PDA

View Full Version : CONCENTRATION

bigbro6060
12-19-2002, 08:09 PM
Concentration in proper matches for me is no problem. I'm so competitive that i always play better because i concentrate better in matches

In Practice and also when playing 'muck around' games with mates, that is when my concentration can go and it's not funny how badly my game can drop off when i don't concentrate

Doesn't anyone else have concentration problems when playing very social games ?

Tom_In_Cincy
12-19-2002, 09:15 PM
No.. not a problem at all.. when you compete, you concentrate, when you are banging balls around, you don't.

Do you have a problem with being able to concentrate when you need to?

Cueless Joey
12-20-2002, 03:19 AM
I think I need to play straight-pool instead of just practicing. Either that or I play the ghost more often.

Karatemom
12-20-2002, 04:06 AM
I agree with Tom. If I'm playing a match, or just playing with a friend, I usually don't have any trouble concentrating (except for lately /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif). There's something about the competition, whether it be for the money or just for the win, that triggers the concentration level. However, I do find that if I'm practicing by myself, I have a hard time concentrating. Just can't seem to focus on any one particular thing. No competition, no focus, no drive. I would guess that if you could pick one particular part of your game that needs some work (long cuts would be mine), and practiced just those shots, you'd have no problem with focus. You've got to have some structure to your practice.

I hope that made sense. I know what I'm trying to say, but saying it is another story /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif.

JMHO,

Heide

cheesemouse
12-20-2002, 06:56 AM
Big,
I have to be the worst player on earth for funzzy. I play just like a teenager behind a six=pack of Mountain Dew. I love to play social pool as it allows me to play without thinking and I can take any crazy shot that pops into my head which rarely results in excellent pool which is alright on occasion but if I play too much social pool it will lower my 'blood' game. Thankfully I do have the discipline to govern my practice sessions but even then I have to use things that have a carrot on the end of the stick like Q-skills, 14.1 or my personal set of drills that has a score card. Sometimes in competition when I'm hopelessly down in a match I will make a sweater bet with someone watching just to try and pump myself up to get focused. When I play the 'ghost' here at home I put something on it like Hershey bars( I love chocolate and so does my Basset Hound ). All I have to do is yell out that I'm playing the ghost and my dog will come wondering into the poolroom and watch in hopes that I will win us a treat. I talk to him about my options on shots. Sometimes he disagrees with my choose and will bark and give me that 'get real' look and I will know he's right and I will take the smart shot...sounds crazy but as they say "know yourself" and I know that I need something on it before I can CONCENTRATE on good play. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SPetty
12-20-2002, 12:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesemouse:</font><hr> ( I love chocolate and so does my Basset Hound ). <hr /></blockquote>Hi cheesemouse,

I almost panicked when I read this, because "everyone" knows you're not supposed to feed chocolate to dogs. It can make them very sick or can even kill them.

So, I researched it a little bit on the internet and came up with a couple of sites you might want to visit. Although it might take a little more than just one candy bar to kill your big basset hound, it still might not be a good idea to give him chocolate.

http://www.talktothevet.com/ARTICLES/DOGS/chocolatetoxic.HTM

http://www.firstaidforpets.com/advice/article1.htm

I was going to PM this to you, but thought it couldn't hurt just in case others hadn't heard that dogs and chocolate don't go together well... (Unless your dog tastes like peanut butter!) eewww! hahahaha /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

silverbullet
12-20-2002, 12:43 PM
yep. that is what my vet always told me. once my malamute counter surfed and ate a large piece of chocolate cake left by my son.

i called the vet in panic, to which they asked his weight. when i told them 100 pounds, they said he would have to eat more than that but to watch him.

so while the effects are somewhat related to size of dog per amt consumed, some dogs are more sensitive to it just like some people are allergic to beestings.

blu

snipershot
12-20-2002, 01:23 PM
i think concentration depends on how long you have been playing for, if you've been playing for hours on end your mind and your focus will tend to wander, but playing a competitive match, i go into a mode were i have nothing but total concentration from beginning to end, playing a social game with friends intensity depends on what (if anything) is at stake, if we play for money or even just a beer concentration isn't a problem at all.

Allan
12-20-2002, 02:05 PM
My dog ate a bar of chocolate once and we called the vet. After explaining to him how big our dog is and how big the piece of chocolate was he said not to worry about it but to induce vomit just incase. So he said to give him a cap full of hydrogen peroxide. As we called the dog over for his medicine he was anxious and excited to get his "treat". As soon as it went down his throat he had a "OMG what the hell did you just give me" look on his face and instantly wanted to go outside. Not 2 seconds later....projectile vomit.... while he barely cleared the doorway. He never ate chocolate again...

Allan

bigbro6060
12-20-2002, 05:07 PM
Goes without saying that it is when playing social games with friends who are 'crap' that it is hardest to concentrate

I often end up playing down to their level

cheesemouse
12-20-2002, 07:19 PM
SPetty,
Your correct, everybody does know chocolate is bad for dogs. My Mickey Doozer only gets very small little pieces, he is eight years and has been having his chocolates since six months. I appreciate your concern and would advise others to avoid giving their dogs chocolate even in small amounts but my dog knew what he was gettting when he picked me as his master...I probably shouldn't mention that I feed him chicken bones, huh????? LOL LOl /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Rod
12-20-2002, 08:41 PM
Quote SPetty, because "everyone" knows you're not supposed to feed chocolate to dogs.

Well not quite everyone!! There is always little ole me. So that's why old Shep was spinning around in circles. He then spun around on his back and kicked his legs up, Hell I thought he was Break Dancing!!!! ha ha ha /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Honestly I didn't know about dogs and chocolate. I knew about chicken bones though.