

Ken

rackmup
03-12-2002, 07:19 AM
I've dropped in the polls...from 85% yesterday to 77% today. I tried to pull the poll from the CCB but I apparently waited too long...now I'm stuck with being stabbed with my own knife. Ouch.

Ken

03-12-2002, 01:24 PM

rackmup
03-12-2002, 04:37 PM
Why, Thanks Mike Mc!

And it means all the more to me coming from someone that knows clowns and their roles in life...I'm assuming from the "Mc" in your last name that you are THE clown famous for cheese burgers and "Happy Meals?"http://www.ronald.com/img/smile_scribble.gif

Your friend (crammed into a small car with his peer group),

Ken (afraid of clowns but a big fan of your Chicken McNuggets)

Chris Cass
03-13-2002, 08:31 AM
Hey Ken,
Your imagination is wild.
LOL,
C.C.

03-13-2002, 01:35 PM
Another first post leading with your painted chin, and fighting back in floppy shoes after you catch one.

cheesemouse
03-13-2002, 03:11 PM
Mike Mc,
Your wit and intelligence are welcomed by me here Mike but not in the unregistered state.

rackmup
03-13-2002, 07:40 PM
I too, extend my hand in greeting to yet another formidable opponent who's goal is to attempt to quell my posts but I must warn you...your battle will be uphill and with the wind at your face...and no fair making fun of my floppy shoes.

Regards,

Ken (wears a big <font color=red>red</font color=red> nose that honks as well)

Doctor_D
03-13-2002, 07:46 PM
Good evening:

Not unlike breaking in a new pair of shoes, the shoes break into the feet and the feet break into the shoes, we are adjusting and becoming all the more comfortable with the new CCB format. God how I hate change. However, nothing is as consistent as change!

Dr. D.

Wally_in_Cincy
03-14-2002, 12:14 PM
you fellers are starting to make this place look like the "other" place.

To rackmup: your posts are always polite, well intended and often amusing, but IMO they may be a bit too prolific. No offense intended. JMHO....

rackmup
03-14-2002, 03:27 PM
"To rackmup: your posts are always polite, well intended and often amusing, but IMO they may be a bit too prolific."

prolific
(SYN.)
fertile, rich, fruitful, teeming, fecund, bountiful, luxuriant, productive, plenteous.
(ANT.)
unproductive, barren, sterile, impotent.

Given this definition from WEBSTER'S Dictionary/Thesaurus, I'm not sure if you enjoy the posts or abhor them. Further clarification is requested.

As for the CCB's resemblance to the "other place"; both forums are laden with good people, good info, jack-asses, know-it-alls, newbies, experienced players, talkers, women, men, children, adults that act like children and posts that are intended to inflame rather than inform.

The "other place" does have a lot more "woofing" but that is something that was present here and there, long before I became a poster and will continue to flourish long after carpel-tunnel syndrome has silenced my hunt-and-peck typing style.

I fit all of the descriptions listed above with the exception of two (woman and child) and submit posts that are not always of an informative nature but seldom of the inflammatory type either, unless provoked.

I attempt to conduct myself here as I would in public...a gentleman always, offer information when it is requested and throw a mean right hook when needed, in self-defense, be it physical or verbal.

And just a little info to digest before you suggest that the CCB is like the "other place":

As of this posting (approximately 2:15PM on 03/14/02) there are 542 message threads on the CCB. Approximately 10 are of the negative nature ("woofing", disagreements and complaints about the new CCB format). That is less than 6% in negative posts. Not bad considering the "other places" that you refer to.

I apologize personally if my brand of humor or my inclination to defend myself is offensive to some but remember this: My screen name is ALWAYS displayed, my personal email address is there for all to see and I sign my name to EVERY post...if someone dislikes my posts or particular brand of humor, there are plenty of "warning signs" that will allow you to bypass my posts.

Most people, however, like me or hate me, will "roll down the window, crane their necks and hope to get a better glimpse of the car wreck."

Regards and no intent to inflame (except when intended),

Ken

Chris Cass
03-14-2002, 05:25 PM
Hi Ken,
I for one like you and think your funny and intelligent. I do have to admit, I'm not running with a full deck though. LMAO

Regards,
C.C.

