PDA

View Full Version : Questions about stance, weight distribution

Leviathan
12-16-2002, 06:47 AM
I'm working on my stance and would appreciate advice on these points:

1. How much weight should I have on my bridge hand when I'm playing an ordinary shot (one that doesn't require a long stretch)?

2. Should I have the same amount of weight on each foot? Should the weight be on the balls of the feet, or what?

3. I'm very tall and have to crouch (bend both knees) to get into shooting position. This is awkward and tiring. Any thoughts on stance adjustments for tall players?

Thanks for your input!

Duke Mantee

cheesemouse
12-16-2002, 06:57 AM
Leviathan,
I believe a general rule of thumb is: when in the shooting position can you lift your bridge hand straight up in the air w/o straining or loosing your balance.

Alfie
12-20-2002, 10:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr> How much weight should I have on my bridge hand when I'm playing an ordinary shot (one that doesn't require a long stretch)? <hr /></blockquote> Just the weight of the extended hand itself. Cheese has it right.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr> Should I have the same amount of weight on each foot? <hr /></blockquote> Yes.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr> Should the weight be on the balls of the feet, or what? <hr /></blockquote> No. Spread it evenly across the soles.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr> I'm very tall and have to crouch (bend both knees) to get into shooting position. This is awkward and tiring. Any thoughts on stance adjustments for tall players? <hr /></blockquote> I have no thoughts. Perhaps Francine is lurking. Francine, are you out there?

IMO

12-24-2002, 11:41 AM
How tall is tall? I'm 6-1 and I prefer to leave my knees locked, bend at the hips and sinch backwards. This may not be comfortable for everyone but it is for me. And that is the point: Get Comfortable. If your stance feels awkward you will not be able to focus your full attention to the table.

Tom_In_Cincy
12-24-2002, 12:57 PM
CheeseMouse
My opinion also.. good simple rule. Nicely worded.