PDA

View Full Version : Dale Perry Cue on E Bay

tateuts
12-18-2002, 09:46 PM
I collect cues (not too serious) but I am serious about playing. I was very curious about Dale Perry's cues, having seen them on E-Bay. I've seen a few that I really liked, with a certain understated elegance, but I was apprehensive about their playability.

So I bought a DP cue on E-bay. It's a 6 pointer with a gorgeous burl forearm - just stunning. Here's what I found: His workmanship is flawless. At 19.5 ounces, the cue is beautifully balanced and feels like a lighter stick. It plays beautifully.

I play with a Paul Mottey shafted Schon. The dimensions of the DP cue are nearly identical to my Schon and with the stainless joint the two cues feel pretty much the same.

Anyway, if all his cues play like this one, they are a real bargain.

Thanks for reading!

Chris

Popcorn
12-19-2002, 12:17 AM
You know what is interesting, not that long ago there were some cuemakers selling a few cues on ebay with assumed names or by friends. I guess because they felt it may be a little demeaning selling on ebay. In the beginning ebay was like a garage sale. Now it is different though, ebay is a legitimate market place and it is not at all demeaning to sell on there. Cuemakers like Dale sell cues on there under their own names now and you can get a good price and know you are dealing with the cuemaker.

Cueless Joey
12-19-2002, 01:05 AM
Dale Perry is a fine cuemaker but how many "one of a kind" is gonna hock at Ebay?

Popcorn
12-19-2002, 09:15 AM
I think what he is doing is great. The question should be, why aren't other cuemakes doing it. If you take into account what it takes to sell cues, you have to travel to tournaments, attend trade shows, spend thousands on magazine adds that don't pay off. Take custom orders from neurotic customers who call every ten minutes changing the order or bugging you about the cue. I think creating the cue first and offering it up for sale the same as an artist does with a painting is a nice way to do business. Why would you knock the way someone does business? The Internet and ebay especially, opens the door to the whole world for a small businessman that would have never been posable in the past. I know a lot of cuemakers, and most don't have a pot to piss in. They should look at a guy like Dale who is successful and take a lesson in business. Why would anyone want to ignore such a large market place and it does not even cost you anything? Do they think they are above it? I go to the trade shows and I see the so called high end cue makers trying to sell their cues. The market for high end cues (meaning expensive), is very very small. I was at one show and one cuemaker there (very well known) told me he only came to get rid of some high end cues, some he had, had for several years. They just don't sell. The biggest market for cues is the middle class, working class player. They buys cues in the $400. to $800. range and that is where the real money is in the business. By the way, they are the kind of people that look at ebay. Back to your original point, you are knocking the man because he offers his product for sale? How do you suggest he sell, telepathically?

Cueless Joey
12-19-2002, 10:22 AM
I have nothing against DP selling off Ebay.
Never mind that the people who bought their cues off him just lost resale value b/c DP sells on Ebay but how many cues is he gonna sell there and calling them "one of a kind". Even his sneaky petes have "one of a kind" label sometimes.

Popcorn
12-19-2002, 11:06 AM
I am sure they are one of a kind. Nobody should be buying a cue because they have some idea it is going up in value. That is not why you buy a cue. Besides from what I see the cues always seem to bring a fair market price. Another factor is the exposure he gets. His email address is right there and you can get to his web site. I am sure he get more personal contacts from ebay by people who don't necessarily buy the cue offered, but eventually order a custom cue, or send a cue for a repair or new shaft. Then he ever got from any of his expensive full color magazine adds that cost a $1000. a pop. Even if a cuemaker puts on a cue and sets a reserve at full retail and it does not sell. He will be getting exposure he could not get any other way without spending a lot of money. Like I said, The question is why aren't other cuemakers doing it.

Harold Acosta
12-19-2002, 04:46 PM
Barringer Custom Cues is also offering at Ebay. He has even offered reconditioning of any shaft with a Moori tip for a fixed price. This type of service is good for everyone, I believe.

I recently suggested two cuemakers I know to put up their cues for sale at Ebay. I haven't seen them yet but I believe sooner or later they will come to Ebay.

John G
12-19-2002, 06:15 PM
Popcorn; Thank you. You expressed my feelings, and probably a lot of other good cuemakers, perfectly. A lot of us do it as a way to give back to a game that we love, (it aint for the money). But if it is for the money, why should a craftsman be ashamed to show his work and why isn't he/she entitled to earn a living doing his craft. John G