PDA

View Full Version : Grey Ghost B/J cues -- -- Review

Rich R.
12-19-2002, 09:19 AM
Last month some of you may have seen a post by Voodoo about the Grey Ghost break/jump cues, that he and Pete Ohman were working on.
http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=ccb&Number=47316&Forum=All _Forums&Words=Voodoo%20Daddy&Match=Username&Search page=1&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=47316&Search=tru e#Post47316
Based on Voodoo's recommendation, I ordered one and received it yesterday, just in time to go to my league playoffs.

Altough I only used it for one evening, I have to tell you all that I really like this cue. The workmanship and finish of the cue were first rate, as expected after seeing some other Omen cues back in September. It has a very solid hit and great balance, which is a selling point for me. The tip is extremely hard, but not so much that you loose cue ball control. Pete has told me that any new cue will seem to play better after a few weeks of seasoning. This cue is very nice to start with and I look forward to the next few weeks. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My league is APA and the use of a jump cue is not allowed, and I didn't have any solo time at the table last night to experiment, so I can not give you any opinion on jumping with this cue. I am not very proficient in jumping, yet, so I may not be the best one to review those aspects of this cue.

I believe there were a limited number of these cues being made, and I do not know if any are available, but if you are in the market for a jump/break cue, this one should be considered. I'm sure you can contact Voodoo, or Pete Ohmen directly, for the details.

By the way, I won my match last night, hill/hill, and my team won the championship (8-Ball) for tier one of our division. I don't know if the cue helped, but it didn't hurt. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Is any body interested in a Sledgehammer? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MikeM
12-19-2002, 05:03 PM
Mine should be here sometime next week. I'll report the results.

Glad to hear you like yours Rich. Which one did you get? Mine will be cocobolo. Pete said this was the last he had currently available.

MM

Rich R.
12-20-2002, 05:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MikeM:</font><hr> Mine should be here sometime next week. I'll report the results.

Glad to hear you like yours Rich. Which one did you get? Mine will be cocobolo. Pete said this was the last he had currently available.

MM <hr /></blockquote>
Mike, I believe great minds must think alike. I got the cocobolo also. I am an absolute nut for cocobolo. I love that wood. I do believe you will like it. Please let us know.

MikeM
01-17-2003, 08:47 AM
OK it's finally time to post a review of my GG. I got it just after Christmas and haven't had much practice time since then. I have used it a few times now and have to say it is a very nice cue. Gorgeous piece of cocobolo for the handle and I really like the gray-dyed forearm as well. The maple shaft is VERY stiff like you would expect in a break cue. The tip is phenolic so it is very hard. The hardest tip I had played previously was a Talisman Extra Hard Water Buffalo on my McDermott b/j cue.

Performance-wise this cue propels the cueball with more velocity than any other cue I've hit with. Breaking has never been a strong part of my game and I'm really struggling to control my breaks with it. I'm considered a lethal weapon in the PH with this thing. The other night I decided to really let one rip and in my enthusiasm hit the top half of the cueball which made it jump and catch the top of the headball and it launched into the air. It just missed crashing through the light on the next table, bounced about four feet in the air off of that one, just missed the woman preparing for her shot and smacked the next table before rolling all over the place.

The rest of the night I broke much softer but still made a ball or two almost every time. I think once I get a better feel for this cue it will really raise my game. It's got a very high quality feel to the hit even when not breaking. And it looks great.

MM

Rich R.
01-17-2003, 09:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MikeM:</font><hr> The tip is phenolic so it is very hard.<hr /></blockquote>
Mike, I'm not sure I agree with you about the tip material. I was under the impression that it was a very hard leather tip (possibly a Triangle) and may have been hardened further by Pete O.
I do know that it is much different than the tip on my Sledgehammer B/J cue, which definitely has a solid phenolic tip. I have much more cue ball control with the Omen B/J. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Other than that, I agree with your assessment. Even with my whimpy break, I have increased the number of times I make balls on the break, with the Omen cue.
How are you doing, using it as a jump cue. Although I am not very experienced at jumping, I was having more success jumping with the Sledgehammer, than I am having with the Omen. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I am sure that my poor technique has more to do with that than the cue.

Popcorn
01-17-2003, 09:23 AM
In all seriousness, how can you review a cue you have only played with for a few minutes and not even attempted to jump a ball with? If you want to be a reviewer, you have to do the work involved. You have to pick that cue apart and see what you really think of it and that takes a little time and knowledge. Be honest, fair and objective.

Rich R.
01-17-2003, 10:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> In all seriousness, how can you review a cue you have only played with for a few minutes and not even attempted to jump a ball with? If you want to be a reviewer, you have to do the work involved. You have to pick that cue apart and see what you really think of it and that takes a little time and knowledge. Be honest, fair and objective. <hr /></blockquote>
I believe I was being "honest, fair and objective." If I was trying to deceive any one, I would not have made the fact, that I had limited experience with the cue, so clear.
Maybe I made a bad choice, by using the word "Review" in the subject heading, but, I just did not want to type "my initial impressions after limited use".
It has been a month since my initial post and I stand by what I said. The Omen B/J is a quality cue and my breaking success rate has increased with the use of this stick.
As I stated in a response to MikeM's post, I have not had similar success using it for jumping balls. Since I am not very experienced at jumping, I would not consider myself to be a good measure for the quality of this cue as a jump stick.

