PDA

View Full Version : One Pocket question

sliprock
12-16-2002, 10:55 AM
The situation is this.. I need one ball and my opponent thinks I need two balls. He shoots and fails to drive anything to a rail but leaves me a decent shot at my game ball that's near the spot. I didn't call the foul, and my opponent thought that I didn't see the foul. After I address the shot, my opponent realizes his score keeping error and then want's to call the foul on himself and spot one of his balls to block my shot. I let him spot the ball this time, but made it clear that from now on, any balls that were owed or needed spotting must be taken care of as soon as possible. If you snooze and forget to spot an owed ball, you lose the right to spot it later. What do you do in a situation like this?

eg8r
12-16-2002, 11:08 AM
I guess in this situation it would have favored you. My question back would be, in another situation, would you then think he might be cheating by not spotting up balls? An example would be, if you still needed 4 balls and had no shot at making one even after the foul. His owed ball would not be in your way, nor would it help you by spotting it up. At this point, most would say the guy is cheating by forgetting to spot the ball owed. There is too much grey area here. When I play someone, I am honest at the table at all times, and not just when it suits me. I am sure you are correct by the rules for not having to tell him when to spot up his owed balls, however I would feel like I am cheating by not telling him, and I would probably be so bothered by it that I miss anyways.

eg8r

Chris Cass
12-16-2002, 05:48 PM
You played it right IMO. I myself would have made the point of making sure you opponent wasn't able to get over on you but it worked out. If I were you I'd give him the benifit of the doubt. Sometimes one falls asleep in the game. If the foul was commited and no balls in and the coin marker is used. Then, make sure you tell him first as you did. Only do this in the beginning of play.

There's countless moves in this game. One has to be all over it. I like the one where your opponent leaves you a sellout shot and slaps his leg. It's so blatent it's funny. Like your gonna take it. LOL

Regards,

C.C.

dddd
12-16-2002, 10:02 PM
the game normally played all fouls being spotted, there are no sleepers
you didnt make clear before starting the rules, and there can always be differences in ideas of what the rules are.

if player one forgets and second player forgets or whatever, the ball should be spotted after one inning is over.
i dont have the text in front of me to quote exactly. but in this case a inning would be you shoot and he shoots then places fouled ball on spot. if the game is not over.

Tom_In_Cincy
12-16-2002, 10:17 PM
At the beginnig of the game.. some players like to put a coin near their pocket to indicate they owe a ball, (if they don't have any to spot for a foul)

I use to put my keys in my hole so that when a ball was made in my pocket, it reminded me to spot the ball(s) I owed..

Well, one nite I was getting spanked pretty bad.. and the last game I lost 8 to minus 2..

I looked for at least 10 minutes for my keys.. finally found them in my hole.. lose and then look like an idiot.. trying to find my keys..

OnePocketChamp
12-16-2002, 10:19 PM
I agree with you, the game must be played with integrity by both players in its pure form. I would never try to take advantage of my opponent by intentionally not calling a foul on myself and I always mark my pocket with a marker when I owe balls. I consider myself a honest player and seem to play better knowing I have played by the rules of the game. Good luck in all your one pocket games and keep the sport as it should be, a respected game played by players of quality.

Chris Cass
12-17-2002, 01:58 AM
Tap, Tap, Tap.

C.C.

Tom_In_Cincy
12-17-2002, 08:22 AM
Quote from the "Kids" in the pool hall

"I hate playing those old farts, they know too much, they only play that one hole game and it makes you think too much"

smfsrca
12-17-2002, 11:58 AM
Most of us know exactly what would happen if a match were refereed. When our matches are not refereed, which is most of the time, we are on the honor system. From what I have been able to observe, the degree of honor is inversely proportional to the size of the wager.

Chris Cass
12-17-2002, 03:17 PM
I'm not sure I agree with that. Ask anyone in my hall about me. I can't tell you how many times I've given away matches due to my thoughtfulness and honesty. Sucker? Nope, just want my wins to be flawless and they make me shout, Yeh Baby.

LOL,

C.C.