PS: I miss the old regulars too but the other place just iratates the hell out of me. I do like Ed though, he's ok.

rackmup
03-14-2002, 07:24 PM
Why...thank you kind sir.

Regards,

Ken (funny sometimes, irritating during others, rarely consistent and always lurking about)

03-29-2002, 08:42 AM
Sure lots of talk about flaming. I guess thats expected from a big ol flamer...

BillyRinNC
03-29-2002, 09:47 AM
Ken,

I do enjoy your posts and your brand of humor. When I first read your stuff, I thought "this guy is an idiot" But I was way wrong. (First impressions sometimes WRONG)
One of your story post made me laugh so hard a while back!
Have fun in TEXAS. Hope to meet you at US OPEN.
BillyR in NC

stickman
03-29-2002, 10:14 AM
Personally, I enjoy your posts Ken. For me, this board is just like my pool game. I take it serious, but if it ever quits being fun, I'll find something else to do. I'm just a smuck player who would like to get better. This board is informative and entertaining to me. If I could add more to the technical/educational content of the forum, I would, but alas, I'm just a smuck. I can only offer my personal experience, which is limited. I give what I can, and take all that my mind can absorb. I very much appreciate all the knowledge and experience that is present here, and the willingness of those that kindly share it. I enjoy the mix of lightheartedness and learning.

As far as the other place. There is a wealth of knowledge there too, but personally, I find it too confrontational.

Thanks to all that make this a place where I can laugh and learn at the same time.

MikeM
03-29-2002, 10:56 AM
I agree with stickman. I only showed up here a few weeks ago and I enjoy this board very much. Lots of good dialogue and help. Very friendly. That "other" board has gotten ridiculous. I'll stick with the CCB exclusively from now on.

MM

03-29-2002, 07:58 PM
Ken...Frankly speaking I recently lost all taste for the playpool.com crap, and I know you and I have not personally connected here in DFW yet...I have to say that you furthered that melee of uselessness many, many times. Ok I said it, now I am back to cruising both boards hoping that the sh$t over there will wane to a minimum and pool will actually be discussed...sid~~~learned long ago to just stay away when crap is slung my way, it all goes away in time and defending one's self usually fuels the fire to greater heights

Barbara
03-29-2002, 10:14 PM
Okay, I know I said "Goodbye" with this new format a while ago and went to playpool.com. But the childish bickering there just spoiled that site for me. I'll still check in from time to time.

I've lurked and posted here. And I'm registered with my name. And I can appreciate the bells and whistles, if only just to veiw them 'cause I have no clue how to use them. cheesemouse and Tom Brooklyn really know how to use this stuff. And Tom, if you're reading this post, I'll be bringing my laptop with me to Corner Billiards, so give me some decent notes to type in to do some things.

So many posts and pages, I only set my preferences for a week. As I understand it, posting will bring the thread forward but if I don't see it for a while, it'll get buried. So this says to me that if I don't check out my posts, I may not catch the responses to respond when it's called for. Ouch! Dangling participle. Unreplied-to posts. I hope I haven't stood anyone up for a reply because I didn't go back more than 3 pages.

And Pizza Bob, sorry I "stood you up" at Tacony on Friday (today), but it was one of the first Fridays I had to work until afternoon in a looooooong time. We'll hook up for a race or two. And Tacony only sells Aquafina, not Evian. Tony makes good coffee and food in general. So give me more notice when you're going to be in the area so I can "forward" my hours to comp in the latter part of the week!

Barbara~~~Hi Honey! I'm Ho-oooome!!!!

03-29-2002, 10:24 PM
Ken,
I LOVE your posts, and PLease don't ever go away, as the board will never be the same without you. I really wish that Barbara and George and all the others who used to post before the format change would return too, Smorgass Bored is a wasted talent at playpool IMHO. Okay, so it's not that humble, but forgive me anyway. Just my opinion, but I think that this board has the brightest, most entertaining group of people out of all the forums I've seen in the billiard community, and every time we lose someone, it's cause for lament. Come on back, everyone. Admit it, you're tired of the endless TAP/APA bickering and you miss us, don't you? Don't abandon us over something like format.... you really DO get used to it, and they gave us SO many cool toys to play with!!! (Like I've even tried to figure out how to use them! LOL )

Doctor_D
04-01-2002, 08:30 AM
Good morning:

How sweet it is when a new pair of heels are broken-in, with-out breaking the feet in the process. Like a new pair of heels, sorry guys I know that you can not relate "Too Bad Though (snicker snicker)", it does take awhile before they become comfortable for the long term.