I welcome any one elses opinion on the Omen B/J cue. I know there were a number of them in production and I can't believe MikeM and I were the only CCB'ers to get one.

I don't intend to be a professional reviewer and when I posted this thread, I meant it to be no more than one honest man's opinion. I'm sorry if I chose my words poorly.

01-17-2003, 11:09 AM
Hey Popcorn, what's wrong? Wake up on the wrong side of bed this morning? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jimbo

Chris Cass
01-17-2003, 11:52 AM
Hi Popcorn,

That wasn't the impression I got from Rich or Mikes post. I thought it was a straight up respectful opinion on a what seems to be another great product from Pete Omen. I'm always interested on what's new and innovative in the billiard market and appreciate those who put their personal opinions on the products. Especially, from the CCBers. JAT

JMHO,

C.C.~~wondering what the tip is made from now?

Popcorn
01-17-2003, 12:10 PM
I will tell you where I am coming from. I read several other boards on subjects I don't really have much knowledge in. I have been steered wrong more then once. When someone pays money for something they often are not objective about their purchase. Then later after they sell it, they will say it was a piece of junk. No one wants to admit they got stuck. I am just always a little skeptical that's all. I just thought he may have been a little quick with his assessment of the cue based on the amount he has used it. I just never like to steer anyone wrong if I can help it and I may be a little more reserved myself.

Rich R.
01-17-2003, 01:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I will tell you where I am coming from. I read several other boards on subjects I don't really have much knowledge in. I have been steered wrong more then once. When someone pays money for something they often are not objective about their purchase. Then later after they sell it, they will say it was a piece of junk. No one wants to admit they got stuck. I am just always a little skeptical that's all. I just thought he may have been a little quick with his assessment of the cue based on the amount he has used it. I just never like to steer anyone wrong if I can help it and I may be a little more reserved myself. <hr /></blockquote>
Popcorn, I highly recommend that you take my, and everyone elses, opinion with a very large grain of salt. After all, they are just opinions. What I like in a cue may be the exact opposite of what you like in a cue. All I can do, is give you MY honest opinion.

01-17-2003, 02:17 PM
Popcorn,
That seems reasonable and I figured it was something like that. Personally I always consider what I paid for the information and consider that it's probable value! LOL

Jimbo

MikeM
01-17-2003, 02:43 PM
Well I for one don't want to be a reviewer. Just a friend passing along some impressions of a new cue. If you want your money back I'll be glad to give you a refund.

I have tried jumping with it and it jumps very nicely. But I've only been playing pool for two years, so what the hell do I know?

In the future skip my posts, because I rarely have enough time to devote to pool and certainly not enough knowledge to help someone like you.

MM

01-17-2003, 03:35 PM
What was the price on the cue?

Voodoo Daddy
01-17-2003, 09:12 PM
Popcorn, your a old school guy I can tell by your post's. Your recent post to my deleima was taken with appreciation. Now I will give you my reveiw on the Grey Ghost. I make NO MONEY from these cues and after 23 years of playing I think I have a handle on whats good and what isnt. I put my neck on the line for this product. These are also people I know and like, NEVER would I sell a bad bill of goods.

If they didnt like what they got, I would have made good on the cues...ME, not anyone else because my word is golden. I have a great reputation in the pool world and wont soil it for anyone or anything. The so-called league players benefit from men like you and I, why would I steer good people wrong? In closing I wanna say that ANYONE that buys a cue on my word has the option to get outta the deal &lt;unless its a strange custom order of course&gt;...period!!

CarolNYC
01-18-2003, 05:59 AM
"I have a great reputation in the pool world "
And thats a "FACT JACK!"
Carol:)

CarolNYC
01-18-2003, 06:02 AM
Hey Rich,
Not to get off the subject of the cue-Voodoo did show me a cue out in Florida and it was quite beautiful!
You won the APA-does this mean you go to Valley forge to play the APA?
Carol

Rich R.
01-18-2003, 07:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Hey Rich,
Not to get off the subject of the cue-Voodoo did show me a cue out in Florida and it was quite beautiful!
You won the APA-does this mean you go to Valley forge to play the APA?
Carol <hr /></blockquote>
Voodoo had a number of beautiful Omen cues at the U.S. Open. They are first rate cues and should be considered by any one in the market for a new stick.

The APA does not sponsor any of the amateur events at VF. I believe T.A.P sponsors the team competition.
Some day, when I finally get my game together, I may enter the Seniors tournament at VF, but that won't be happening this year.

My team only won our Division Championship for 8-Ball.
Next, my APA team will play in the Regional APA Tri-Annual Tournament, 64 teams from the region, which begins in a few weeks. The top 16 teams qualify for the Las Vegas Qualifier tournament, later in the spring. I believe the top 6 teams in that tournament go to Vegas for the APA National Tournament.
In APA, it is a long road to get to the Vegas tournament.

MikeM
01-18-2003, 08:21 AM
Will,

I paid $345 that included delivery and joint protectors. This was a limited edition and I got the last one he had. It is number 1. He had used it as a demo, that's why Number 1 went last.

Personally I think I got a good deal and if Pete becomes famous one day - and he has the talent to - then it could turn out to be a great deal. And in the meantime I'll have to learn to control this beast!

MM