PDA

View Full Version : Do Players get compensated in Accu-Stat Tapes?

Photoguy
12-21-2002, 02:56 AM
When Accu-Stats decides to cover a tournament and a particular match-up, do those players get compensated for appearing? If so, how much? They must sign a release, but has anybody ever refused to sign a release or play if it was being taped? It would seem that Accu-Stats is making money off these tapes and I can't imagine that the players are compensated very much. . . Anybody know the true particulars?

Vicki
12-21-2002, 09:30 AM
The players are compensated @ about $1-2 per tape sold. I am not aware of anyone ever refusing to play. The players know in advance of each tournament if Accu-Stats is going to be filming. All of the players I know have a good relationship with Accu-Stats and think it's good for the game. I have never heard of the players having to sign any "release". The top player I know is getting checks for a couple hundred dollars every few months. He's happy to have the extra pocket money every now and then.

I know a few people have been a little down on Accu-Stats here lately because of the DVDs not being available yet. I want DVDs as much as anyone but I also know better than to bite the hand the feeds me and that you get more flies with honey, blah, blah, blah... They are a good company trying to improve their technology, trying to bring up the image of pool and bring it into main stream media. The only reason the US Open was on PPV was because Accu-Stats filmed it. They made a HUGE investment to be able to do it and it paid off. The PPV (if the reports are accurate) was a huge success (don't anyone start about the commentary being too much or any of the other complaints - for the first time out, enough people watched it for there to be an awful lot of complaining on all the forums about it).

Anyway, the answer to your question is, yes, they do get compensated, not enought to buy a Manhattan penthouse, but they get a real nice dinner out for themselves and a friend and the players are happy to have any additional income. The rest is just my opinion...

Vicki

Popcorn
12-21-2002, 11:31 AM
Not that many tapes make any real money. They tape a lot of matches that don't sell at all. Then they may catch a match that for various reasons becomes a big seller. Every tournament is a gamble and believe me, nobody is getting rich. I am amazed Pat has managed to stay in business this long.

Wally_in_Cincy
12-21-2002, 11:36 AM
He claims to have sold 300,000 tapes since their inception so there is at least a bit of cash flow there.

John G
12-21-2002, 12:52 PM
This is not directed at you wally, simply a point of reply. 300,00 tapes sounds like a big number but when you begin subtract salarys, taxes, promotional expences, equipment repair and upgrades,and many other costs the 'profit' from that number can dwindle pretty fast. Instead of some people complaining why don't more people join his tape of the month club in thier favorite dicipline. Then with cash flow projections based on membership perhap he could make the investment necessary to comply with your requests. It's like a person asking me to buy a special machine for thier request. Unless I know that unit will pay for itself with use it aint gonna happen. Evan nice guys have to eat. Just a thought. You all take care now, John G

Wally_in_Cincy
12-21-2002, 01:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote John G:</font><hr> This is not directed at you wally, simply a point of reply. 300,00 tapes sounds like a big number but when you begin subtract salarys, taxes, promotional expences, equipment repair and upgrades,and many other costs the 'profit' from that number can dwindle pretty fast. Instead of some people complaining why don't more people join his tape of the month club in thier favorite dicipline. Then with cash flow projections based on membership perhap he could make the investment necessary to comply with your requests. It's like a person asking me to buy a special machine for thier request. Unless I know that unit will pay for itself with use it aint gonna happen. Evan nice guys have to eat. Just a thought. You all take care now, John G <hr /></blockquote>

I agree completely. Producing TV is enormously expensive. I think the reason accu-stats is still in business is because of their judicious use of capital. Some of the earlier matches are pretty bare-bones. As time goes on they invest in better equipment and the quality goes up. I would prefer DVD like everyone else but imagine the cost of converting totally to digital. Until then I'll just enjoy the videotapes.

I am a video-of-the-month member and I sometimes call and have them add on an extra match /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

PoolFan
12-23-2002, 08:53 AM
I want to second your opinion about what Accu-Stats has done for pool. I've been a avid fan of Accu-Stats for over 11 years. They produce an outstanding product at a reasonable price. Every year, their production gets better and better.

I remember the days where there was only one camera and no commentators. Now they are light years from that. On top of that, their pricing has stayed relatively the same since they started selling videos.

Accu-Stats has continually added a great value to the billiard community. They are a positive image on this great sport and I feel that everyone who enjoys this sport should support them - DVD or not!

PoolFan - Could justify changing my handle to Accu-StatsFan

12-24-2002, 07:36 AM
How come I read a lot about the camera angles on ESPN being bad and when it's on video it's always much better?

Is it becuase the camera people aren't into pool and don't practise doing camera work? I know some of the camera people over here do. Unfortunately I can't appreciate how good the camera work is becuase I've been used to it all my life.

Photoguy
12-24-2002, 03:18 PM
I hear a lot, if not more bashing about the ESPN productions than Accu-stats, but I can tell you that ESPN productions are far more professional and "broadcast quality" than Accu-stats . . . The camera people here in the U.S. who work on ESPN are not as familiar with pool as the hardcore pool fans on this board OR the camera ops in the other countries where pool is televised regularly. When I say regularly, I don't mean 6 WPBA Tour stops a year. These WPBA tour stops are not always in areas where the top tv crew members live. We live where the work is, unless you want to travel us and neither ESPN nor Accu-stats can afford to travel a "top professional crew". Because the camera ops do not work on billiards that often, they are not going to be as knowlegable as us hardcore fans. How long did it take YOU to really get to know the game of 9-ball? When we work on baseball, we are doing about 100 games a season, then onto basketball - another 40 or so broadcasts a year, . . . this is season after season. . . .you get the idea. Then occassionally, ESPN comes to your area and hires you for one tourament a year. So yes, sometimes the camera ops are out of position . . . but not any more than Accu-stats. If you want proof, just look at the recent PPV which looked no better than a "cable access" show. . . Yes, it was great to have a live match on ppv, but that was not the place for P.F. to try and "play live television". Talk about bad angles, the PPV (and accu-stats for that matter)didn't even have hand-helds so many shots were bad angles. Part of the expensive cost of the ppv was buying a piece of equipment that was unneccessary and used by an inexperienced operator. So let's appreciate the quality of ESPN . . . the quality is really much better than most people give them credit for. And we can also appreciate what Accu-stats is and has done, but . . .ESPN and Accu-stats are really trying to reach two different markets. One, a mass audience and the other a hard-core fan.