PDA

View Full Version : The Competitive Rush

silverbullet
12-20-2002, 10:31 AM
I used to compete in a lot of karate tournaments and my mentality their was the same. I guess it should not surprise me about pool. I wonder if any of you have these kinds of feelings or if you just think I am weird.

When I have beaten a 2-3,unless it was a really good 3 or even a 4, I am sloppy and bored. Even if I won, I played sloppy pool.

When I play someone who is a little or pretty much better than I am, I go into gear and give it all I got. It is such a rush to play against better players and try to beat them. If I do not beat them, but play very well, I feel a rush on that also. And if the next time I play them, I come closer to beating them, even if they still win, man it feels great.

Without this competition against better players, my killer instinct and super focus does not come out and when I am playing these, I am in the zone, high as a kite, where nothing else matters. It is in this rush of this moment that I play my best pool and there is no better feeling. It is better than sex!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

blu

Wally_in_Cincy
12-20-2002, 01:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote silverbullet:</font><hr> ....It is better than sex!!!!.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="red">Here's two wise-a$$ answers. Take your pick: </font color>

1. Let's not get carried away /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

2. Sounds like you have your priorities straight /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

silverbullet
12-20-2002, 05:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote silverbullet:</font><hr> ....It is better than sex!!!!.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="red">Here's two wise-a$$ answers. Take your pick: </font color>

1. Let's not get carried away /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

2. Sounds like you have your priorities straight /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks wally.

blu

Rod
12-20-2002, 07:12 PM
Quote,It is better than sex!!!!

Well if you say so. I always thought hitting a golf ball sweet ranked right up there but, even that has its limitations!

bigbro6060
12-21-2002, 02:00 AM
it;s human nature to play better against better players and to play worse against worse players. Your not the only one mate /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

What made Pete Sampras so great when he dominated tennis for 5 or so years was the way he dispatched the more lowly ranked players. Mentally, it is harder to maintain absolute concentration and killer instinct playing against weaker opponents. It's why in so many sports, you get so many young players who have a stellar rookie year when they are the unknown and they are playing the better players, then the next year when everyone is gunning for them and unknowns want to knock them off, they find it harder.

So in summary, developing the skill and mental attitude to 'Make a Bit*ch of' players you should be 'Making a Bit*ch of' is just as important as playing the underdog role against a better opponent and rising to that challenge.

I've had many a match when i've seen my opponent warm up and thought "he's rubbish, i should whip him", i've taken my foot off the pedal and the match has been a real dogfight when it shouldn't have been (i usually compose myself enough to win, but not always).

I'm now really trying to pretend that EVERYONE i play is Efren Reyes so i know to put 100% effort in

silverbullet
12-21-2002, 01:26 PM
This is a great post and getting that rush going even against a lessor opponent who could beat me if I am sloppy, is something I obviously need to work on. But I still love playing the 4s.....I like your mention of playing everybody like they are Effren Reyes/.

blu