PDA

View Full Version : question for grady, sardo rack, percentages

03-11-2002, 03:08 PM
Grady,
Percentage wise, what's the most effective break for a sardo rack, with the nine on the spot? Does the soft break really increase an open's player chances on making a ball? Also, what about all the clutter it seems to create. Does it affect how often an open player will get out? BTW, you give excellent commentary on Accu-Stats tape. you seem to be the only one who actually uses the telestrator. thanks,

Drake
03-11-2002, 04:26 PM
I'm no Grady. But I do have three accu-stat tapes from last years's open. You can't argue with results. I believe 7 out of the top 10 finishers were using a soft to moderate speed cut break.....Drake.

Jay M
03-12-2002, 07:33 AM
I was warming up before my match and Bustamonte was on the table next to me with Parica and Immonen. They were talking about the breaks and Bustamonte said he had tried more than 20 breaks from various locations on the table with full power and didn't sink a ball on any of them. I'd have to say that with the 9 on the spot, the cut break is the way to go.

Jay M

Grady
03-12-2002, 08:08 AM
At first I didn't like the soft break but upon reflection I realized that guys without great breaks, like me, could even up the playing field. Also over 90% of the pros won't give a good or fair rack if they are allowed to rack the balls.
On the con side of the issue the soft break seems like it's not even pool and especially not 9 Ball.
When I'm thinking correctly and I'm planning to go to an event I find out what the rules are and what type of equipment is going to be used and I attempt to practice on that scenario, as close as I can anyway.
Corey is to be complimented on his acumen regarding the soft break. He had been practicing it every day for months and the results were evident.Of course he has as good a hard break as anybody in the world too.
Ok, to answer the last portion of your query, if I were to use the soft break I like playing the one ball in the side pocket if the two ball is racked in one of the two positions behind the 9 Ball.If it isn't and a corner ball is going about every time I like to play position on the One ball in the side pocket.All of these things will require much practice, of course and good luck to you.

Tom_In_Cincy
03-12-2002, 03:27 PM
I had the opportunity to watch the US Open last year and it was an event any pool player needs to experience.

The soft breaks just made it boring. I like the thunder breaks of Johnny Archer and Corey D.... but the soft break seemed to be the dominate way to break.. Even Johnny Archer was trying it. I would not say these soft breaks were medium hits.. more like the speed of a table length one rail bank. With the one ball being the ball you are banking from the foot spot. Maybe just a tad.. harder than this..

One of the funny things that I did witness was the thunder breaks of the Russian Kid Stalev. He broke so hard that ALL of the balls ended up behind the head string.. almost defeating the whole purpose of the thunder break. He did this quite a few times... it was impressive and remarkable to say the least.

Soft breaks do tend to increase the accuracy of your aim and can and do spread the balls around and a pretty good chance of pocketing the wing balls too. You can still make the one ball in the side pocket with the correct break speed.. (a little harder that what I would consider a soft breat...)

03-12-2002, 03:48 PM
thanks for taking the time to reply. but what i really wanted to know is if the one ball goes in consistently enough that it puts a player who is breaking hard at a statistical disadvantage. i've never had the opportunity to break with a sardo rack, but have to this week in a tournament. i'm wondering if i can figure it out in time or should i just break like i usually do. if i'm not a statistical disadvantage breaking hard than i would just rather do that, instead of wasting breaks trying to figure it out. i saw earl strickland try it in a middle of a match and it didn't work well.

Tom_In_Cincy
03-12-2002, 06:21 PM
If you are playing against players that have the same disadvantage of not playing using the Sardo.. then you are on equal ground. If they have experience, then you are at a disadvantage. I would recommend breaking like you normally do and ACCEPT the results like you would with any break. Keep it out of you head. Just accept it, and go on.. with the game..