The Billiards Digest CCB, like those new heels, has become comfortable for the long haul. No one likes to give up their old comfortable shoes. However, as much as we hate it, there comes a time when we have to.

Dr. D.

Alfie
04-01-2002, 11:48 AM
&gt;&gt;&gt; How sweet it is when a new pair of heels are broken-in, with-out breaking the feet in the process. Like a new pair of heels, sorry guys I know that you can not relate "Too Bad Though (snicker snicker)", it does take awhile before they become comfortable for the long term. &lt;&lt;&lt;

I can't imagine heels ever becoming comfortable, only less painful. Why do women tolerate such torture?

Doctor_D
04-01-2002, 11:59 AM
Good afternoon:

We tolerate them because they make our legs look better and we can add another 2.5 to 3.0 inches to our height!

Dr. D.

Alfie
04-01-2002, 02:21 PM
hmmm, think I'll get some

04-10-2002, 04:57 AM
Maybe you should clue in to your lack of popularity and do something to change it. Yes or no answers will be a start.

rackmup
04-10-2002, 06:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Maybe you should clue in to your lack of popularity and do something to change it. Yes or no answers will be a start. <hr></blockquote>

Scientific studies into the "makeup" of message forums and those who post indicated the following:

50% of all REGISTERED members, post prolific information and are typically at the higher end of the IQ range.

25% of all REGISTERED members of POOL &amp; BILLIARD forums play at a "B+" level or higher and earn higher than average incomes.

The remaining 25% are those who DO NOT REGISTER AND/OR CHOOSE NOT TO LIST VALID EMAIL ADDRESSES.
This small percentage of "lurkers" tend to be less intelligent, seek enjoyment in the harming of small animals, enjoy knocking on doors and running away before the resident answers and ironically, ALL of them choose to turn their underwear inside out, so as to gain TWO days worth of wear rather than doing laundry.

These studies do not lie.

"Anonymous", so you prefer "yes or no answers?" Okay...

Do I think you are a moron?

YES.

Regards,

Ken (sending "anonymous" a new three pack of Fruit-of-the-Looms")

Doctor_D
04-10-2002, 06:58 AM
Good morning Ken:

Interesting, very interesting!

Dr. D.

Chris Cass
04-10-2002, 07:52 AM
Hi A,
I really don't think Ken isn't popular at all. When the board slows down, you can expect Ken to come up with something bizarre to say or some off the wall poll. LOL

He's really a unique individual. He's intelligent and if you read behind all the posts he writes. You'd see he's a happy guy. That's a good thing. Not all his posts are just for fun either. Some have good pool insite. He's respectful and reminds me of just one of the guys.

Although, he trades blows with someone on the other board. I think he was provoked. Like he says, you either like him or don't. Your choice, but remember this. If you've had a bad day at the tables or at work. Ken will be there to make you remember, life is too short to feel down.

I enjoy the pool related topics mostly but you have to mix it up. Were human and need too. It's healthy, and friendly. That's what makes the CCB #1. We realize the importants of pool issues and getting along. I personally, would like to meet most of the people on this board and feel I can email most anyone here and not regret meeting them in public.

Why don't you registar and join us? Your choice, or you can lurk. If you don't do either and post. Why don't you make up a name? Just to identify yourself with your contributions.

JMHO,
C.C.~~Ken's press secretary....

Wally_in_Cincy
04-10-2002, 10:57 AM
I'm just sorry he dredged up this thread. I think it may never die. LOL

04-10-2002, 12:10 PM
Ditto what Stickman said. I'm new here but not new to forums and I find it refreshing the amount of intelligent posts that get posted in here. In a forum environment, there are always knuckleheads that can't play nice with others. But in here they appear to be severely outnumbered.