PDA

View Full Version : How do you breath when you shoot?

12-18-2002, 10:04 AM
Breathing is one of the most important factors in most high skills sports and tasks but is often misunderstood or not even considered. In some cases, even the heart beat is critical!( ask a sniper, they actually pull the trigger at the end of expiration, between two heart beats, at which moment the body is the most still ) When you play pool, how do you breath? When you do your practice strokes and when it comes to finally hit the cue ball, at what point in your breathing do you actually shoot? Is there a breathing technique better than another?

Perk
12-18-2002, 11:30 AM
For me its on the exhale...I feel that my body is more relaxed at this point...But I dont think about it when playing. I was a Marine, and was also taught while shooting the rifle to process the pulling the trigger while in between breathes as well.

Relax muscles at my cpu practising breathing..

snipershot
12-29-2002, 04:11 AM
that's an interesting thought, it never crossed my mind but it definitely would affect your shot. When i shoot i try to stay as relaxed as possible so i would probably breathe regular the way i always do.

Icon of Sin
12-29-2002, 07:49 AM
I never thought of that either, i look at it as one less thing to think about.

silverbullet
12-29-2002, 10:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nineballwizard:</font><hr> Breathing is one of the most important factors in most high skills sports and tasks but is often misunderstood or not even considered. In some cases, even the heart beat is critical!( ask a sniper, they actually pull the trigger at the end of expiration, between two heart beats, at which moment the body is the most still ) When you play pool, how do you breath? When you do your practice strokes and when it comes to finally hit the cue ball, at what point in your breathing do you actually shoot? Is there a breathing technique better than another? <hr /></blockquote>

Breathing is something I do not have to think about it due to breathing training for other sports ie karate/running etc and also extensive training that yogis use called pranavayu. Learned how to breathe a long time ago. Also anyone who played a musical instrument such as a trumpet or trombone probably does not have to think about this.

bw

nmshooter
01-01-2003, 09:00 AM
I try to stay as relaxed as possible and breathe like normal without thinking about the way Im breathing. Sometimes my nerves will cause me to breathe a little faster.

I also have used that question as a sharking tactic at some times. I only used it on friends and never when money was on the line. When one of my friends was about to shoot or beat me when I first started playing some 10 years ago I would pose the question when he was about to shoot, "Do you breathe in or out when you shoot?" Oddly enough, most times they would think about the question and their breathing so much that they would forget to focus on the ball. They would miss, I would win. I know, I know.....Im a meanie.