PDA

View Full Version : WPBA & Valley Forge

Pizza Bob
12-16-2002, 12:24 PM
Just got the word that the women won't be at Valley Forge this year. I understand they couldn't reach an agreement with Hopkin's Productions. Don't know if the men will fill the void - or which men (UPA? - doubtful), but the women will be sorely missed. Kinda unusual given that Dawn is on the tour and VF has always been one of their best stops - they've been there every year but the first one held at the Meadowlands. How do you think this will affect attendance at VF this year? Just curious.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Rich R.
12-16-2002, 12:47 PM
Bob, are you getting this information from a good source, or just reading it on another message board?
Please let us know if negotiations have ended, if you have it from a good source.
If your source is just what has been printed on another message board, I have reason to believe that the decision may not be final.

Maybe Barbara can shed some light?

Pizza Bob
12-16-2002, 12:54 PM
My original source was through the cuemaker network - with the word ultimately coming from Jan McWorter. I then confirmed this (since I didn't hear it from Jan directly) through a friend of mine that plays on the tour (top 16) and she confirmed it. Noone can say that all negotiations are over, but I wasn't led to believe that they are ongoing - it sounded like the issue was settled. Sorry.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Eric.
12-16-2002, 01:55 PM
Bob,

I heard (reliable source) that as of right now, the WPBA won't be there BUT informal discussions are still going on. Supposedly, there is one big issue that the two parties can't agree on and if that issue can be worked out, then we might have something.

Sounded better than the MTA transit situation!

Eric >the CCB Jimmy Olsen

Barbara
12-16-2002, 01:58 PM
Rich,

I emailed Dawn a month ago so I could start to stockpile up on pecans (I make up 28 lbs a year for her for the girls' goody bags), and was told this would not be necessary next year.

I don't really know what else they have in store as far as pro events go, but the Amateur event is still on and there will still be well over a hundred vendors.

Barbara

Fred Agnir
12-16-2002, 03:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> Bob, are you getting this information from a good source, or just reading it on another message board?<hr /></blockquote>
I'm not Bob, but... I got it from a great source. No WPBA in VF this year.

Fred

Fred Agnir
12-16-2002, 03:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr>I don't really know what else they have in store as far as pro events go, but the Amateur event is still on and there will still be well over a hundred vendors.<hr /></blockquote>
And a lot of extra pecans...

TomBrooklyn
12-16-2002, 03:22 PM
Maybe Mr. Hopkins ought to loosen up the purse strings a little. His payouts are pretty anemic for the size of the event and the amount of amateur players playing and putting up entry fees.

SPetty
12-16-2002, 03:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> Maybe Mr. Hopkins ought to loosen up the purse strings a little. His payouts are pretty anemic for the size of the event and the amount of amateur players playing and putting up entry fees. <hr /></blockquote>Perhaps that's true, but it doesn't seem that would have an affect on the WPBA decision...

www.superbilliardsexpo.com (http://www.superbilliardsexpo.com) is still shows "Plans are underway, and we are planning on once again bringing you the top Professional Men and Women in the World to compete in the Professional Players Championship!"

Barbara
12-16-2002, 07:44 PM
Always for you, Fred.

Just as long as you don't bet them on a game in the "Green Room".

Barbara~~~Fred should've bet them on a race, not just one game... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rich R.
12-17-2002, 06:39 AM
Thanks for the information Barbara.
Although it is nice to see all the goodies that the vendors bring, do a little shopping, and see some friends /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif, the primary reason my wife and I attend is to see the pro tournament. If the WPBA is not going to be there and the men's event is a UPA single elimination event, we may be canceling our reservations. The bang just won't be worth the bucks.
I will be eagerly awaiting any developments. Please keep us posted if you hear anything new.

Tom_In_Cincy
12-17-2002, 07:19 AM
Rich,

Maybe the CCB could hold a tournament to replace the WPBA?

I just might make the drive next year...

Rich R.
12-17-2002, 07:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Rich,

I just might make the drive next year... <hr /></blockquote>
Tom, that would make the trip more attractive. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TomBrooklyn
12-17-2002, 12:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr>If... the men's event is a UPA single elimination...The bang just won't be worth the bucks.<hr /></blockquote>Rich, don't forget that as a lot of the men are eliminated from the pro tourney, they head to the general admission table area where they play each other and anyone else who wishes to challenge on the $50./rack table around the clock; and other pros and action players who have converged on Valley Forge will be playing sets in the same area.

The crowd around the main table will rival that of the pro tourney in size; where many will take a personal stake in the outcome of every game, and in some cases, every shot, partial run-out, and all kinds of impromtu challenges. With a little judicious handicapping, you can recoup the cost of your whole trip and more within a few minutes to a couple of hours depending on your judgement and willingness to invest; or you can just watch the show, where the spectators are almost as entertaining as the games being played.

