PDA

View Full Version : Best Weekly tourneys in your area?

Perk
12-20-2002, 10:20 AM
Since weekly tourneys tend to be less costly to enter, and obviously more frequent, what is the best in your area?

Detroit has 2 that come to mind. (9' tables)
Wednesday Plush Pockets $15.00 100-200 added Handicapped 9ball
Thursday Hall Of Fame $20.00 200 added OPEN 9ball

These tourneys have great turnouts every week. The Open tourney has great shooters including local pros all the time, and quite frequently some top Pros pop in along the way.

The downside might be that there isnt a Players Meeting (calcutta). But for 15/20 dollars, you can really judge your talents and play with the best.

ChrisW
12-20-2002, 11:22 AM
Tuesdays and Thursdays (1 night 8-ball the other 9-ball)
$5.00 entry + $2.00 GF
Some of the best players around show up every week.

Thursday 8-ball
NO Entry Fee ($5.00/player added)
Satuday 8-ball
$2.00 w/$5.00 added

There are other good tourneys around but these are the ones I hear about.

Chris

The Rhino Chaser
12-20-2002, 01:35 PM
Perk;
Doesn't Hall of Fame billiards have a Monday handicapped tourney. How is the turnout for that one. I'm planning on playing in Thursday tourney next week. Do you normally play in the Thursday event? There is a Monday tourney at Airway Billiards in Dayton Oh. It's only a five dollar entry no calcutta. It does however draw the local pros and heavy's from the Dayton and Columbus area.

Perk
12-20-2002, 02:05 PM
HOF on mondays is handicapped ....7 pm...20.00 $100.00 added.....I dont get down to Detroit much (I am north of Grand Rapids), but I enter when I am down there. All the tourneys there have pretty good turnouts..even the handicapped ones get some champs sometimes...the thursday open is tops though.....Good luck thursday, let us know how ya do...

Fred Agnir
12-20-2002, 02:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote The Rhino Chaser:</font><hr> There is a Monday tourney at Airway Billiards in Dayton Oh. It's only a five dollar entry no calcutta. It does however draw the local pros and heavy's from the Dayton and Columbus area. <hr /></blockquote>
This by far is the best weekly tournament that I've ever had the pleasure of playing. $5 dollar entry that attracts over 50 players every week. At one time, World Champions Steve Cook and the late Gary Spaeth were there every week, neither the favorites to win. National VNEA champion Frank Ruby and teammate Jason Miller were two of the favored every week. Jason, the best player out of Dayton, won the event some 12 times in a row. An extremely strong amount of talent, regardless of entry amount.

Fred

Tom_In_Cincy
12-20-2002, 05:05 PM
Airways Billiards has been running this tournament since the late 80s. One of the best run, or maybe the best, DE $5 entry (always 50+ players) I have ever seen.

Lots of great local players, and only a 40 minute drive from North Cincy.

And.. some of the best Pool Room food I have ever had.

The last time I played there, I finish 5-6th out of 63 players. Got beat out by Steve Cook. This tournament starts at 730 and I was playing my last match at about 1145. Very well run fast moving calls.

Worth the plan or trip to this place.. just to experience the way a tournament should be run.

Barbara
12-20-2002, 05:15 PM
Oh man, Tacony used to run a weekly 9-ball tourny, no handicap, $10 or $15 bucks, SE. At any time you could be playing Efren or Django or anyone of the top Filipino players that were staying in the Philly area on the "Uncle Mikey LeBron" plan. Never saw Karen Corr or Julie Kelly come down to play, but it was great!!

Barbara~~~miss making the guys play me...

Fred Agnir
12-22-2002, 07:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr>

The last time I played there, I finish 5-6th out of 63 players. Got beat out by Steve Cook. This tournament starts at 730 and I was playing my last match at about 1145. <hr /></blockquote>
Awesome job, Tom. When I lived there, strangely enough I only played maybe 15 times. They used to do a race to 3 in both winners and losers side. The first time I played, I finished up past 1:00AM for 4th (70+ players). That's why I only went so few times.

