PDA

View Full Version : Who Has The Highest IQ? (continued)

TomBrooklyn
12-18-2002, 11:21 AM
Two pool players from Texas are playing pool. They have just enough money after paying for their table time to buy one 12 oz can of beer. They buy the beer and ask the bartender for two glasses. The bartender doesn't have 6 oz glasses, but because he originally came from NY and was a smart bartender, he gives them a 5 oz glass and a 7 oz glass. The Texans think about it for a minute and realize that by just using the glasses and the can they can measure out the beer exactly in half. How did they do it? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cueless Joey
12-18-2002, 01:09 PM
One guy pours beer at the 7 oz glass. Then pours it to the 5 oz glass. He drinks the remaining 2 oz. Does this 3 times. Wallah, 6 oz.
The other guy drinks the other remaining 6 oz.
I doubt if they were from Texas. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

nAz
12-18-2002, 01:25 PM
why not just let the winner of the match drink the 7 oz and the loser the 5 oz?

TomBrooklyn
12-18-2002, 01:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> Does this 3 times. Wallah, 6 oz.<hr /></blockquote>Nice try, but thats not it Joey. They have to both have their six ounces before they start to drink them.

Cueless Joey
12-18-2002, 01:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> Does this 3 times. Wallah, 6 oz.<hr /></blockquote>Nice try, but thats not it Joey. They have to both have their six ounces before they start to drink them. <hr /></blockquote>
OK ask for two 7 oz glass, pour beer to the 7 oz glass. Dump the 5 oz to the 5 oz glass. Pour the 2 oz to a separate 7 oz glass glass. Pour the 5 oz back to the 7 oz glass. Pour two more from the can. Dump the 5 oz to the 5 oz glass. Dump the 2 oz to the separarate glass (already has 4 oz). Pour back the 5 oz to the 7 oz glass. Pour two more oz from the can. Transfer it to the 5 oz glass, dump the remaining 2 oz to the separate 7 oz glass. Waalah, 6 oz.

=k=
12-18-2002, 02:33 PM
gosh joey !! wouldn't your beer go flat with all the pouring?? sounds like a plan though..

TomBrooklyn
12-18-2002, 02:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> OK ask for two 7 oz glass<hr /></blockquote>Sorry, the bartender went on break and can't give you another glass. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif You have to work with only the two glasses and the can, you can't use anything else. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif But you don't need anything else!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fred Agnir
12-18-2002, 03:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> Two pool players from Texas are playing pool. They have just enough money after paying for their table time to buy one 12 oz can of beer. They buy the beer and ask the bartender for two glasses. The bartender doesn't have 6 oz glasses, but because he originally came from NY and was a smart bartender, he gives them a 5 oz glass and a 7 oz glass. The Texans think about it for a minute and realize that by just using the glasses and the can they can measure out the beer exactly in half. How did they do it? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>
I'm sure there's a quicker way, but I come up with 10 pours back and forth until there's 1 oz left in the can, 6 oz. in the 7 oz glass, and 5 oz. in the 5oz. glass.

Guy #1 drinks from the can and the 5oz. glass.

C 7 5 (Vessels)
------------

5 7 0
5 2 5
10 2 0
10 0 2
3 7 2
3 4 5
8 4 0
8 0 4
1 7 4
1 6 5

Fred &lt;~~~ would rather guess 6oz in the 7oz glass on first pour

Barbara
12-18-2002, 05:59 PM
Thank you Fred!!! How the heck to get 1 ounce in wherever is what did it in for me!!

Barbara~~~at least 100 points below Fred's IQ...

silverbullet
12-18-2002, 06:20 PM
sorry. my malamute is smarter than all people. malamutes are smart enough to play dumb so that the dumb people wont know that they are not the smartest species.ROFL

blu

TomBrooklyn
12-18-2002, 08:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> I'm sure there's a quicker way, but I come up with 10 pours back and forth until there's 1 oz left in the can, 6 oz. in the 7 oz glass, and 5 oz. in the 5oz. glass. Guy #1 drinks from the can and the 5oz. glass.
<hr /></blockquote>Very good Fred! I don't think there is a quicker way. I had it in eleven pours. Lets see if anyone else gets it.....without peeking.

