PDA

View Full Version : Played a handicapped Gentlemen and...

Icon of Sin
12-18-2002, 10:03 AM
As you probably read from my other post, a few guys on my team went out last nite to get some practice. Well they all left what seemed to me as too early. After they left this guy in a wheelchar came up to me and said I'll play you a few games while I wait for my food, the guy must have been a regular there since everyone knew his name and stuff. I said sure, well the guy ran the first five balls, then I ran the next 3 and then he made the 9 ball. Didnt really surprise me that he could shoot this good, i kinda figured it, even if he was in a wheelchair. Strange this was how he shot, I cant really explain it but the gentleman had deformed hands too, but whatever he did worked for him. I left him a few long table shots (not on purpose) and felt kinda bad becuase I knew he couldnt lean across the table to make it in, but after I saw him make a few of those my feelings changed. We ended up playing 2 games and we both won one each. Although he sank more balls then I both matches. He was a damn good player, goes to show you shouldnt judge people by appearance.

btw, we were playing 9-Ball

12-18-2002, 10:11 AM
Like I was saying on a previous post, one of the best player I have played with is a friend of mine in a wheelchair. He once ran 7 racks of 9-ball in a row on me, and the other day played a run of 199 at 14.1. He came in second place a few weeks ago in an Open tournament. If I could play like him, I would head straight for the US Open!

snipershot
01-01-2003, 03:26 AM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif don't underestimate your opponent. Age, physical appearance, technique, none of these matter, what does matter is how well they really shoot. My strategy when I play a stranger or somebody for the first time is to assume that they are a better shot than I am, this way I will play my best game all the time.

Chris Cass
01-01-2003, 06:01 AM
Hi IOS,

You should be playing the table. As far as sticking him and feeling bad about it. Man, don't even go there. I'd hook the guy and leave him a jump shot to boot. Not trying to belittle you my friend but the best thing you can do with a challenged opponent is give them the same respect you would any other. I do know you have a good heart but in this game don't wear it on your sleve. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.

Rich R.
01-01-2003, 06:50 AM
There are many good players that happen to be in wheel chairs. Once in a while, ESPN/ESPN2 airs tournaments with some of these players. Watch and you will gain great respect for their playing skills.