PDA

View Full Version : English on extreme cut shots

12-15-2002, 09:09 PM
What kind of english do you use on cut shots that are nearly 90 degrees? Assuming the cue ball is on the head spot, and the object ball is on the foot rail almost straight accross, maybe a little to the left. You're trying to put it in the far left corner pocket. My theory is that if the OB is on the rail, you use extreme left english so the CB rolls across the rail for an instant while contacting the OB. If its not on the rail but is still a really tough cut, I would use right english so left english is transferred to the OB, causing the OB to roll across the rail a little. Does this sound right?

bigbro6060
12-15-2002, 09:23 PM
On an extreme cue shot, i use mainly follow and draw to direct the whitey to the right side of the table. I'm not skilled enough with english to use it on such extreme cue shots. Ensuring the ball goes in the pocket is more important at my level of play

12-15-2002, 09:29 PM
first priority is where i want the c.b. to go but if, somehow, that's not a priority then i don't think i'd try for a dead center shot. i'd put something on the c.b. cause that's what i'm used to. i rarely shoot a real centerball.

dan

9 Ball Girl
12-15-2002, 09:33 PM
First I'd want to know where I want the cue ball to land. Next, if it is that extreme, than I'd opt for a safety shot instead depending on the game you're playing.

Tom_In_Cincy
12-15-2002, 09:34 PM
Inside and aim THICK
Outside and aim very THIN.. or aim even to miss the ball.

Very rarely do I use center (top or bottom) for these types of shots.

smfsrca
12-16-2002, 02:48 AM
Try one tip of inside (no follow, no draw). Aim the center of the tip at the edge of the object ball. Stroke with medium speed speed. Make adjustments in which part of the tip you aim at the edge until you have mastered the technique and the shot.
Steve

phil in sofla
12-17-2002, 12:27 AM
If it's a cut not on the rail, I prefer to use bottom.

If it was on the rail, and dead on, I'd masse with bottom inside, aiming to hit about 1/8th ball full.

If it was a little over, as you describe, I'd hit it with straight top.