Fred Wins ...so far, ...for now ...until the next puzzle... /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

cheesemouse
12-19-2002, 12:58 AM
The quickest way would be to hand the first glass of beer to Chris Cass and let him drop it then the problem would be solved. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TomBrooklyn
12-19-2002, 04:34 PM
If anyone else wants to try it, it works with 3, 5 and 8 also.

If you were a king and had 8 quarts of precious Frankincense oil and you saw a sign that the King of All Kings was born on earth and you wanted to follow that sign and visit him to pay homage; and if you wanted to bring him a gift of half of your frankincense oil, but you only had a 3 quart vessel and a 5 quart vessel, because say it was a long long time ago, and glass and tupperware had not been invented yet, could you figure out how to divide the frankincense exactly in half?

Cueless Joey
12-20-2002, 03:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> If anyone else wants to try it, it works with 3, 5 and 8 also.

If you were a king and had 8 quarts of precious Frankincense oil and you saw a sign that the King of All Kings was born on earth and you wanted to follow that sign and visit him to pay homage; and if you wanted to bring him a gift of half of your frankincense oil, but you only had a 3 quart vessel and a 5 quart vessel, because say it was a long long time ago, and glass and tupperware had not been invented yet, could you figure out how to divide the frankincense exactly in half? <hr /></blockquote>
Dump 5 quart to 5 qt. vessel, transfer the 3 qts to the 3 qt. vessel. You have 2 qts left at the 5 qt vessel. Dump the 3 qts back to the 8 qt one. Dump the 2 qts to the 3 qt. v. Now you have 6 qts on the 8 qt. v. Dump 5 qts to the 5 qt. v., dump one qt from that to the 3 qt.v filling it up. Wallah, 3 there and one in the 8 qtr. Dump the 3 qts to the 8 qtr. Give it to the king.

TomBrooklyn
12-21-2002, 06:28 PM
Well done.

TomBrooklyn
12-21-2002, 07:08 PM
Four women are going to a NEWT Tournement. Let's call them Barbara, Carol, Fran, and Lorri.

They need to cross a bridge to get to the tournement. It is night and they only have 1 flashlight. There is a further problem that the bridge can only hold 2 people. Each of the ladies has her own walking speed, but they need to share a flashlight so a pair can only go as fast as the slower person.

Barbara takes 1 minute to cross the bridge.
Carol takes 2 minutes to cross the bridge.
Fran takes 5 minutes to cross the bridge, and
Lorri takes 10 minutes to cross the bridge.

The tournement start in only 17 minutes. Can they all make it on time so that no one has to forfeit the first match? Assume that the time to get from the bridge to the pool hall is negligible.

nAz
12-21-2002, 11:05 PM
2+1 cross = 2 minutes
1 returns = 1 minutes
5+10 cross = 10 minutes
2 returns = 2 minute
2 + 1 cross = 2 minutes
that is 17 minutes. took me freakin 30 mins to figure out

~nAz the astute

Alfie
12-22-2002, 05:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> They need to cross a bridge to get to the tournement. It is night and they only have 1 flashlight. There is a further problem that the bridge can only hold 2 people. Each of the ladies has her own walking speed, but they need to share a flashlight so a pair can only go as fast as the slower person. <hr /></blockquote> And, if the bridge is in New York, they will need toll money for the privilege.

:-)

TomBrooklyn
12-22-2002, 08:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr>that is 17 minutes. took me freakin 30 mins to figure out<hr /></blockquote>Very good. Naz is King Of The Hill! Have to go find another puzzle now. lol

Vapros
12-22-2002, 12:24 PM
I can't believe this is still hanging after four days. Fill the 5 oz glass and pour the contents into the 7 oz glass. Then fill the 5 oz glass again and pour enough to fill the 7 oz glass (2 oz), leaving 3 oz in the 5 oz glass. Use a bit of cue chalk to make a mark on the outside of the 5 oz glass, right there at the 3 oz level.
Empty the 7 oz glass back into the can and pour the 3 oz from the 5 oz glass into the 7 oz glass. Then, from the can, pour beer into the 5 oz glass up to the mark you have made, and then pour that 3 oz amount into the 7 oz glass, making an even 6 oz. The can is left with the remaining 6 oz to solve this puzzle.

I recently had my IQ tested. It was either 98.6 or 6 7/8, I can't remember which.

TomBrooklyn
12-22-2002, 08:57 PM
Pretty close, Vapros, but you may not mark the glass with chalk. You were getting pretty close to acomplishing it without the chalk anyway.