Fred

Voodoo Daddy
12-22-2002, 07:23 AM
Currently, Hollywood Billiards in Hollywood Florida is the best bet down south. $15 entry handicapped tourney featuring a bounty on the winner from the week before and a nice payout to the top 4. I have seen 48-52 players there on a Tuesday night and a very low % of stiffs. The crowd made up of shortstops /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif and road warriors /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif, which makes you step it up some.

The best weekly was in the 80's at Q-Master in Davie Florida. A $20 heads up bloodbath...in which at anytime could include players like Bobby Williams {RIP}, Gary Pinkowski {RIP}, Jimmy Matz {RIP}, Jimmy Reid, Steve Mizerak, Dennis Hatch, Toby Sweet, Ritchie Ambrose, Tom Brown, George Breedlove, Wade Crane and a cast of characters only found in our sub-culture. I truely miss those days......

silverbullet
12-22-2002, 08:43 AM
In md/the dc part, we have a small local one that anyone can play in on sun. It is handicapped, double elim and costs only 15$. Although, there are occasionally A players, b-c predominate. This is the one I will be entering for the competition and the experience. Even if I go 2 and out, I still get to play a lot of games for the money and see some people play who are better than me.

On wed night in Rockville, according to ww is a step-up and you can see A- players there. The A- players tend to be money players. It is about the same price to enter.

The CAT tour is here sometimes too but they are more expensive and the women are well above my level. Would not mind the competitition if the price werent so high.

Getting my clock cleaned does not bother me. That way I get to learn from the person who beat me. Teehee.

Blu

Voodoo Daddy
12-23-2002, 06:43 AM
Tom, in the mid-late 80', the "Cookie Monster" lived in Tampa Fl. I had the pleasure of playing him several time on the Florida 9-Ball tour. I think I'm 0-5 /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif against him. Soft break but one of the very best cueballs I have ever seen. Steve has nice cueball....

PoolFan
12-23-2002, 08:16 AM
In the northeast, we have a few great tournaments.

Monday nights - Snooker's Cafe &amp; Billiards in Providence, RI
handicapped 8-ball event - $20 entry - player auction - double elim

Wednesday nights - Snooker's Cafe &amp; Billiards in Providence RI
9-Ball - $15 entry - races are 4/5 - double elim
This event closes the field at 48 and in the winter the fields are maxed especially when there are biggest weekend events in the area.
World class players are often seen at this weely event.

Thur nights - Renaissance Billiard Club in Quincy, MA
handicapped 9-ball event with player auction - attracts top players from the Boston and Providence area

Both these rooms attract great action with low entry fees and the opportunity to player world class players.

ShayneinDayton
12-23-2002, 08:54 AM
Tonights $5 tourny at Airway Billiards is their annual Christmas event. Instead of the normal $50 added, Airway will add $100. Marty Remlinger and Steve Cook will also add $50 each. Also every week Mr. Remlinger gives a free 2.5 hour lesson to a person that goes 2 and out. Tonight there will be mystery matches drawn where you will be playing for cash. All the tables have been recovered in the last 4-5 weeks. Some of the favorites will be: Frank Ruby (cashed out well in the US open), Joe Brown (Cashed out well in the Glass City Open &amp; Viking National event), Steve Cook (always a threat) &amp; Marty Remlinger (plays most of the Senior and UPA events). The last 2 weeks have had fields over 70, so I expect a good turn-out tonight. I just thought I post this in case anyone wanted to know, I don't work for Airway or anything.

Shayne
(has had a free lesson from Marty)

Tom_In_Cincy
12-23-2002, 11:33 AM
Mr. "Cookie Monster" Cooke.. is still playing one pocket too. There is a once a month One Pocket tournament at the Airways PH.. Steve always finishes in the money..

ShayneinDayton
12-23-2002, 12:20 PM
That's right Tom. He won the last one which gave him a free (Airway sponsered) entry into the one pocket event at the Derby City Classic.

The Rhino Chaser
12-23-2002, 02:46 PM
So that is where the Cookie Monster has been hiding himself. No one has seen or heard much from him in his hometown lately. Well I'm heading down to Airway tonight and if I don't play any better than last night. I will be getting Marty's free lesson.