PDA

View Full Version : Lawyers sue over toxic CUE CHALK

Wally_in_Cincy
12-18-2002, 10:45 AM
Excerpt from John Leo of Time:

Californians are victimized by cue chalk and chocolate.

Citing California's 1986 law requiring warning labels on dangerous chemicals, creative lawyers are suing over the unlabeled toxic substances in electrical tape, lightbulbs, game darts, hammers, cue chalk, terrariums, Slim-Fast, and chocolate, which contains traces of lead.

If you want to read about more frivilous lawsuits here's the complete article:

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/leo1.asp

12-18-2002, 11:09 AM
This planet is going nowhere! People are so desperates to make a quick buck! They forgot to sue the fishing gear companies because of the lead they use in the baits and for contaminating the water of the planet with it.

Cueless Joey
12-18-2002, 11:28 AM
And lOwyers complain why people HATE them.

Wally_in_Cincy
12-18-2002, 11:30 AM
Soon all pool cues will come with a warning.

"Could cause serious injury or death if bashed over somebody's head" /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Cueless Joey
12-18-2002, 11:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Soon all pool cues will come with a warning.

"Could cause serious injury or death if bashed over somebody's head" /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Wally, did you know BOXING gloves come with a warning now?
"Warning: Boxing is a contact sport. Participation could lead to injury or death."
DUH! I read that football helmets would cost 1 fifth they are now if they makers did not have to buy insurance on them.

Icon of Sin
12-18-2002, 12:24 PM
The lawyers probably never even tasted it. Maybe if they sat down and tried a peice of Chalk the would retract their lawsuit.

MMMmmmmmmm Chalk (in a homer simpson voice)

Wally_in_Cincy
12-18-2002, 12:26 PM
On a Magic 8 Ball:
Not advised for use as a home pregnancy test. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Actual warning labels:

http://www.johnsrealmonline.com/humor/warnings1.html

and some funny made-up warning labels:

http://www.murdomedia.net/text/warning.htm

silverbullet
12-18-2002, 08:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> And lOwyers complain why people HATE them. <hr /></blockquote>

I hear ya. My brother is an attorney and is probably the least sue prone lawyer I have met. Of course, trial law etc is not his specialty. He knows euffn da basics to give me free advice, but his specialty in corporate law. he says he helps rich people get richer.

i know i am predjudiced but i really admire my brother. he is a very nice, helpful person and humble and loves his wife and kids.

how is this pertinent to pool. noway xcept he supports my interest.

blu

sack316
12-20-2002, 03:02 AM
I've actually got a repair kit that has chalk and stuff and there is a warning label that says "warning: contents contain chemicals known to cause cancer by the state of California". maybe my smoking will counter-act this cancer and I'll be indestrucable (a-la Mr Burns on the simpsons).
On a side note, I know its hard to like lawyers, but I've worked at a few firms and every lawyer I've known has been a good person. I admit there are some BS claims out there, but keep in mind most of the time these guys (and gals) are fighting for someone who really beleives they have been wronged somehow

Rod
12-20-2002, 08:22 PM
Wally,
I posted on the lead in chalk long ago. Years ago I received a flyer that said, Don't Eat The Chalk! It went on to tell about the lead in chalk. Somewhere back then Masters green changed tint from a darker shade to a lighter more floresent shade of green. I still have several new peices of the old stuff. Its my guess, that was when they took the lead out. I don't know if there is any lead left in Masters but I'd bet it still might exist with some companys.

Wally_in_Cincy
12-21-2002, 11:45 AM
Lead affects the brain. Is that why some poolplayers are so goofy? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rod
12-21-2002, 05:13 PM
Wally, it explains my situation, too much chalk dust over the years! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I have an excuse but I'm wondering about those who haven't played that long. LOL

snipershot
12-29-2002, 03:48 AM
that's a typical lawyer for you, the next thing you know some idiot is gonna sue a chalk company when he gets sick after eating some chalk just so he can make some extra cash.

12-29-2002, 11:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Lead affects the brain. Is that why some poolplayers are so goofy? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I've always wondered this.

When I found out there was lead in chalk, I quit eating right after pool sessions untill I could wash the chalk off my hands, and I wash my hands alot more after pool sessions. I practice enough to go through 3 cubes of chalk in a couple months or so, and my hands are permanantly stained blue it seems.

Hmm... I'd rather sue the fast food company for not telling me that their product isn't good for my health. haha.