Rich R.
12-17-2002, 12:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> Rich, don't forget that as a lot of the men are eliminated from the pro tourney, they head to the general admission table area where they play each other and anyone else who wishes to challenge on the $50./rack table around the clock; and other pros and action players who have converged on Valley Forge will be playing sets in the same area.

The crowd around the main table will rival that of the pro tourney in size; where many will take a personal stake in the outcome of every game, and in some cases, every shot, partial run-out, and all kinds of impromtu challenges. With a little judicious handicapping, you can recoup the cost of your whole trip and more within a few minutes to a couple of hours depending on your judgement and willingness to invest; or you can just watch the show, where the spectators are almost as entertaining as the games being played.
<hr /></blockquote>
Tom, I know what you are talking about, concerning the action on the challenge tables. Unfortunately, there is not sufficient seating there and due to back problems, I just can't stand there for too long.
Although I have nothing against the gambling, it is not really an attraction for me. I just don't have the interest in it, that it did when I was younger. By the time you figure out who is playing well and determine who is likely to dump, I just loose interest. I prefer a good tournament match. JMHO.

Lester
12-17-2002, 03:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Rich,

I just might make the drive next year... <hr /></blockquote>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;NOW YOU'RE TALKIN' TOM. I figured Barbara and Carol had already been planning something like that. ***Lester***

Barbara
12-17-2002, 03:25 PM
Yeah, right Lester!! Like I'd be more than happy to run yet ANOTHER tournament on top of the 5 that will be going off with over 1500 players. Oh, I have all the time in the world to do this!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I hope you didn't forget to put "a new crack-smoking pipe" on your list to Santa, 'cause you need one!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara~~~oh, and I'll have all the time in the world to play in it, too!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12-17-2002, 03:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> I hope you didn't forget to put "a new crack-smoking pipe" on your list to Santa, 'cause you need one!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif<hr /></blockquote>Oh oh. Barbara's going into VFSOD* mode already. Watch out, everybody!

*(Valley Forge Stress Overdrive)

CarolNYC
12-18-2002, 04:53 AM
Hi Lester,
As you know, we work the Expo, so time is definitely one thing we do not have!:)As for Barb, you may catch her running,counting, marking, refereeing, but I can guarantee you, she will never be in one spot for one minute-and definitely ,not handing out her addictive special roasted pecans-oh, for your safety, DO NOT ask the biggest guy at the door if his shirt is clearance!ha ha ha ha=out of curiosity,how many will be entering the the tournament? Maybe sweating some matches is possible!
Have a nice day!
Carol~buying new running reeboks for the expo!ha ha ha

9 Ball Girl
12-18-2002, 08:55 AM
Well, I've already made my hotel reservations. Figure I get there a day early. I'm probably going to play in the Amateur Women's tourney. Now I heard that if you play in one of the tourneys then you don't have to pay to get into the Pro tourneys or something like that?

Lester
12-18-2002, 12:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Yeah, right Lester!! Like I'd be more than happy to run yet ANOTHER tournament on top of the 5 that will be going off with over 1500 players. Oh, I have all the time in the world to do this!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I hope you didn't forget to put "a new crack-smoking pipe" on your list to Santa, 'cause you need one!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara~~~oh, and I'll have all the time in the world to play in it, too!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Well, I AM WOMAN - HEAR ME ROAR!!!!! I was only joshin' ya. I know how hard you work to make the tournaments happen. I've gotten dizzy just scanning the results boards looking for a friends name so I could sweat his match. Just keeping track of the matches, and making those results boards is beyond me. Carol too, for that matter, running all over the center all day. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
BTW - My old crack pipe is just fine, but thanks for the reminder. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif ***Lester***

Barbara
12-18-2002, 12:26 PM
Lester,

I was just poking at ya a little. Didn't you see the smiley faces???

Barbara /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CarolNYC
12-18-2002, 01:24 PM
Hey Wendy Lady,
NO-when you enter the amateur,which Im happy you are,(finally, a match to sweat:):):) you must purchase a separate pass to get into pro arena!
Carol

Wally_in_Cincy
12-18-2002, 01:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Lester,

I was just poking at ya a little. Didn't you see the smiley faces???

Barbara /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

He may have seen this:

<font color="blue"> With its claws extended, or protracted, the cat is able to hold its prey with a powerful grip. The fixed claws of dogs cannot grip. Dogs must use their jaws to hold objects
</font color>

http://www.lam.mus.ca.us/cats/C07/claw.gif

<font color="blue"> Note how a cat's claw protracts and retracts as the controlling muscle tenses and relaxes.
</font color>

Oh Shlt, Barbara's gonna hate me now. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

See the smiley faces /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Barbara
12-18-2002, 06:17 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Meeeoooowrrr!! Thsst thsst!!!

Barbara /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif