PDA

View Full Version : How do you measure your Progess ?

bigbro6060
12-16-2002, 08:53 PM
For me, i need to see concrete results. Results make me practice more and harder and spur me on. When i was running seriously, i would record everything, times per kilometre, overall times, heartrates at different paces etc etc. My progress was easy to track

With Pool, it's a bit harder to measure progress. I still record as much as can be recordable. E.g. stats on every break and Fargo scores. Fargo i think it quite a good guide to overall Pool skill. Sure it lacks things like safety play etc but overall it's not a bad indicator. It's fairly safe to say a player who averages 160 in Fargo will more often than not beat a player who averages 80 in Fargo

I also keep stats on some little games i made up for myself. E.g. i play these games called 2Ball, 3Ball, 4ball and 5ball. Remember i am practicing mainly to be a gun 8ball players (9ball is virtually non existent here in Oz). so for 2ball i break 2 solids, 2 stripes and the black. Have ball in hand and have to run out either solids or stripes. I have 30 innings and record how many times out of 30 i ran out. When i first started i would manage like 8 out of 30, now it's more like 27 out of 30. 3Ball is the same but break 3 solids and 3 stripes etc etc

so yeah it's all about measuring progress

then you have how you play against other players

I wish we had a ratings system in Australia like you guys have over there

how are the ratings done ?

phil in sofla
12-17-2002, 07:44 PM
You've got most of the ideas right there. Doing drills and keeping records lets you see changes over time. Playing scored games like equal offense, Fargo, Boca Ball or others, and keeping records does the same.

Who you are beating/losing to, and by what margins, is another measure, although that involves how the other person is playing as well as your performance. How you do in local tournaments would be another measure.

Or, impressionistically, just seeing yourself execute shots now you know you couldn't a while ago, or getting out on a tough layout that you know you wouldn't in the past, is another gauge.

There are any number of rating systems, Q-skills, the Koehler scoring system, and all of them will tell you something about progress if done on a repeated basis.

CarolNYC
12-18-2002, 05:07 AM
BB6060,
Personnally, how many racks I can run-publicly,it was 24 balls,ha ha ha-at home 40-when I can run 100 or more, then I'll be okay!
Carol:)~Jim Rempes tape-How to run 100 balls!

Icon of Sin
12-18-2002, 11:48 AM
I ran my first 9-ball rack the other day and what I started to do is create a document with the date and time that I finshed the run, everytime I run over 6 balls in 9-ball I record it in this document. Everytime I put the nine in on the snap or off the 1,2 or 3 ball and mean it (accidents dont count) i record it in this document. I also record shots that are extraordinary that I make also such as bank/kick combos and and 3 ball combos or cluster shots (all must be made the way they are intended, no accidental/luck shots).

I also do this and keep seperate documents for other games as well. I keep records of 6 balls or higher runs in straight pool. Plus im gonna start playing one Pocket and runs above 3 Balls I'll record in that seperate document.

Just keep good records and you'll see your progress.

I also do the same as you BIGBRO except in a 9-Ball. I throw out 2 balls, run them in order, then throw out 3 balls once they are run in order I throw out 4 balls, and so on and so on. Thats the basic way I drill, it forces me to try and get shape on the next ball in line as a full rack of 9 would. Also just started practicing kick shots and banks more often.

eg8r
12-18-2002, 01:08 PM
I used to spend a lot of time keeping statistics for a living, and I now hate it. I would never tell someone to do this on their own for recreation. LOL I am kidding, about hating stats. Anyways, Joe Tucker (a poster here on the board) has a great book called "Gauranteed Improvement" (I think that is the name of the book). Anyways, while this book is by no means directed at 8 ball, it is a great book to help you out overall. The shots you practice in the book are used in all the games you are going to play. There are plenty of extra sheets to continue writing in the results and keep track of your progress.

If you are interested I would recommend you PM Joe T and order one. I am sure you will be happy with the book.

eg8r <~~~Need to practice

silverbullet
12-18-2002, 08:06 PM
Imo, wins/losses is one way but has a double edged sword. if both players are consistent and I am gradually playing better against this person, than it appears to me that I am improving. if the other player is inconsistent,even if i beat them, i cannot be sure if i beat them because i improved or if the person was having an 'off' night.

i want consistency more than anything. i play super focussed, methodical and think a lot of strategy before making the shot. when i become a 3 for instance, i would like to be a good, consistent 3 than someone with a higher sl but who bounces around in terms of their play.

'perfect practice makes perfect'

blu

Ludba
12-19-2002, 12:55 AM
I keep track of everything: APA and BCA league matches, practice drills, amount of time spent, tournaments, practice games, money spent or earned while playing pool, etc. I'm fanatical about it. But fanatical or not, it's a hard thing to be completely comprehensive on, and I'm still working out an efficient system for myself. I keep paper records and then transfer it to excel sheets, which come in pretty handy for summarizing performance.

In addition to the statistics, I keep a sort of journal to fill in the gaps that numbers can't fill.

silverbullet
12-19-2002, 06:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ludba:</font><hr> I keep track of everything: APA and BCA league matches, practice drills, amount of time spent, tournaments, practice games, money spent or earned while playing pool, etc. I'm fanatical about it. But fanatical or not, it's a hard thing to be completely comprehensive on, and I'm still working out an efficient system for myself. I keep paper records and then transfer it to excel sheets, which come in pretty handy for summarizing performance.

In addition to the statistics, I keep a sort of journal to fill in the gaps that numbers can't fill. <hr /></blockquote>

gosh lubda. this method sounds great for experienced players so that they cannot lie to themselves.

at my level, i am seeing better play in matches as I acquire better skills. once I got over the confidence problem, i look forward to every match as an opportunity to do my best , improve my game learn something. i am very focussed, very methodical and try very hard to win. if i do not win, as long as i played a good match, played smart, i can go home and practice what i learned.

as i improve, i just hope i dont fall into that hot and cold stuff i see in so many apa players, even the 7s. as i have said here before, i would rather be a strong consistent 3 or 4 than a wobbly 7 who one week plays like a pro and the next week plays like a 3. disclaimer- i am not speaking of any particular 7, just observing many of them.

i dont understand this. maybe i am wrong and this is just my poolhall. true good 4s seem pretty consistent. have seen lots of inconsistency in some five but also very solid ones too. 6's, see lots of consistency in the good sixes. i see the problem in many (not all)7's. i think what apa tells them may be part of the problem. people in the ph look up to a seven like they are wow, he is a 7, gosh, ooh and all that stuff. and apa propagates the myth that when becoming a 7, the player is truly great. i used to think the same thing.

even though i havent been playing serious pool for very long,being on ccb and watching tournaments has opened my eyes. i have seen that there are skill levels way above the apa 7 and so that caused me to start noticing some things i guess.

but i have to ask, how can any player of any level put any confidence in their game and going into a match expecting certain results (ie to win or play well) if their play is all over the place.

blu

The Rhino Chaser
12-19-2002, 12:30 PM
The best way that I have found is by playing the ghost and recording the results. I play races to 5,7,or 9. Then I just track how many racks I'm running and races I'm winning. When I'm playing strongest I'm staying right with the ghost.

silverbullet
12-19-2002, 01:10 PM
Improvement in practice and being able to produce that skill in a match, imo are different things. That was my problem at first. Was playing well at home, and folding under the pressure in a match and then beating up on myself. As I got better skill wize and I started to believe in myself, my confidence in a match improved and my consistency too.

In practice, I do certain drills and pay special percentage to my success rate on certain shots. As my success rate goes up on those shots, I mean to like 70-80% then I can incorporate a few more difficult ones in my practice. This might be like cheating, but if I know of a difficult cut and want to have a chance to make it in a match if it turns out to be the right shot, I ask somebody better how to make it. Then if that one or a similar one comes up, my chances in matches are better. I ask about angle, ball speed and that kind of stuff. I do not really like english too much and I rarely use it.

blu

eg8r
12-19-2002, 04:07 PM
I recommend the book "Gauranteed Improvement". Joe T is a poster on the board and I am sure he still sells the book.

eg8r